Big feet/flat pedals?

Ride On

Great thread! I switched from SPDs to Flats about 3 years ago after blowing out my ACL and having my hip resurfaced (in the same season). After my surgery I couldn't afford to have one of those unexpected 1 mph falls on to my hip and risk breaking my femur from where the new ball joint has been inserted. One thing I noticed with flats - is that I have learned to ride "lighter" and use my legs as shocks which has improved my riding (especially on descents). I still ride with SPD shoes with the clips removed. They are Shimano MTB shoes that have a really stiff soul but they are starting to get beat up. I keep meaning to get a pair five-tens but I don't know any place that sells them. I am hesitant to buy shoes online without trying them on first. I was thinking of trying Vans... there sould surface seems like it would provide good traction but I am thinking they would have too much flexation.

Can anyone recommend a good shoe for flats (besides Five-Tens) that you can actually buy in a store?

Frank

Sasquatch
I just switched a bike back over to flats last weekend after unsuccessfully unclipping on a bridge and was the guy who ended up in the stream
Oddly during the whole ride, my feet wanted to migrate to the front about a half inch and I've always previously ridden on my the balls of my feet as well.
I don't have big feet, but because of the migration, found my outside toes catching roots and stuff along the trail, especially when off the saddle
Doesn't moving your foot forward contribute to more toe strikes?
If you are hitting your toes in turns, you may want adjust your riding style rather than foot position. One way to have a bad wreck is to have your inside (of the turn) pedal down and the outside up, you can hit a root and actually lift the rear tire off the ground. Focus more on ratcheting your pedals so the your outside pedal is low in turns.
images.jpg

rick81721

Lothar
If you are hitting your toes in turns, you may want adjust your riding style rather than foot position. One way to have a bad wreck is to have your inside (of the turn) pedal down and the outside up, you can hit a root and actually lift the rear tire off the ground. Focus more on ratcheting your pedals so the your outside pedal is low in turns.
View attachment 52140

From @BiknBen 's skills clinics, ideally pedals should be level in turns. That's what I try to remember.

PS my worst pedal strike crash was at Wharton on a flat section. Pedaling with light snow on the ground at a pretty good pace and one pedal caught on a root. Bike stopped dead and i kept going. Not sure what you can do about that.

qclabrat

View attachment 52140
From @BiknBen 's skills clinics, ideally pedals should be level in turns. That's what I try to remember.

PS my worst pedal strike crash was at Wharton on a flat section. Pedaling with light snow on the ground at a pretty good pace and one pedal caught on a root. Bike stopped dead and i kept going. Not sure what you can do about that.

Yep, that's how I coast as well (parallel per Ben), but when I lean into turns and pedal at the same time and the toes point down for traction. The forward foot position was catching from time to time. Not every time of course, but it I made me think each time.... hey that's something different and glad my shoe didn't get wedged in an exposed root

Frank

Sasquatch
I learned the technique I posted while surviving DH racing in the early 2000's, works for me.

stumps happen

Juggernaut

Master of the Metaphor

Wasn't that the day I saw you there?

rick81721

Lothar
stumps happen

I guess I jinxed myself as today at mercer I had an almost identical crash to the one at Wharton. Bike stopped dead on something and I flew like superman. Difference was at Wharton the sandy soil was frozen solid into concrete and I cracked a few ribs. This time it was like landing on a mattress - aaahhh - well not really but no harm done.

Frank

Sasquatch
Well I thought it might be time for a bit of an update:
  • I've only had one flare-up since I switched to these pedals. I thought it was a pressure issue, but it may be an issue that arises when my immune system is challenged....not much I can do about that without spending tons of cash on Dr. visits.
  • I will add that there are times my feet would start to hurt and rather than push through it, I now move my foot position on the pedal and all is good.
  • I've adapted to flats rather well and, so far, have not shinned myself.
  • No falls this winter due to frozen cleats!!
  • No cold transfer from cold cleats.
  • My Five-ten shoes have way more grip than my Wolvhammers, so I put the longer pins in and fixed that issue.
  • I'm definitely converted, I don't think I will ever go back to being clipped in unless there's a log-over contest......I still haven't mastered it with flats.

terrabike01

Well I thought it might be time for a bit of an update:
  • I've only had one flare-up since I switched to these pedals. I thought it was a pressure issue, but it may be an issue that arises when my immune system is challenged....not much I can do about that without spending tons of cash on Dr. visits.
  • I will add that there are times my feet would start to hurt and rather than push through it, I now move my foot position on the pedal and all is good.
  • I've adapted to flats rather well and, so far, have not shinned myself.
  • No falls this winter due to frozen cleats!!
  • No cold transfer from cold cleats.
  • My Five-ten shoes have way more grip than my Wolvhammers, so I put the longer pins in and fixed that issue.
  • I'm definitely converted, I don't think I will ever go back to being clipped in unless there's a log-over contest......I still haven't mastered it with flats.
Five Tens are the s#%%*#&(it

Frank

Sasquatch
I mean if you're not using those Wolvhammers and they are my size i'm sure we can beer trade for these...
Oh I'm using them...trust me. I do have a pair of Lakes that are gathering dust if you'd like to try them.

Ian F

A couple of my teammates got a set of Catalyst pedals and like them so far. Definitely a different feel, they say.

From racing DH on low BB bikes with a lot of sag, I am somewhat "used" to pedal strikes. Often at least one per run. Granted, I think they are actually easier to ride through with clipless than with flats.

Top Bottom