Conditions?

i went to hartshorne today...i did that big uphill in the beginning and started to feel rain drops but i did the climb so i did a bit of the trail until i felt big drops thru the trees...got scared away by that turned out it didnt even rain...but that place is cool as hell...after the rain though its back to allaire for a day or 2

went to hartshorne today suprisingly dry after all the rain we have had in the past 2 days, did the whole grand tour trail and rocky point very few muddy spots, great riding

anyone get out at hart or huber recently? i'm thinking about a sunday ride and was trying to get a feel for how wet its been lately with all the rain rolling through.

I've been there a few times after the rain and it is pretty good the day after. There are a few spots on the lower end of Grand Tour that are muddy but the majority of the trails are high and dry. If it rains Saturday night its probably not a good idea. Other then that have fun.

Paul

5/11/08 update

Got in almost 3 hours this morning, conditions are dry and FAST!! There's a couple loose spots here and there but nothing abnormal...There was however a larger than usual number of a)people walking dogs sans leash...b)people riding mountain bikes in cutoffs and no helmet...c)mountain bikers that feel the terrain at Hartshorne is technical enough to need a 7inch travel free-ride bike;)

-Jim.

Rode Hartshorn today way fast there.trails are in good shape most fun, dont know what there going to be like after the weekend( there calling for rain) lots of fun.

Rode Today

Rode all of Hartshorne today - trail conditions were PERFECT. Bone dry, but not too sandy. Great weather for riding too.

Not so nice...

Rode Hartshorne yesterday for the first time in several weeks, and I was appalled by the wear and tear on that place. The park is just plain beaten down. Deep rain ruts abound, roots are way more exposed than they ought to be, water bars are falling apart or totally gone.

Anyone who rides Allaire or 6 Mile can see the benefit of the love those parks are receiving. It's a shame that the Monmouth County Parks administration makes is so difficult for meaningful work to get done in their parks. I know that Bryan S. and Mike F., among others, want to get more done in these places, so it's not like there's a lack of enthusiasm on the user end of things.

Hartshorne's current trail network is in dire condition and I hate to think of what it will look like by spring if something doesn't change.

Yes it is sad that Monmouth County is so stringent on TM. I barely have the time to get out to do TM and they want me to spend a whole day training for TM.

Huber has had maintenance done recently. It is better than it was in mid summer but, and I'm not an expert here, I'm afraid it may not last. The people who did the work out took out many of the water bars. Not sure why?? I thought they were there to help prevent erosion and washouts of the hill trails. :hmmm:

Rode Hartshorne yesterday for the first time in several weeks, and I was appalled by the wear and tear on that place. The park is just plain beaten down. Deep rain ruts abound, roots are way more exposed than they ought to be, water bars are falling apart or totally gone.

Anyone who rides Allaire or 6 Mile can see the benefit of the love those parks are receiving. It's a shame that the Monmouth County Parks administration makes is so difficult for meaningful work to get done in their parks. I know that Bryan S. and Mike F., among others, want to get more done in these places, so it's not like there's a lack of enthusiasm on the user end of things.

Hartshorne's current trail network is in dire condition and I hate to think of what it will look like by spring if something doesn't change.

I got in a quick tour of Hart today and was about to write the same exact thing when I got home. I totally agree with what you are saying about Hart being "shot". With the trails being so wide and so torn up, it looks more like an off-road course than a proper hike/bike trail. Like you said rain ruts, many wash outs, multiple shortcuts/no definite line of trail, a few trees that have fallen with re-routes already dug in pretty well.

It is a shame. For one, I think the park has a lot of potential with the hills they have there. Not to mention that it is 7 minutes from my house yet I hardly go there - I get too fustrated with the place.

I know it gets a bunch of use, but why can't they allow a group to come in and help maintain? Allaire doesn't have the hills yet the trails are much better.

So a message to the trail master/crew @ Hartshore: you guys should be embarassed - the place looks and rides like crap.

I am supposed to coach soccer next Saturday for my kid's team, but may bail so I can get over for the 9-12 session. The place needs some work badly.

So a message to the trail master/crew @ Hartshore: you guys should be embarassed - the place looks and rides like crap.

I'm just saying what I know. The Monmouth County Park System is probably the most difficult to deal with from the maintenance stand point. And remember that the trail master/crew are volunteers & they have nothing to be embarrassed about. Their hands are tied. It's the Park System & the people who ride the trails, when they probably shouldn't, that should be embarrassed. Call the park & tell them how you fell & see what kind of response you get. Maybe it might light a fire under 1 of these bureaucratic types over there.

water bars

From the IMBa website:

"Many contour trails lack enough grade dips to impede the flow of water and so structures are built into the trail afterwards to relieve the situation. Drainage structures such as rock water bars, wooden check dams, or ditches have traditionally been tried. However, these structures have many faults: a) they require constant maintenance b) they clog up with sediment quickly c) strong water events wash right over the top d) users can't negotiate them so they go around, thus widening the tread. It's true that something is better than nothing to keep water from ruining a trail, but if its not doing its job and its forcing users off the trail, there must be a better way. Our secret weapon is the "Rolling Grade Dip" or "RGD", which is a device that imitates the qualities of a natural grade dip."

http://www.imba.com/resources/trail_building/gradedips_2.html

Kirt...They are not a smart idea if they are not going to be kept up...The bars in Hartshorne are DANGEROUS...I guess I have to see one that has been maintained properly

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions