Clean Start

iman29

Hi!

How y'all doing?
It's 5 or so months later, and so much has happened.

View attachment 169062

Portfolio is doing great - but of course that is not what this graph is showing!

Peaked over the Mendoza Line at the beginning of the week, and that triggers all sorts of warnings.
It was easier to stop eating when I started thinking about heart attacks, and the other great health
complications that accompany all my clothes not fitting.

Just in case you want to play along at home - the goal line is 170. That is a bit too light, but at the time (2017) i did want to get there.
the second low is 173 in Oct 2018 - when I was running regularly. March 2020, beginning of pandemic was 183, and coming off a great winter training session using zwift and doing @Glenn's meetups.

A little heavier and feeling strong at the beginning of the pandemic....
wait (weight?) I think i've already explained this.

Now it is just time to do something about it. Luckily I'm not a pumpkin beer fan.

Stay tuned - I saw 205 on the scale, will update as I try to figure out how to ride a bike again.
you know what needs to be done so just get er done. small changes and realistic goals each week, month make it more feasible.

I find I need to avoid thoughts like “back in 2019 I was so much faster” and put more focus on “well last week I was able to ride or exercise at least 4-5 days.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Well - now that I wasted 3 months, the good news is I haven't gained any more weight!
Will step on the scale Monday morning, get an official starting number and work my way (weigh?)
back down.

Couple things I can count on. With the Dry January experience, I was consistently working out.
Mostly on the trainer, because i wasn't two beers into it at 7:00 with nothing on tv except the lion king.
Was easy enough to go downstairs to hit the trainer and catch some trending netflix bs while zwifting through central park.
Going to try to recreate that.

My wife is getting her 2nd ACL replacement 1/4 - last one failed at the graft. Seems the dr didn't realize she liked to
walk/jog/hike/bike, and didn't screw the thing down. Used an alternate connection method. Oh well - after a year of PT and OT,
she finally got a 2nd MRI with another dr that confirmed the failure. So I'll need to be around for a week or so until she is
ambulatory. Only problem with being home is grazing, so there may need to be a purge of the pantry.
Or go with the locked closet ala @UtahJoe.

We'll see - mostly going to put stuff in the Biggest Loser thread, and see if we can tow each other along.

Going uphill feels quite a bit better at a lighter weight.

Patrick

Staff member
@Patrick how long have you been hovering over 200lbs? How tall are you that you want to get down to 170ish?

At last check, I was still over 5'10"

Tale of the tape - working backwards

Starting 2021 I was 195 (pictured), got a little diet thing going, with Dry Jan, and BIYF indoor edition. I don't recall why I failed, miserably, to continue as the world started coming out of its shell. Maybe just drinking too much? My wife's knee problems also kept her/us from doing things so we turned to food/bevs as our activity.
Starting 2020 I was right around 180, and had just posted a new high for FTP doing winter training and coming off a decent year.
From mid 2017 to late 2019 I was in the 170s - I felt great.
I ran a marathon in Oct 2018 at 173ish. There was a low point below 170, but felt forced.
Prior to that, 2012-2017 I was in the low 180s until i let it get to 190+ at the beginning of the graph. Def had more upper body muscle mass tho.
I was around 205 for a few years prior to that because of an injury and apathy (got in a bad spot mentally)

IMG_1230.PNG

All the weight i put on is concentrated between mid thigh and sternum. I can hide it with a sweatshirt.

While ya can rip on the bike and the tri onesie, This is kinda where I want to be - March 2019 short track (photo: @capedoc)

1641651640476.png

Sept 2018 when I was training for the marathon. (with Coach Lauren)

1641651903239.png

So you can see that a lot of damage was done in not-too-long a time.

me right now

1641652503528.png

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
At last check, I was still over 5'10"

Tale of the tape - working backwards

Starting 2021 I was 195 (pictured), got a little diet thing going, with Dry Jan, and BIYF indoor edition. I don't recall why I failed, miserably, to continue as the world started coming out of its shell. Maybe just drinking too much? My wife's knee problems also kept her/us from doing things so we turned to food/bevs as our activity.
Starting 2020 I was right around 180, and had just posted a new high for FTP doing winter training and coming off a decent year.
From mid 2017 to late 2019 I was in the 170s - I felt great.
I ran a marathon in Oct 2018 at 173ish. There was a low point below 170, but felt forced.
Prior to that, 2012-2017 I was in the low 180s until i let it get to 190+ at the beginning of the graph. Def had more upper body muscle mass tho.
I was around 205 for a few years prior to that because of an injury and apathy (got in a bad spot mentally)

View attachment 175533

All the weight i put on is concentrated between mid thigh and sternum. I can hide it with a sweatshirt.

While ya can rip on the bike and the tri onesie, This is kinda where I want to be - March 2019 short track (photo: @capedoc)

View attachment 175534

Sept 2018 when I was training for the marathon. (with Coach Lauren)

View attachment 175535

So you can see that a lot of damage was done in not-too-long a time.

me right now

View attachment 175541
Maybe drinking too much? I think we know the answer to that one, unless we talking about water and in that case, not drinking enough.

I have messaged you on the side a bunch but figured it belongs in the public light. Your pattern, the way of the Pat, seems to be don’t do anything for ‘x’ period and then try to ramp up quickly and get either demotivated and or hurt. We have seen this in BIYF many times. Anyways, why not try and break that cycle?

You have mentioned that riding part is easy for me because it is just part of my daily routine. So aim to make this stuff daily routine. Riding is the most fun so easier to do, start out with 45-60 min every day. You already get up at 4am, go out and do it then. Keep doing this until it is just something you do every day regardless. Add intensity if you feel you need to.

Patrick

Staff member
Maybe drinking too much? I think we know the answer to that one, unless we talking about water and in that case, not drinking enough.

I have messaged you on the side a bunch but figured it belongs in the public light. Your pattern, the way of the Pat, seems to be don’t do anything for ‘x’ period and then try to ramp up quickly and get either demotivated and or hurt. We have seen this in BIYF many times. Anyways, why not try and break that cycle?

You have mentioned that riding part is easy for me because it is just part of my daily routine. So aim to make this stuff daily routine. Riding is the most fun so easier to do, start out with 45-60 min every day. You already get up at 4am, go out and do it then. Keep doing this until it is just something you do every day regardless. Add intensity if you feel you need to.

i had broken that pattern - had a solid 2017-2019 - just let it get away from me.

Think about it - the pandemic could have been the best time to make any fitness gain anyone wanted. we all couldn't go anywhere. weights, ride, run, xc ski, hike - were all on the board. Happy hour starting at 1:00 and lasting until i fell asleep was def the two bladed sword. Once it started, there was no hitting the trainer. So that has to end.

I'm def going with a more reasonable approach - I just got to get started.
Was thinking about a nice hike in the Sourlands - also lets me see what needs to be done.

I hear ya.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
i had broken that pattern - had a solid 2017-2019 - just let it get away from me.

Think about it - the pandemic could have been the best time to make any fitness gain anyone wanted. we all couldn't go anywhere. weights, ride, run, xc ski, hike - were all on the board. Happy hour starting at 1:00 and lasting until i fell asleep was def the two bladed sword. Once it started, there was no hitting the trainer. So that has to end.

I'm def going with a more reasonable approach - I just got to get started.
Was thinking about a nice hike in the Sourlands - also lets me see what needs to be done.

I hear ya.
Well, 2019 was two years ago now. Not sure if the happy hour starting at 1 is a joke or not, but if it isn’t…

rick81721

Lothar

This. If you're not exercising regularly - you're just whistling dixie and will continue on the annual roller coaster.

The Kalmyk

Hey Pat-

You’d know this way more than I...

The difference between applied math and pure math? Applied math can get us to the moon. So, we know you know what to do. Like you said, it’s time for some applied knowledge... Too the moon🤘🏻🤘🏻

Patrick

Staff member
Well, 2019 was two years ago now. Not sure if the happy hour starting at 1 is a joke or not, but if it isn’t…

some days. esp when the wife finished up early or the weekend.
reeled that in awhile back - still was every day, which has to stop also.

Hey Pat-

You’d know this way more than I...

The difference between applied math and pure math? Applied math can get us to the moon. So, we know you know what to do. Like you said, it’s time for some applied knowledge... Too the moon🤘🏻🤘🏻

just gotta get back at it.

Your pattern, the way of the Pat,

50 easy minutes on the zwifter - while attempting to rewatch season 3 of Dark.
That show burns me out.

Patrick

Staff member
Got out to 6MR before the rain today with @w_b - solid base on a loop out of jaques across SMR orange out/red back.
Great traction - it is a fatbike. Warren had no problem on his cute, little tires - so all good.

Almost two hours, with 2/3 of it in Zone 2, and 1/3 in Zone 3. A little longer than I wanted, but we were Cadillacing the place,
so all good.

Crushed a protein bar after the ride, and a slice of pizza when I got home. Nap time!

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
Got out to 6MR before the rain today with @w_b - solid base on a loop out of jaques across SMR orange out/red back.
Great traction - it is a fatbike. Warren had no problem on his cute, little tires - so all good.

Almost two hours, with 2/3 of it in Zone 2, and 1/3 in Zone 3. A little longer than I wanted, but we were Cadillacing the place,
so all good.

Crushed a protein bar after the ride, and a slice of pizza when I got home. Nap time!
I am glad you got out. In the vein of of you wanting to change habits, 1:50 ride, mostly zone 2.

I looked up a couple 20 gram bars, 200-280 calories. That is a hefty calorie tag for a low effort ride. Food for thought

The Kalmyk

I am glad you got out. In the vein of of you wanting to change habits, 1:50 ride, mostly zone 2.

I looked up a couple 20 gram bars, 200-280 calories. That is a hefty calorie tag for a low effort ride. Food for thought

No doubt- Pat wouldve better off eating turkey breast. Tbr

Patrick

Staff member

15g 200 cal.

Seemed ok - incrementally I had to burn more calories than 200 in two hours in the cooler temps.
Wanted to get the protein in right away also. that seemed to work in the before time.

Pat- im assuming you are referring to hr zones? Or do you use a power meter?

yes - HR. Trying not to start out with a heart attack, which would set me back significantly.

Not sure where i'd even set power zones at this point! will look at the strava stuff for zwift over the next month.

Top Bottom