Any Skiiers/Snowboarders Out There?

S

Shar0se

Just curious if there are any skiiers/boarders out there? Always looking for people to ski/ride with! :) The season is around the corner.....

C

Clydesdaleclass71

NJ (snow) Riders

My wife and I live a few miles down the road to Hidden Valley and Mtn. Creek. Travel as much as we can to follow the snow due north and to the west. We are now (boarder) patrol members at Hidden Valley in Vernon. You're welcome to drop a line and come on out for some rides; the more the merrier! S & G

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
I snowboard a bit.. I have 21 years on a board.

I travel and spend all the money I don't have on snowboarding.

j

Eileen

I've been snowboarding for a few years. I spend a lot of time up at Creek, but I try to go North as much as possible. I can't wait to put my board to good use!!!

pixychick

JORBA: Ringwood
JORBA.ORG
I ski, which probably says sometning about my age. Alpine since age 3, (hmmm... make that 46 years), and XC since age 17 (32 years). I must say, since biking, I do not enjoy winter as much, but it was great growing up. :hmmm:

I'm not sure what happened, but these days I just dream of warm weather all winter. :(

elzoller

El Guac-Oh
snowboard here...I used to go to Hunter a lot and also a couple of trips up to Vermont every season, but since I became a Dad (3 yrs now) I barely been out boarding :(
Now I Mountain Bike in the snow :getsome:

S

Shar0se

lots of boarders huh? I was thinking about giving that a try this season. I am a skiier. Either way you have to get down the mountain and back up the lift though!! I have a Big Lift Card to Hunter and a 5X7 to Creek. But like everyone else try to go up north or west whenever possible. I'll post when I go out! :)

On another note: I just bought new boots- they are fabulous- Diablo!! New skis are on the list for this season. I demoed all last season and am thinking that I want to get K2- either True or One Love. Any thoughts??

Glancing Aft

I've been known to ski a bit. I grew up ski racing, and when the twin tip revolution hit about ten years ago I started throwing/hurting myself off of jumps. I usually get between 40 to 50 days on snow each year. Usually about 10 days a year out west, a few Vermont trips, as well as the annual spring trip to Tuckermans. In addition to that I have a Mountain Creek (Hate the place) seasons pass, and a Hunter Big Lift Card.

I'll be up at MC a couple times a week this winter (at night) so if anyone is ever going, chances are I'll be there, so let me know.

On another note: I just bought new boots- they are fabulous- Diablo!! New skis are on the list for this season. I demoed all last season and am thinking that I want to get K2- either True or One Love. Any thoughts??

I have friends with both the tough love and the true love and they both <3 them. If the price point isn't an option I'd say go for the One Love, I think it's a slightly more versatile ski that you'd be able to grow with as a skier and push harder. Not a good east coast ski, but the phat love looks sweet. keep your eye on steep and cheap ever once in a while they'll have a good deal on Love skis up there.

S

Shar0se

I've been known to ski a bit. I grew up ski racing, and when the twin tip revolution hit about ten years ago I started throwing/hurting myself off of jumps. I usually get between 40 to 50 days on snow each year. Usually about 10 days a year out west, a few Vermont trips, as well as the annual spring trip to Tuckermans. In addition to that I have a Mountain Creek (Hate the place) seasons pass, and a Hunter Big Lift Card.

I'll be up at MC a couple times a week this winter (at night) so if anyone is ever going, chances are I'll be there, so let me know.

I have friends with both the tough love and the true love and they both <3 them. If the price point isn't an option I'd say go for the One Love, I think it's a slightly more versatile ski that you'd be able to grow with as a skier and push harder. Not a good east coast ski, but the phat love looks sweet. keep your eye on steep and cheap ever once in a while they'll have a good deal on Love skis up there.

Thanks for the tips on skis! Tuckerman's huh- you dont mess around!?!

cem

snowboarding since 88

I have a pass to Mt Creek (live too close not to have one) When money, time and weather permits we head north. Planning to get back out west again too.

Most weekends we're at Creek when lifts open and roll out when lifelines get ridiculous, so by 11.

cm

bonefishjake

Strong like bull, smart like tractor
Team MTBNJ Halter's
member since 88

i too have been drinking from the snowboarding kool-aid since 1988. damn, going on 20 years.

been a hardcore burton guy and have owned several over the years. started out racing a little and did pretty well on a burton cruise 165. mt. peter baby. anyway, lovely board. rode like a sheet of plywood. after that i upgraded to a craig kelly (RIP :() in 1992. i rode that for, wow, six years. still own that one. no, it's never going to be for sale. in 1998 i picked up a custom 163 which was probably the best, most versatile board i ever rode. baby blue with a undersea scene on it. never saw another one like it. anyway i rode that board everywhere from mountain creek to VT to the big shutes in tahoe. that board did everything i asked of it and more. i got into the big air, rails and gaps thing waaaayyy late so i surely don't excel at any of those (a four year hiatus in college playing lax made me miss that trend). tend to hurt myself. often. i did land my first 360 off a kicker in mountain creek a couple two yeas ago though. unfortunately i rode the base out of it and had to retire her.

my current ride is another custom, a '05 LE with the ostrich leather top sheet. fawking board is just butter. it should be in a museum, not my basement.

i've also owned a look, a kemper, a rossi and a palmer. the palmer was just flat out dangerous. it tracked like it was on rails and was a bullet. i grabbed an edge in killington and it pitched me off the trail and through a small tree backside first. loved it, but decided to bail on it last year. just not getting enough time on the snow these days. hopefully my girls will change that in the next couple years.

any way, i like bumps, trees, riding fakey and pulling old skool tricks like tail grabs, stalefish 180s and the ever popular roast beef. :D

Glancing Aft

Thanks for the tips on skis! Tuckerman's huh- you dont mess around!?!
I often say that, if I die young it will be on skis... ;)

Since we do have a decent number of riders on the board we should try to get an unofficial mtbnj trip up to Hunter or someplace this winter!

S

Shar0se

Since we do have a decent number of riders on the board we should try to get an unofficial mtbnj trip up to Hunter or someplace this winter!

Good idea!! We could pick a random date now for eveyone to put on their calendar- and then just hope there is snow!! If there is no snow and it is in the 70s (which, sadly, is very possible) then plan B could be to meet up and go for a ride.

Shaggz

A strong 7
Good idea!! We could pick a random date now for everyone to put on their calendar- and then just hope there is snow!!
Picking the date yourself is your best bet. It is my experience with this board that putting a date to "poll" can be a real headache.

mergs

Spokompton's Finest
JORBA.ORG
snowboard here.

i've had 3 burton customs and I have to agree its my favorite all-around in bounds board. its also served me well out of bounds too, from UT to CO to Chamonix to Austria, many times in chest deep pow.

i still ride a 160 custom but I have gotten into riding a split board in Vermont over the past couple of years. its the ultimate way to earn your turns if you ride, rather than ski. we had an epic day on the thunderbolt this past year as well several amazing bc days in northern vt on it. for you riders, i ride a prior split which is somewhere between a a malalo and a fish, and it converts into skis with climbing skins.

bonefishjake

Team MTBNJ Halter's
21yrs
Did you have the original Burton Board with the fins on the bottom?

fins were off boards by that point. i think. i have a burton cruise 150 at my parents house that has a fin slot and a swallow tail. it's either an 85 or 86 based on this picture:

pg_BurtonTime03.jpg

so maybe they weren't. at any rate, i'm gonna try to get it tuned this year and bring it to mountain creek. i'm going to wear pink too. hell, i may rock vintage pink all winter.

Last edited:

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
21yrs
Did you have the original Burton Board with the fins on the bottom?

I bought my first board from the Burton Factory when it was in Manchester VT. The board was a Burton Elite 140. The blue and black board with the non folding highbacks.

Bought it from Andy Colghan.

My current quiver:

K2 Recon Riser 170
K2 Recon Riser 165
Salomon 164 ERA
Burton Custom 166
Burton Cascade 168 (i have 3 of these..Craig Kelly's Last board)
Nidecker MegaLight 174
Allian Babs Charlet 164

and Always Nidecker Carbon Bindings..

I was at the Burton Factory on Sat. I almost bought a new Supermodel X 164 but even at cost it was alot of cash..

I was up at Jay peak too. They had a few inches on the ground and the guns were blazing.

Not long now.

K-mart is in political turmoil with the new owners. Look for many folks boycotting Killington this season. Not good.

J_

TonyC

fins were off boards by that point. i think. i have a burton cruise 150 at my parents house that has a fin slot and a swallow tail. it's either an 85 or 86 based on this picture:

pg_BurtonTime03.jpg

so maybe they weren't. at any rate, i'm gonna try to get it tuned this year and bring it to mountain creek. i'm going to wear pink too. hell, i may rock vintage pink all winter.

Yes
that's about the year. 21 yrs ago. I think my friend had an 85 or 86. It wasn't legal up at K-Ton.
How things come around when money talks
later
T

bonefishjake

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I bought my first board from the Burton Factory when it was in Manchester VT. The board was a Burton Elite 140. The blue and black board with the non folding highbacks.

Bought it from Andy Colghan.

My current quiver:

K2 Recon Riser 170
K2 Recon Riser 165
Salomon 164 ERA
Burton Custom 166
Burton Cascade 168 (i have 3 of these..Craig Kelly's Last board)
Nidecker MegaLight 174
Allian Babs Charlet 164

and Always Nidecker Carbon Bindings..

I was at the Burton Factory on Sat. I almost bought a new Supermodel X 164 but even at cost it was alot of cash..

I was up at Jay peak too. They had a few inches on the ground and the guns were blazing.

Not long now.

K-mart is in political turmoil with the new owners. Look for many folks boycotting Killington this season. Not good.

J_

wow, J, nidecker?? i haven't heard that name in a long, long time. ten years actually.

to clarify, the burton outlet wasn't in manchester. it was in dorsett...ok, it's a stone's throw but still. :D

i also know the location of the ORIGINAL burton snowboards sign that hung in front of that shop. eventually i'll use that information as blackmail.

Top Bottom