Clean Start

trailhead

JORBA: Wildcat/Splitrock
JORBA.ORG
wrestling a snowthrower around is no fun, I have many hours doing so and have fallen like that several times. It just comes with those who do. Take your vitamins, apply some heat. in the mean time continue your "intellectual pursuits" ;)

Victor I

aka Ridgehog
Argh! After good start to the year - solid number of January hours, the curse returns.

Seems every time I get on a little streak, and build some momentum - i get derailed.
This time was really special, as it made me feel old. Like when your parents do something
"dumb" and you see it coming and wonder why they didn't know.
Most of my previous injuries were at least notable, in that I was trying to do something.
This one - dumb.

That second snowfall in January, I'm returning the snowblower to the neighbor's house, and I see some clear ice on
their driveway - I steer clear of it, and go and blow some snow where they have a tight fit for their car.
As I go to leave and put the snowblower in its spot - moving backwards i hit the ice. On my way down,
one word pops into my head. IDIOT.

Instinctively put my hand out splayed - which i would never do snowboarding, and just hammer my palm/wrist.
It hurts, but not too bad. Figure I can ignore it. Didn't wrap it, or take it easy - and after a week, it was hurting
more. Great - so i use one of these braces, and after a couple days it felt much better. I even rode the sourlands
with the brace. Not the best idea, and i'd say it set me back a bit. So shut it down. Probably could have stuck to
riding the zwifter - but now i'm just not in the mental state to get back. Going to try to restart tomorrow. Probably a couple
weeks until I'm really ready to ride - but i'm not sure i'll wait. with the weather warming-up, i might not be able to help myself.

FML - if i fall and break my hip, shoot me.

View attachment 153245
Sorry man. The only good part about being out of commission right now are the trails SUCK. Hope to see you again at High Mountain on your fully rigid fat bike by April. Of course I’ll be sure to get the f-ck out of your way this time on some of the downhills as you tend to monster truck at high speeds there. Have no idea how you do it with all the jagged litter of rocks everywhere😅. This pic is you on one of the few smooth surfaces there.
A9E3A174-4EDC-4EB1-A604-5478B0A98F7C.png

Last edited:

iman29

i would say for the mental state thing, IMHO its better to get a professional diagnosis so you know it will take xxx time to heal and you know the severity. Also you dont want to risk it healing improperly that may then require more complicated procedure to fix.

When I hurt my shoulder in end of December, I waited 2 weeks for the swelling to go down but after that I knew something was wrong (visual bump at the AC joint). I felt much better after getting the xray and knowing it was a mild injury with no surgery needed, and I didnt make it any worse ignoring it for the 2 weeks I went back out riding.

I agree the $40 sling I didnt really need and I only wore it for a few days on and off, but it did help to rest the shoulder more especially after my home based self PT exercises I had to do . While I could have probably gone outside the 2 weeks I stayed indoors, the risk of falling and making it worse longer term was all the motivation in needed.

I always feel like better safe than sorry is the way to go but hopefully it gets better sooner than later. Otherwise no shame in Zwifting to stay fit so youre doing "something" which is better than nothing.

serviceguy

Sorry man. The only good part about being out of commission right now are the trails SUCK. Hope to see you again at High Mountain on your fully rigid fat bike by April. Of course I’ll be sure to get the f-ck out of your way this time on some of the downhills as you tend to monster truck at high speeds there. Have no idea how you do it with all the jagged litter of rocks everywhere😅. This pic is you on one of the few smooth surfaces there.
View attachment 153318
After seeing the picture of @Patrick wearing his sleeveless triathlon suit at Allamuchy in 2019 (?) it’s hard to imagine him in anything else, let alone an OOS official shirt!

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
wrist is feeling good without the brace - i'm going to continue wearing it on the bike for a bit longer.
make sure i don't crank it doing something (it doesn't have to be stupid for me to hurt myself now)

I am wrecked from yesterday's marathon TM session at RV. I'm quite happy with the results,
as there were a few items on my list that have been bugging me. Mostly blow down that was moved
partially off the trail, or someone cut it, but decided not to cut it back far enough not to interfere.

Both hammies decided to seize up on me around 8pm - almost puked from the pain.
Drank some pickle juice, and had a salty slice of pizza. Made it through the night without re-occuring.
Doing a little stretching and roller work today.

Need to go and walk our local trails, to see if there is any wind damage. I'm sure the river went over the bank
and dropped some debris.

I'm still hungry all of the time. Anyone have a good appetite suppressant? natural or not.

I updated 6MR trail status to caution on here and TF. Looks like a few more bands of rain coming through,
then sunny and windy for a couple days. Prepare for April showers....

iman29

wrist is feeling good without the brace - i'm going to continue wearing it on the bike for a bit longer.
make sure i don't crank it doing something (it doesn't have to be stupid for me to hurt myself now)

I am wrecked from yesterday's marathon TM session at RV. I'm quite happy with the results,
as there were a few items on my list that have been bugging me. Mostly blow down that was moved
partially off the trail, or someone cut it, but decided not to cut it back far enough not to interfere.

Both hammies decided to seize up on me around 8pm - almost puked from the pain.
Drank some pickle juice, and had a salty slice of pizza. Made it through the night without re-occuring.
Doing a little stretching and roller work today.

Need to go and walk our local trails, to see if there is any wind damage. I'm sure the river went over the bank
and dropped some debris.

I'm still hungry all of the time. Anyone have a good appetite suppressant? natural or not.

I updated 6MR trail status to caution on here and TF. Looks like a few more bands of rain coming through,
then sunny and windy for a couple days. Prepare for April showers....

At the risk of stating the obvious you likely ended up dehydrated which can more easily happen when it’s not that hot out.

I am also always hungry so one trick is to keep a water bottle handy and when you feel the urge to snack drink water instead. I learned this along my weight loss and fitness journey and it does help. I have a few cycling bottles that are only for indoor use for this purpose. I probably drink 3-5 of them per day depends what I am doing.

Small (healthy) snacks during the day help me too I can’t ever go more than a few hours without something to eat. An apple with some peanut butter to dip the slices in is more filling than you think.

Just my 2.5 cents but everyone is different.

Patrick

Staff member
At the risk of stating the obvious you likely ended up dehydrated which can more easily happen when it’s not that hot out.

I am also always hungry so one trick is to keep a water bottle handy and when you feel the urge to snack drink water instead. I learned this along my weight loss and fitness journey and it does help. I have a few cycling bottles that are only for indoor use for this purpose. I probably drink 3-5 of them per day depends what I am doing.

Small (healthy) snacks during the day help me too I can’t ever go more than a few hours without something to eat. An apple with some peanut butter to dip the slices in is more filling than you think.

Just my 2.5 cents but everyone is different.

i'm sure i did dehydrate, at one point the sweat was dripping - also asked a lot of my body.
def didn't drink enough while out there, given the giant body of water available for refill, not sure why just the one big bottle.
Did have 32oz of beer and another 20oz of water after getting home. :cool:

greek yogurt and bananas are typically in rotation.

i do the same with the water - i just can't shake the constant desire for a roast beast sammy w/mayo, lots of s&p, and provolone, on a round roll......🤤
might have to do the dreaded cleanse to reset. #grouchyPat

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
i'm sure i did dehydrate, at one point the sweat was dripping - also asked a lot of my body.
def didn't drink enough while out there, given the giant body of water available for refill, not sure why just the one big bottle.
Did have 32oz of beer and another 20oz of water after getting home. :cool:

greek yogurt and bananas are typically in rotation.

i do the same with the water - i just can't shake the constant desire for a roast beast sammy w/mayo, lots of s&p, and provolone, on a round roll......🤤
might have to do the dreaded cleanse to reset. #grouchyPat
Fwiw, cleanse culture isn’t needed if you get your normal diet in check.
You can eat whatever the hell sandwich you described as long as it is one, but you make it sound like you eat this a few times a day.

Also, how much alcohol did you drink after a day of being de-hydrated? I am not sure if the 32oz of beer was a joke or not. I assume it played a part but your hamstrings shouldn’t be locking up after a day of work. Break out the red flag warning...

Patrick

Staff member
eat this a few times a day.

i'm grazing - eating way too much

hamstrings shouldn’t be locking up after a day of work.

asked too much of the legs 5.5 hours out there with a 35lb (?) pack -
it's happened before - after first HOH, middle of Hillier, etc., back when i was a noob.
not too worried about it - but it is time for a well visit - so will mention it.

Patrick

Staff member
I know this is a crazy idea, esp on a board about cycling, but how about just riding more? Then it doesn't (much) matter what you eat.
True. But I'm stuffing my face.

Apple cider vinegar

ok ! will try.

---

I've gotten out of the habit of eating on schedule - which might be part of it..
been bad about breakfast - which probably sets me up for a bad day.
gotta check out the surge in grapenuts popularity. i heard there was a run on it. ;)

Top Bottom