Campmor H2H Ringwood Fall Classic Race 9/7

I got caught in the lightning in Killington. I was at the at the top of the mountain. There was no time delay between the lightning and sound. I was like a stick on the bike waiting to get struck. I survided it. But it was a fun race.

emrah

2 years ago at the Vermont 50, "decent" amount of training in prior to the race; riding a very good race, about mile 35ish, at the top of the climb, pushing to get over the top of the climb and oh boy.:( Like somebody shot the back of my knee with a high powered rife. Talk about pain.

I forget my exact (time) numbers, was going well, (about a 5:45 projected finish) anyhow. Sat there on the trail, figured things out, and "Screw it, going to finish this thing... only 15 miles... allot of time and money already spent, how bad could it be..I can finish this thing out..) Turns out I had a "Baker Cyst" rupture on that climb.

To do the first 35ish miles took me (about) under 4 hours, and that was the good news. = things got worse, much worse. I was so slow the remainder of the race, god it was awful, pedaled with one leg.

Towards the end, dead people where passing me, still kept going. About the 6 hour mark (should have been finished by then) I'm on top on Mount Ascutny, (5 miles to go (?)) and it freaking came down. Pelted by rain the size of golf balls, lighting, a wall of wind, couldn't see much of anything, the Boogieman is running around in the woods. Scary stuff.

Getting pounded by the wind and the rain, lighting cracking all around, mud pits, thinking to myself "normal people are home with there families, watching football, cooking, playing with the kids.... nooooooooooo not me.. I obviously have issues to be doing something this freaking stupid..." Automatic "Stupid Award" for me.

Literally limped in (about (6:55ish), orginally very bummed. With the benifit of hindsite. Thats one race that sticks out in my memories, and brings a smile to my face. Your not going to get memories like this watching Football:D

Ellen can verify but they were supposed to mark the course last night. I would think they went ahead with the marking.

They finished marking at about 5pm last night. I rode after that - easy to follow.

Saw several people riding the course backwards - at least that is what I assumed when we passed in opposite directions. Is there some advantage to that?

To Ellen and Art: Please run the race on Sunday. We'll abstain from pre-riding tomorrow (admittedly the thunderstorms will make that decision easy) but if the weather is nice Sunday, let's go ahead with the race please. This'll most likely be my last race for some time.

Ummm, Justin you didn't say pretty please! :p

RC ...

2 years ago at the Vermont 50, "decent" amount of training in prior to the race; riding a very good race, about mile 35ish, at the top of the climb, pushing to get over the top of the climb and oh boy.:( Like somebody shot the back of my knee with a high powered rife. Talk about pain.

I forget my exact (time) numbers, was going well, (about a 5:45 projected finish) anyhow. Sat there on the trail, figured things out, and "Screw it, going to finish this thing... only 15 miles... allot of time and money already spent, how bad could it be..I can finish this thing out..) Turns out I had a "Baker Cyst" rupture on that climb.

To do the first 35ish miles took me (about) under 4 hours, and that was the good news. = things got worse, much worse. I was so slow the remainder of the race, god it was awful, pedaled with one leg.

Towards the end, dead people where passing me, still kept going. About the 6 hour mark (should have been finished by then) I'm on top on Mount Ascutny, (5 miles to go (?)) and it freaking came down. Pelted by rain the size of golf balls, lighting, a wall of wind, couldn't see much of anything, the Boogieman is running around in the woods. Scary stuff.

Getting pounded by the wind and the rain, lighting cracking all around, mud pits, thinking to myself "normal people are home with there families, watching football, cooking, playing with the kids.... nooooooooooo not me.. I obviously have issues to be doing something this freaking stupid..." Automatic "Stupid Award" for me.

Literally limped in (about (6:55ish), orginally very bummed. With the benifit of hindsite. Thats one race that sticks out in my memories, and brings a smile to my face. Your not going to get memories like this watching Football:D

Sounda like an experience. I hid myself into the bushes for almost 35 minutes during that storm. But yours tops mine.

Emrah

Yes, course is marked and race is still on. Check our website: http://www.rvccmtb.com/ for updates after 6:30am Sunday, if you think it is questionable, but weather looks like it will blow through tonight. The rains should tighten up the ground a bit, but may leave a few slippery rocks. And we all know that mountain bikers love that stuff :D.

The beginners will be doing a shorter course, as shown on the map. This should make it easier for the kids, although there are some tough technical climbs near the end that some may prefer to portage. No shame in that, when most kids bikes weight more than they do. Some of us grown ups walk too. ;)

Hope to see you!

good luck everyone. gonna be an interesting race for sure.

Gotta say I was shocked to see the place so dry. I was riding through the parking lot expecting to see mud-covered racers. No one had anything on them. Had all of them already cleaned up?

A couple of big puddles on fire roads that are always there. Otherwise the course was bone dry.

Gotta say I was shocked to see the place so dry. I was riding through the parking lot expecting to see mud-covered racers. No one had anything on them. Had all of them already cleaned up?

A couple of big puddles on fire roads that are always there. Otherwise the course was bone dry.
I guess that just shows how dry the state is right now, that we could have that much rain and not muddy up the course. For the record, my unofficial rain measurement was six inches - that's how much water I had to drain from my pool Sunday morning. Weather.com claims 3.56 inches.

Tell them who was the dirtiest of them all!

I think he rode through the fire road puddles just for fun.

I did that a few times too :cool:

The switchbacks and renegade kicked my butt and I'm still tired today. It was a tough race but that made finishing feel that much better.

Thanks to RVCC for putting on another awesome race.

There were a few nice drop offs that made me glad I left the DHX 5 shock on my bike.

Back
Top Bottom