2021 garden thread

Everything is really taking off. Harvested a bunch of peppers from plants that produced too early I wiped the plants clean of them and any flowers so they will go back to trying to grow leaves and get taller and start to fruit again in a few weeks nice to have fresh peppers to cook with I made some venison sausage and peppers on small Italian hoagie rolls. Cucumbers are climbing the trellace nicely and producing already. Zucchini aren't getting pollinated they keep falling off after a week same with my eggplant but it's still early.
PXL_20210618_214400231.jpgPXL_20210618_214138284.jpgPXL_20210618_214119295.jpgPXL_20210613_132057599.jpgPXL_20210614_215857471.jpg

this is the w/e i go and trim all the water spouts and bad fruit off the pear trees.
I've been ignoring them since it was such a perfect spring - no cold snap after the flower bloom.
plenty of bugs - set a ton of fruit.

got to the trees today, and the whole crop is done.
cedar-quince rust. :(
Neighbors redid their landscaping a few years back, and put in plenty of juniper.
I don't like to spray - figuring there is always enough fruit to go around.
Not likely now.

1624810570479.png

i'm supposed to pick, bag, and discard all the fruit...

Well the deer enjoyed my garden more than I will get to. They hopped the fence and munched on almost everything even though I sprayed it with that stinky repellant. They must have been so full, they laid down in the grass right next to it.

There are a few still kinda standing with some hope, but mine is gone. Hoping to keep them alive and salvage something.

No pics cuz I was sad.

Here's to next year. #shoplocalfarmersmarkets

Well the deer enjoyed my garden more than I will get to. They hopped the fence and munched on almost everything even though I sprayed it with that stinky repellant. They must have been so full, they laid down in the grass right next to it.

There are a few still kinda standing with some hope, but mine is gone. Hoping to keep them alive and salvage something.

No pics cuz I was sad.

Here's to next year. #shoplocalfarmersmarkets
That sucks how high is your fence

4ft. One spot is a little shorter along the backside, but its a little over grown around it so it looks 4 ft.

Plan is to install 6ft, just didn't get to it this winter/spring.

We've had enough of that also - getting an extension system to take it to 6' -
Extension pole at every post, and horizontal wire.
Had some other ideas to take care of it, but my spouse was not on-board.
I claimed the neighbors would benefit also.

I could easily take care of it in this manner, but as I get older, its not my cup of tea.

Good fences make good neighbors. Even of the furry kind.

We've had enough of that also - getting an extension system to take it to 6' -
Extension pole at every post, and horizontal wire.
Mine is 6 foot and people keep telling me even that's not high enough if they can see what's on the other side . I put some aluminum posts coming up from mine to make them think it's taller than it really is... Idk though I've spent alot of time in the woods hunting and I've never seen a deer jump 6ft but then again I don't hunt near anything they have to jump that high to get over . Apparently 7.5 ft is really what you need to be sure they can't get in. Im more worried about a ground hog right now I've seen him around the outside of the fence twice now but no damage yet.

Back
Top Bottom