2021 garden thread

qclabrat

Snacking matoes are rampant.
Tiny variety are called Candyland. My favs this year are the Midnight Snack. Similar to the Chocolate types but are only dark on the tops, bottoms are red.
PXL_20210806_020451624.jpg

Also getting some Asian pears this year. Seems the squirrels found something else to steal.
PXL_20210806_020543222.jpg

serviceguy

D6EC6D20-E61C-4364-8550-B49A5C2F7A27.jpeg

this year we grow mostly tomatoes without any protection. So far the groundhog had one but I guess didn’t like it…

Since I smashed the last one in the backyard last year to spread the spores I guess I can take credit for these too (size 10 Ferragamo for reference). I Loved the gigantic one that I tasted last year, unfortunately they don’t last once harvested and one is a lot to eat in one sitting.

207AB99C-3058-4362-AC0C-A3FC4BC6BEC5.jpeg

soundz

The Hat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Since I smashed the last one in the backyard last year to spread the spores I guess I can take credit for these too (size 10 Ferragamo for reference). I Loved the gigantic one that I tasted last year, unfortunately they don’t last once harvested and one is a lot to eat in one sitting.

207AB99C-3058-4362-AC0C-A3FC4BC6BEC5.jpeg

If you (quick) pickle them, they will last forever.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
049C68B0-D05C-4143-8344-4C4D2520AB87.jpeg
I am not good at keep track of what I plant. Pinkish heirloom, they might be the German Johnson..anyways, these fall off of you don’t pick them when then look like this. Great flavor even though they don’t look done.

serviceguy

If you (quick) pickle them, they will last forever.
Wife didn't like it when she prepared them last year. I did. I was thrilled when I saw 4 in the backyard, I asked her if I should harvest at least one and she said to let them grow a little more...mission accomplished, they're completely rotten now...next year I guess.

soundz

The Hat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Wife didn't like it when she prepared them last year. I did. I was thrilled when I saw 4 in the backyard, I asked her if I should harvest at least one and she said to let them grow a little more...mission accomplished, they're completely rotten now...next year I guess.
Yah most mushrooms don't really "grow". They kinda pop up over 1-2 days and start to degrade fairly quickly, becoming fair game for insects animals and rot. The most I'll wait is 2 days depending on the mushroom. But mostly, I take them immediate if I see it.

I don't really like puffballs either, but I think they work well pickled.

serviceguy

Interesting. My parents have a couple of Asian pear trees and every year squirrels get the pears even if the tree is netted. This year they didn’t bother netting but the squirrels haven’t been eating them either. Strange.
Same for our tomatoes. No netting but the only raid was the half assed one by the resident groundhog that chewed a bit off the biggest tomato he could find and then dropped it on the driveway. Never came back. The tomatoes are actually pretty good.

michael.su

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
I caught my first fruit from my home Pawpaw patch. Not huge but very tasty. First year for fruit on this tree so they may be larger eventually…
I’ve been waiting 5 years for this. 🙂
The nylon bag was key to catch the fruit before the rodents. 🐿
You can tell someone tried to claw it out of the bag but the nylon was too dense to make it an easy steal so they must have given up. 👍

28E447D5-2A4A-41FB-BC37-A3913DF065E4.jpeg
3D15FB0A-9D26-4E8F-B562-9071B29D2DFC.jpeg

Top Bottom