First ride on SS

Robson

Poor man version of SS bike
IMG00010-20100629-1828.jpg

Today was my first ever SS ride in Ringwood. I think I could get used to this:)
All I need now is real SS frame and wheel:)

This setup is less than perfect...I have some noise coming from drive-train and chain skipped once from tensioner. For testing purposes it was OK.

i didnt think you would ever ride a hardtail, and a SS!
whats up wit dat? your FS niner is going to get jealous.

This setup is less than perfect...I have some noise coming from drive-train and chain skipped once from tensioner. For testing purposes it was OK.

Not enough chain on the rear cog. I have the same setup for SS conversion and i to had the chain skip, i completely removed this problem by taking out 1 more link so the tensioner was almost parallel with the bottom tube holding tension down instead of back. Never had a skip since. This bothered me for days till i finally figured it out, hope this helps.

I'm not big fan of HT but I wanted to try SS. I rode today with clear mind, no gear shifting and works perfect as training machine:D

Not enough chain on the rear cog. I have the same setup for SS conversion and i to had the chain skip, i completely removed this problem by taking out 1 more link so the tensioner was almost parallel with the bottom tube holding tension down instead of back. Never had a skip since. This bothered me for days till i finally figured it out, hope this helps.

Great, thanks. I'll try that before next ride.

Poor man version of SS bike
IMG00010-20100629-1828.jpg

Today was my first ever SS ride in Ringwood. I think I could get used to this:)
All I need now is real SS frame and wheel:)

Awesome set up man! You think youre frame is getto? LOL, my old lady shes a cannondale 1995-96' F400 with 14 years wheels rolling strong . Plus made it into an singlespeed 32x19 2 years ago & what an trip its been .. its only bike i ride now all time.. peace & keep cranking

Awesome set up man! You think youre frame is getto? LOL, my old lady shes a cannondale 1995-96' F400 with 14 years wheels rolling strong . Plus made it into an singlespeed 32x19 2 years ago & what an trip its been .. its only bike i ride now all time.. peace & keep cranking

Frame is fine, but is not designed for SS so I'm using tensioner. I'll ride some more and if I like it I'll get "real" SS frame or bike:D

Clayton Park Rock Pile

:worthlessOK oK OK oK I gotta admit, i accidently knocked over the rock pile at Clayton. But the following Sunday when I went back to ride..the pile had been refurbished! Thank YOU, and I'm sorry. I was taking a picture and didnt think it was as fragile as it had looked. Anyway this past Sunday, I added to it...no drama..just lifes little honesties! Look forward to riding past it again!

crop rocks

If you ride through the field on the trail that hugs the woods..their is a pile of rocks, others have added to it....I'm not joking...and thats that..although maybe its one of those wonders of nature...a crop rock as opposed to crop circle.;)

Last edited:
I'm not big fan of HT but I wanted to try SS. I rode today with clear mind, no gear shifting and works perfect as training machine:D

right on,rob!:)
no more chainsuck...you might wanna try racing it in ss class(just for fun,tho);)

right on,rob!:)
no more chainsuck...you might wanna try racing it in ss class(just for fun,tho);)

Liong, I can see where this fascination with SS comes from....no chain suck, no gear shifting...just ride:) I'm still experimenting but I can tell you right now I like it!

Liong, I can see where this fascination with SS comes from....no chain suck, no gear shifting...just ride:) I'm still experimenting but I can tell you right now I like it!

yeah man I thought it was a fad until I got a visit from the SS nymph now for Allaire and 6 mile the SS rules.

Evan!!! Where have you been!?

I loved your Cannondale SS! We traded my FS for his SS at LM one day and not having to worry about gears and shifting didn't leave me wanting for anything on that bike(except another ride). Someday, I'll convert my old rigid into a SS.

If I know Robson he was sold on getting a SS a week before he put this one together. So what are you going to get? :)

SS is da way to go. love the simplicity!! plus..

youre more "connected" to the trails since you have to be (you cant fall back to granny) -

you take notice of elevation changes more acutely

you learn to pick better lines through rocky/rooty areas.

plus, its a more of a full body workout (my shoulders and arms have certainly become stronger/ more defined). having no suspension adds to that as well (my triceps were sore for a few days after LM on Sunday)

all else being equal it without question makes you stronger.

did I mention the simplicity?!

Back
Top Bottom