Any Skiiers/Snowboarders Out There?

Glancing Aft

Really? My b'day is coming up. Crap that's the same day as the Berkshire Buzzards Bash. Maybe I can ride 50 miles and then go ski. Do they have night skiing?

They don't have night skiing. Also I believe if your birthday is during the summer the free ski day applies on your half birthday.

On March 22nd, they have a triathlon I might do (ski - 10 mile road bike - 3 mile run) http://www.pinehillarms.com/catskills-events.php

Eileen

Went to Belleayre today. It was really nice to get out on my board for the first time this winter, lots of fun!!!

FYI: If you buy a lift ticket before peak season you can come back in the spring. Peak season is from 12/10/07 - 3/16/08. After Creek closes I'm definitely going to take advantage of a free day up there :D

S

Shar0se

Went to Belleayre today. It was really nice to get out on my board for the first time this winter, lots of fun!!!

FYI: If you buy a lift ticket before peak season you can come back in the spring. Peak season is from 12/10/07 - 3/16/08. After Creek closes I'm definitely going to take advantage of a free day up there :D
Good to know- thanks!

J

joanqs

Bring it on...

Snow!! Looks like this storm will hit the major ski areas in Vermont, and New York..yeah!! Mountain Creek is blowing snow day and night, they should be opening soon. Took my boards out for a tune-up. Last year I was using my 153 Burton Victoria but have decided to go back to my 147 Transfer for a stiffer, trick friendly ride. I am really looking forward to the boarding season with a trip out west planned and hope to also be able to use my cross country skis as well as my snow shoes this year.

babble babble, ramble ramble...CHECK

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
I have a free place to stay at Jay Peak this winter on the hill.

Unfortunately I can't go this strom but I doubt I will miss another one this year.:(

Looks like a few feet of snow for northern VT.

J

Glancing Aft

Hunter was good today, I don't think they got more than 2" of snow during the course of the day but a little bit of new stuff on top of the machine made was nice. Minya Konka was bumped up nicely and belt parkway had the typical fun rollers good for throwing 3's... They had nothing setup as a park though other than some dinky rail. This is shaping up to be a much better early season than last year!!!

crash_in_nj

I talked to my sister in NH yesterday, and they had a foot of snow already and it was still coming down. I don't know how much they ended up getting. I have to get up there sometime soon. Maybe right after I build a helmet cam...

jdog

Shop Keep
My first 2 days out..Jay Peak storm

I had read that the 1st big dump of 07 was on the way to Jay peak.. So I jumped in the car on Monday afternoon. I called everyone who might be able to go but I found no takers so I was to do the drive solo.

I spent the AM looking for snow tires for the Subie. Once I had the tires I hit the road and blasted up to Jay Peak. The new Subaru has traction control which works wonders with snow tires. (Dunlop Graspics are killer!)I was doing over 80mph on snow covered roads with no slipping or drifting.

I have been taking the nothway up to Plattsburg and using the all season Ferry which seem shorter by a good bit.

They were calling for at least 3 feet of snow over the 2 days. There was a lot more than 3 feet more like 5-6 in places. I knew it was going to be good when I got on rte 242 and I couldn't see over the snowbanks on the he side of the road.

They had gotten at least 4 feet of snow since I was up 3 weeks ago.

When I got to my friends house It was clear that winter was ON! The snow on his deck out back was 1/2 way up the sliding glass door. The picnic table was completely buried.

My very first run of this season was better than normal midwinter conditions.

Our first run of the year was an untouched glades run that had snow that in places was armpit deep.

This was the driest "blower" snow I have ever seen on the east coast.

We spent 2 days doing short hikes to untouched glade runs that were truly bottomless in spots.

We hit nearly ever glades run on the hill over 2 days and rarely did we find them tracked out.

Tuesday was a bit crowded.. Not really. ZERO lift lines and zero fuss. Wed was less busy. There seems to be only very good skiers and riders at Jay. I saw some really crazy tele skiers dropping some big lines that I opted out of.

When Jay is on like it has been this week it can and does stand up to western skiing.

The mt is 100% open as far as I could tell. We ducked the few hanging ropes to find ankle to neck deep snow. There was some wind scouring in spots so you might see ice on the right side of the trail and 10 foot drifts on the left.

I left on Tuesday afternoon in a total whiteout. The crazy thing was that 10 miles from the hill it was sunny! Jay truly gets its own weather. This is crazy to see in person but it was for real.

I can barely walk today and the ride home took over 10 hours since I slept about an hour at nearly every rest stop.

Bike N Gear

Shop: Bike N Gear
Shop Keep
I guess my 1st day out in 2 years doesn't really compare. Skiied Bellayre yesterday, a couple of inches of fresh snow.:drooling: Hey, at least I didn't have to drive 10 hours.;)

Gary

elzoller

El Guac-Oh
I had read that the 1st big dump of 07 was on the way to Jay peak.. .........................I can barely walk today and the ride home took over 10 hours since I slept about an hour at nearly every rest stop.

Lucky dog!!

I'm jealous:) If I'm lucky I will only be able to make it to Bellayre once or twice this season.

jdog

Shop Keep
Lucky dog!!

I'm jealous:) If I'm lucky I will only be able to make it to Bellayre once or twice this season.

Not luck..

I work my ass off all summer so that I can take off a few days here and there in the winter.

I have never been to Bellayre but I saw the sign on 87 last night.

If I am in the car that long it isn't much further to VT.

Somehow driving for 1/2 a day seems worth it when you get hit with a good winter storm.

j-

Top Bottom