2023 edition 31/31 / Halters cycles / MTBNJ Ride Every Day Contest For bragging rights and more. NOW with 21/31 option

26/31 - Top 5 weather day of the summer yesterday. 60 in the morning and 80 with no humidity throughout the day was incredible.

IMG_0906.JPG

So bummed I could not participate this year, but life gets in the way sometimes. I enjoyed cheering you on from the sidelines.

Well done everyone! I very much enjoyed all the pics and again must point out @Piston Honda for being so damn creative. I must admit that I was always looking for his posts to see what he brought to the table that day.

Again, well done everyone!!

Ride 25/21
This was tougher than I thought. A lot of respect for everyone who made it to 31!

@jdog I don’t think I qualify for any prizes, but if I do please also donate to NICA. Or just surprise the next family coming in to buy a kids bike with a few bucks off.

@Cassinonorth thanks for keeping score! If you'd like to participate next year, I will happily run the spreadsheet, so you can focus on your rides.

https://www.strava.com/activities/9556831483

IMG_5052.jpg
IMG_5049.jpg

@Cassinonorth thanks for keeping score! If you'd like to participate next year, I will happily run the spreadsheet, so you can focus on your rides.

My days of 31 for 31ing are in the rear view.

I went 30/31 in 2020, 2/31 in 2021 (back injury) and 31/31 last year. Best weather ever, barely rained and it just wore me down to barely riding in August. I went 26/31 this year (8 of them being indoor rides which don't count, of course) and I feel great.

31/31
Just another road ride. Nothing creative for the last day 😂. I started this thinking there was no way I'd complete it. I've tried in the past and never got past the first week. But the stars kinda aligned to make it feasible this year. Both kids in camp 5 days a week, work was pretty slow and didn't really need me too much, blah blah blah.
I thought this might jump start some weight loss as I wasn't really exercising much prior to the contest, but I guess I ate more because I'm basically the same weight that I started with.
I am going to try and keep up with the daily exercising. It was nice having the contest to force me to go out when I didn't want to (always felt better afterwards though), and hopefully I can continue to force myself to do something even when I don't really want to.
Thanks for putting on the contest J! Do we need to come into the shop to donate the gift card? I'll probably do that anyway, it'll give me an excuse to come up and ride 6 mile. And maybe I can pick up some bar tape while I'm there 😂.
Screenshot_20230731-150533.png

PXL_20230731_181524525~2.jpg

31/31 aaand done!
Zero energy & back pain at the start today. 2 hours later I felt great.
I definitely need a break, but hopefully a short one. Don't want to lose the fitness gained, but also looking forward to having energy for longer rides. Though I think most of that comes from the heat & humidity.
Hard to believe I went 63 days a few years ago. Only to come in 2nd to @xc62701🖕🏻.
Anyway, I think the constant heat & humidity made this year especially tough. I'm definitely worn out. Unless I just forgot what previous years were like.
Thanks to everyone involved for making it happen & fun 😊
Congrats to all who accomplished their goals or even got out for one more ride than they otherwise would have.
The only ride ever regretted is the ride not taken...

Screenshot_20230731_170917_Strava.jpg

20230731_120036.jpg

20230731_120053.jpg
20230731_122438.jpg
20230731_125924.jpg
20230731_142322~2.jpg
20230731_145107.jpg

All.jpg

Last edited:
Ride #31 - completed!!!

Everything about todays ride sucked, but there was no way I wasn't getting it in.

Two early college tours today, followed by 4 hrs driving. I thought I would get in a ride in once I arrived in Nashville but then realized it would be too dark by the time I got there. So I picked a random trail on Trailforks and went.

Why it sucked 1. It added 30mins to my driving. 2. It was really a hiking trail and straight up. Many areas I was off pushing. 3. It's hot AF plus mosquitos. 4. Garmin watch died mid ride so had to start Strava on phone for second half. 5. Couldn't even enjoy the descent because I had to go slow or it would be less than an hour. Still had to go laps of the parking lot to complete the hour. But I freakin did it!! Last day was the hardest!
IMG_8006.jpeg

IMG_8007.jpeg

Last ride of this trip. The oversized vehicle with rack has been a parking nightmare most of this trip.

Congrats to all who finished!!!👏

Congrats to all those who made the commitment and got it done!!!

I didn’t enter this time around and I’m happy about that. It was nice to just ride without the pressure of this that I’ve done a few times prior. I did a 58 minute ride yesterday and it felt good to not have to pedal any longer without 31/31 guilt! 😎

It was fun to watch from afar and the pics are always entertaining! Good job all!

31. That’s a wrap! Lucky to have today off. Absolutely perfect weather so @xc62701 and I headed up to Port Jervis to go see the scene of the accident and ride some trails. It was an absolute blast. Port Jervis never disappoints. Even ran into Deejay on the way out. Was great to see him again. Really sad Boxbaum is the weekend we are heading up to the cape for vacation because it’s gonna be an awesome event.

https://strava.app.link/lz6YpgnATBb
1690849651522.png

1690849685289.jpeg

1690850033942.jpeg

1690850091193.jpeg

This challenge never sounds tough, but it is! Keeping up the consistency through a hot month with variable weather conditions, dealing with a busy stressful workplace, and running around two young kids while knowing that your hour of riding still needs to be completed only adds to the stress… but then getting on that bike kinda makes all the meaningless stressors just melt away as you push those pedals and take time to reflect on the day. It’s amazing what riding every day does for my mental health. Big thanks to my wife for putting up with this every day. Also huge thanks @Cassinonorth for tracking us.

I hope that someone from NICA will benefit from the prize. I ended up losing 15lbs over this challenge and my fitness has increased dramatically. I am looking forward to a few days to recover the legs, but I will be riding quite a bit more than I had prior to this challenge for the remainder of the year.

Attachments

• 1690847390933.jpeg
    1690847390933.jpeg
    108.9 KB · Views: 41
July 31
26 / 21

Knew when I started life wasn’t going to let me get 31 this year. Started a couple days late, shorted one ride and missed another due to work. After a slow June my personal goal was to use 21 option jump start the habit again. Finished July with 21 days in a row.

Congratulations to all the finishers and participants. Not easy to balance life and spinning it up daily. Enjoyed logging in daily and seeing what everyone accomplished.

Thanks to @jdog and mtbnj for sponsoring.

Kudos to @Cassinonorth for stepping up and accounting!

Shoutout to @Robin for reading the fine print and hitting so many different parks as part of the 21.

Thanks to @Piston Honda for keeping it entertaining.

All I had to do tonight was pickup some corn and veggies while I was out. Spring or summer, didn't know the farm stand was closed on Mondays.
IMG_7872.jpeg

Going to keep on keeping on the get 31+ for me. Moots demo and towpath ride tomorrow. 6-mile leaderless ride on Thursday. Orbea demo on Sunday. See ya on the trails.

Back
Top Bottom