Big feet/flat pedals?

Frank

Sasquatch
I've been riding for many years and always used spd pedals, even when I raced dh in the early 2000's, but recent events have me wondering if I've been doing myself wrong. I tried running flats but never felt love for them, especially on sketchy, technical sections where I was happy to be clipped in so I didn't have to worry about coming off the pedals. Over the last 5 years I've been experiencing swelling issues in my feet and after x-rays from a podiatrist, it turns out that I have arthritis in my big toe joints which flare up from time to time. A friend had told me to get rid of my "clown shoes" for a couple of years now and I have been hesitant as I never thought the two were related, but a link to a web-site got me thinking. I have size 13 (48) feet and always put a lot of pedal pressure on the balls of my feet and that's where the pain usually starts after a big ride.

And now my question is....
  1. Does anyone else have the same type of arthritis issue?
  2. How do you treat it?
  3. Has anyone switched to flats as a result of foot issues?
I will add that I ordered a pair of the Catalyst pedals as they have a larger platform and will hopefully support my foot better.

Any input is appreciated.
Thanks,
Frank

I switched back to flat pedals many years ago for a different reason (recovering from ACL replacement) and never looked back. Accept the fact that there is a learning curve, and you will probably hate riding flats for a month or two. Stick with it! And definitely get yourself a pair of 5-10 shoes.

I don't know anyone who has tried the Pedal Innovations personally, but I have followed James Wilson (founder/owner) for a while and he is legit. He has a few workout programs geared towards MTBers that focused on core exercises and mobility. He can get a bit preachy with the "Gospel of flat pedals" but usually gives solid advice.

I had experienced knee pain when riding with SPD pedals for couple years and no matter how I adjusted them, my right knee ended up hurting after a while. I switched over to Shimano MX80 Saint flat pedals for MTN bike and as suggested above, 5-10 shoes (Freerider Contact). Neither one is cheap and the pedals are kind of heavy (but they're big which may be a plus for big feet), and they can take a beating.

Definitely have a pair of 5-10 shoes to go with the pedals...thanks. @J-Dro ,I've been running flats on the fatty for a few weeks now and yes, there is a learning curve. I'm going to stick with it more as I hope it will help with my issue. @adogg, good to know as I was looking at those pedals as well....perhaps for my dh bike, as I hope to ride that with @mattybfat this summer.

good to know as I was looking at those pedals as well....perhaps for my dh bike, as I hope to ride that with @mattybfat this summer.

By today's standards, Saint pedals are on the thick side. Remember, thicker pedals mean more rock strikes. There are tons of better choices IMHO.

Where do you run your cleat, @Frank? Newer clip less shoes seem to be advancing the cleat placement further and further towards the middle of the foot. I felt a huge increase in comfort myself when moved my cleats back. I do kind of remember a similar pain and some toe numbness prior. Just remember that saddle position may change slightly after the adjustment as well.

Where do you run your cleat, @Frank? Newer clip less shoes seem to be advancing the cleat placement further and further towards the middle of the foot. I felt a huge increase in comfort myself when moved my cleats back. I do kind of remember a similar pain and some toe numbness prior. Just remember that saddle position may change slightly after the adjustment as well.
Interesting, the Catalyst pedals instructions want you to center your arch over the axle as apposed to clipless traditionally being centered over the ball of the foot. In the traditional position my foot feels the pressure at the ball where the arthritis is, hence the change for me. If newer shoes are drifting towards the same position, this further justifies my purchase....at least in theory. The Catalysts arrived today and will get a beach ride tomorrow as a test....time will tell.

I switched (for the most part) entirely to flats, though I will still use clipless on the road/for lower impact stuff. I'll use clipless in the winter, too, since pedaling in hiking boots sucks a big one. Most important thing, IMO, is to get used to keeping your heels 'down' when going through chunky stuff--it forces your feet into the pedals, rather than bouncing off.

I don't think I have any "special" flats on my bikes (maybe the MKS Lambdas on my commuter?), But I do wear Vans from their pro line. Not as grippy as Tevas or 5-10s, but the chunkier shoes don't get along with my small feet. Small feet, with high-volume arches are a bastard to find shoes that fit nicely.

I generally put a good bit of pressure on my forefoot, especially standing around; I have to remind myself to rock back and use my heels, too. I found that using an insole with a metatarsal pad/button helped immensely with pain/burning in my forefoot, but you have to be careful what you get—it needs to have some substance to it, not just foam. I got these, and have been pretty happy with them, both riding and walking/standing around. Not sure I would run with them, though. If you need more, you seem to have to get it from an actual podiatrist.

Mind you, I don't have arthritis in my feet, they're just really lean...not much padding (thanks body, couldn't find a better place to do that?).

I switched (for the most part) entirely to flats, though I will still use clipless on the road/for lower impact stuff. I'll use clipless in the winter, too, since pedaling in hiking boots sucks a big one. Most important thing, IMO, is to get used to keeping your heels 'down' when going through chunky stuff--it forces your feet into the pedals, rather than bouncing off.

I don't think I have any "special" flats on my bikes (maybe the MKS Lambdas on my commuter?), But I do wear Vans from their pro line. Not as grippy as Tevas or 5-10s, but the chunkier shoes don't get along with my small feet. Small feet, with high-volume arches are a bastard to find shoes that fit nicely.

I generally put a good bit of pressure on my forefoot, especially standing around; I have to remind myself to rock back and use my heels, too. I found that using an insole with a metatarsal pad/button helped immensely with pain/burning in my forefoot, but you have to be careful what you get—it needs to have some substance to it, not just foam. I got these, and have been pretty happy with them, both riding and walking/standing around. Not sure I would run with them, though. If you need more, you seem to have to get it from an actual podiatrist.

Mind you, I don't have arthritis in my feet, they're just really lean...not much padding (thanks body, couldn't find a better place to do that?).

Ah, you and I are from different worlds @wschruba, too bad we can't combine and meet in the middle. I have flat feet as well as pronating ankles and have supporting inserts from the podiatrist. I blame my mom as I have her feet with a big toe that's too long and that can hyper extend the toe joint when running or pushing something heavy. Doc said I was good for cycling as it kept a stable platform for my feet, much to my relief. I guess I will need to experiment with this as well as boots and shoes for everyday life. Thanks so much for your, and everyone else's input...greatly appreciated.

If you find you can't stand the flats...maybe an SPD/platform hybrid?
IMG_0250.JPG
IMG_0251.JPG

might want to drop the saddle slightly to adjust for the more forward foot position . Enjoy some flat out foot out turn slaying drifts
James Wilson actually mentions that in his guide that came with the pedals. Drop 20mm and place pedal axle in the center of your arch. It felt good on my first ride even though it was very short, but with clipless I could always feel a dull ache as soon as I started to pedal, but today there was nothing...I like that.

Back
Top Bottom