Any Skiiers/Snowboarders Out There?

S

Shar0se

Skier here, about 23 years now. Mostly in NH, but Jackson Hole is my favorite so far...
Pat's Peak is where it's at in NH!!! JK, it is like 5 min from my aunts place. Either of you ever ski the closed down ski area next to Cannon (forgot it's name) that place is great, and can't beat such a short hike in.

How random- my aunt's house is 20 min from Pats Peak- in Concord- where are your relatives? Pats is actually where I learned to ski. I've skiied at Cannon- not sure where you are talking about though?? Tuckerman's is nearby- never skiied there and probably never will. Waterville Valley, Sunapee, Bretton Woods, Loon, Attitash, Gunstock and Ragged are all ones I've been to....probably more. Here is a great site: http://www.skinh.com/ with snow reports for all the mtns. in NH, etc.

Other than that been to Killington of course, the local mtns and Breckenridge- my one and only west experience. A cousin of mine (from NH) is working out in Park City, Utah- last season as an instructor, this year I think in a shop....anyhow I'm hoping to get out there this winter. My brother is going to Whistler- so jealous! I was there this summer to bike- incredible place!

Anyone ever been to Mont Tremblant? My brother raved about it.

crash_in_nj

Tenney is in Plymouth, NH. Exit 26 off of 93. It seems to attract the kind of owners who can't stay out of bankruptcy, so it been on a pretty steady cycle of opening/closing for years.

When I want a snow report, I just ask the rents to look outside:) I went to Tucks twice. Once we took the auto road to the top, but the weather kept us from skiing. The second time was a beautiful day. I made it to the crux (does it really count as a crux?) of the left gully before I started cramping. I managed to ski out, though. That's why JH is so great. All the terrain you could ever want, and lift serviced.

I think I'm going to see Warren Miller's latest on the 12th in NYC. Should be fun.

xc62701

I too happen to be a newfound skier. I just started last year with the help of Shar0se and really enjoy it now. I'm the ski club advisor at my school this year so I'll be found at Mtn. Creek with the club or at Hunter usually on my own. Last season I did find my way to a couple of NH peaks as well as Killington. I'm in for a day at the mtn.

Glancing Aft

How random- my aunt's house is 20 min from Pats Peak- in Concord- where are your relatives? Pats is actually where I learned to ski. I've skiied at Cannon- not sure where you are talking about though?? Tuckerman's is nearby- never skiied there and probably never will. Waterville Valley, Sunapee, Bretton Woods, Loon, Attitash, Gunstock and Ragged are all ones I've been to....probably more. Here is a great site: http://www.skinh.com/ with snow reports for all the mtns. in NH, etc.

Other than that been to Killington of course, the local mtns and Breckenridge- my one and only west experience. A cousin of mine (from NH) is working out in Park City, Utah- last season as an instructor, this year I think in a shop....anyhow I'm hoping to get out there this winter. My brother is going to Whistler- so jealous! I was there this summer to bike- incredible place!

Anyone ever been to Mont Tremblant? My brother raved about it.

My relatives were in Hillsborough area but they sold the place a few years ago and now live out on Cape Cod. It was nice getting up there in winter although a bit of a drive to get to the good places. I'll be hitting up Whistler this winter as well in early January! I've never been but my friend lives in Vancouver now so we'll get a "locals" tour of the place.

The second time was a beautiful day. I made it to the crux (does it really count as a crux?) of the left gully before I started cramping. I managed to ski out, though. That's why JH is so great. All the terrain you could ever want, and lift serviced.

If I know what part you're referring too as the crux in left guly that can be a bitch to climb if the conditions aren't right, especially without crampons. Glad you got out of there okay! Here's a video of my roomate and I up there in April, http://blip.tv/file/209515

PlayAllDay

I have a few friends that live in those condos- great area! Do you ever go to Diablo? how are you healing?

I haven't downhilled at diablo yet, but have biked around there. I do this hill climb which is great. Ankle's healing up, hopefully. :confused: I should be back to riding Dec 7th...:rolleyes:

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
My relatives were in Hillsborough area but they sold the place a few years ago and now live out on Cape Cod. It was nice getting up there in winter although a bit of a drive to get to the good places. I'll be hitting up Whistler this winter as well in early January! I've never been but my friend lives in Vancouver now so we'll get a "locals" tour of the place.

If I know what part you're referring too as the crux in left guly that can be a bitch to climb if the conditions aren't right, especially without crampons. Glad you got out of there okay! Here's a video of my roomate and I up there in April, http://blip.tv/file/209515

Nice.. But I much prefer the quad pulled antics.

j-

crash_in_nj

There was a well established boot pack the day I was there. I just wasn't ready for all of that hiking...

I know about the closed area by Cannon, but I never tried it out. I think you can ride the lift at Cannon and ski down to it somehow, but I don't know the way. Of course, then you have to shell out for a Cannon lift ticket.

Glancing Aft

I know about the closed area by Cannon, but I never tried it out. I think you can ride the lift at Cannon and ski down to it somehow, but I don't know the way. Of course, then you have to shell out for a Cannon lift ticket.

Yes, you take the tram at cannon up to the top and then traverse along the ridge to the ski area. I haven't been there in over 10 years but when I was last there the old lifts were still there and all. When you got to the bottom of the area you could traverse right and get back over to cannon. It is nice cause it's essentially lift serviced "backcountry", something very rare in the East. I had heard rumors a few years back that the State (Cannon is owned by the state) was going to buy the adjacent land that the old ski area was on and expand cannon onto it. That's still as yet to have happen, but that's politics for you.

crash_in_nj

Nice video...

I just watched your video. It looks like you were over on the right side. That was a serious amount of hiking you did. I would :puke: if I tried that...

S

Shar0se

Great video! Not sure I'm as good a skiier as you are, I can hold my own but I've never done anything backcountry.....and you wont see me hiking up the mtn w/ my skis anytime soon- lol.

crash_in_nj

It may not have been anything to write home about, but we got our first flakes the other day. It's getting closer and closer to ski season. Anyone else taking a trip out west this year? I'm going to Squaw with my son and my sister. I'm also thinking of going to NH or VT for a few days around New Year's. What are you planning?

S

Shar0se

It may not have been anything to write home about, but we got our first flakes the other day. It's getting closer and closer to ski season. Anyone else taking a trip out west this year? I'm going to Squaw with my son and my sister. I'm also thinking of going to NH or VT for a few days around New Year's. What are you planning?
I'm always heading up north but I'm hoping to get out to Park City where my cousin works at the resort- airfare is $800 right now so I'm hoping it will come down!

D

DANSPANK

I've heard Park City and Snowbird are brilliant. I'm going to try to head out there in March.

crash_in_nj

I haven't made it to Utah yet. I've heard good things about it, too. So many places to ski, so little vacation time to ski them...

cem

another vote for UT

My only trips out west have been to UT, except one trip to Mt Hood for snowboard camp. Haven't been to Park City, but Brighton is a blast. Check out Snowbasin and Powder Mountain they are well worth drive. Best part of UT is you're 35 minutes from the airport.

with that said, I'd like to check some places in Colorado and BC is on the list too.

Trying to head to Jay Peak the day after Christmas. Any one recommend a good place to stay on the cheap?

Last edited:

Glancing Aft

I spent last Easter out in Snowbird, had a great time, definitly worth going out to Utah! The runs under the tram were sweet. Some fun chutes in there. I'd love to get out there again during peak season for some of their pow.

I'm trying to remember the name of the lodge I used to stay at Jay, if I think of it I'll post it up.

I'll be up at Belleayre tomorrow making some turns. :D

Top Bottom