freshmtb

Hi All,

This is JP, fairly new to MTB. Two months ago I bought a hybrid and took it both on road and the trails. I found myself loving the trails more and recently bought a real mountain bike! The first trail I ever went to was Six mile run, with no mtb experience and a hybrid with thin tires I struggled a lot and fell so many times lol. Been riding at Six mile run 5 times now but I havent been back, not until my MTB ships this week.

So any intermediate or advanced riders leading a group rides for beginners? Would love to learn and get pointers from experienced riders. =D

Chris Nordt

Hi JP, there is a beginners ride at Allaire Park down in Wall NJ every Tuesday night (http://www.mtbnj.com/forum/threads/allaire-beginner-ride-status.39614/), but that isn't exactly close to Somerset if that's where you are from. My friends and I are actually hitting 6 Mile tomorrow around 5:30 if you have your new bike by then, you are welcome to join. Keep an eye on the threads for trails near you to see if there are any planned rides or even just a few guys heading out that you can tag along with. So what kind of bike did you order?

Arwen's Mom

Mother of Dragons, Breaker of Chains
Welcome JP!
Definitely try to make one of the beginner rides at Allaire if you can.
Honestly I met most of my current riding buddies that way!
I would love to take you on a tour of 6M and give ya some pointers. I am not an expert, but I dont totally stink either (just a little maybe).

I might be able to friday afternoon or sometime saturday. Let me know as my weekends fill up very fast LOL

qclabrat

Hi JP, welcome
I might be in 6MR this weekend, early though
PM me if you are interested, I am also a beginner as well, but just happen to post a lot of shit here

Reggie

Formerly ReggieHammond
Team MTBNJ Halter's
JP; feel free to reach out if you ever want to do a Kittatiny Valley State Park or Deer Park ride. KSVP is a bit more beginner friendly of the two, but both are great places for beginners "up north".

Magic

Formerly 1sh0t1b33r
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Welcome!

Hybrids don't really belong on any trail system because of the skinny, almost smooth tires. In addition, you usually sit pretty upright with the bars pretty high which makes the front end pretty hard to control, not to mention the adjustable stems you find on some that can be dangerous off road. Keep an eye out on the 'Rides' section of the forum as we do occasionally host group rides that are split into various skill levels. In the meantime, keep on riding and the skills and endurance will come. Definitely take @qclabrat and @C8N up on their offer. Good guys!

@C8N 6M would be the perfect place to practice clipless. Just don't forget that you are clipped in. The only clipless almost-stumbles I've ever had were those getting back to the car and forgetting.

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
Gonna need to figure out the car situation. @qclabrat r u thinking sat or sun? I need to return the brake kit so I am going to try real hard to make it.

I still don't know if the SL will fit on my rack. Lol If it doesn't, gonna have to get unlazy and install the pedals on the giant.

qclabrat

fairly flexible at the moment, don't need to golf this weekend with my kids since they are in golf camp the next few weeks
I also owe you the bike trainer, can't you just ride to 6MR from Clifton? if so, I suggest taking the HT Giant

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
fairly flexible at the moment, don't need to golf this weekend with my kids since they are in golf camp the next few weeks
I also owe you the bike trainer, can't you just ride to 6MR from Clifton? if so, I suggest taking the HT Giant
Last time I've done anything over 30 miles was the bear mt ride. I could probably get there but then you're gonna have to house me overnight cuz I doubt I could make it back home to wayne.

freshmtb

Hello everybody! Wow, glad to see a lot of responses and offers to ride with me! I am definitely in for the rides however my bike has not arrived yet, so to be safe I'll schedule with you individually or group for next week. I would like to break in the bike at my own pace perhaps somewhere easy like D and R Canal lol.

@C8N @qclabrat @ReggieHammond @Chris Nordt @1sh0t1b33r

freshmtb

Welcome!

Hybrids don't really belong on any trail system because of the skinny, almost smooth tires. In addition, you usually sit pretty upright with the bars pretty high which makes the front end pretty hard to control, not to mention the adjustable stems you find on some that can be dangerous off road. Keep an eye out on the 'Rides' section of the forum as we do occasionally host group rides that are split into various skill levels. In the meantime, keep on riding and the skills and endurance will come. Definitely take @qclabrat and @C8N up on their offer. Good guys!

@C8N 6M would be the perfect place to practice clipless. Just don't forget that you are clipped in. The only clipless almost-stumbles I've ever had were those getting back to the car and forgetting.

yes I learned the hardway, MTB tires would normally just run over those roots easy, with my hyrbid I had to avoid them lol it was double the effort. after 5 trips to 6MR on the hybrid, I just decided to get a real MTB so I can have more fun over frustration lol thanks for the recommendations!

qclabrat

any slow rollers are welcome to join, I won't be dropping anyone, but if your pace is faster feel free to lose us
right now, I'm planning for 8AM at the Canal lot on Saturday

@freshmtb, what size bike do you ride? if the size is right I have free loaners

Top Bottom