2021 garden thread

Robin

I had some tomatoes before Ida that were going to be great. Then the storm and my garden was flooded....so between that and the start of school/not having much time, I pulled everything out. RIP garden.

serviceguy

I caught my first fruit from my home Pawpaw patch. Not huge but very tasty. First year for fruit on this tree so they may be larger eventually…
I’ve been waiting 5 years for this. 🙂
The nylon bag was key to catch the fruit before the rodents. 🐿
You can tell someone tried to claw it out of the bag but the nylon was too dense to make it an easy steal so they must have given up. 👍

View attachment 167055
View attachment 167056
I have been checking on the Ringwood patch weekly ever since you pointed it out to me. Most of the low hanging fruits have gone but I found one on the ground, already rotting untouched. I took the 5 seeds out of it, are they going to be any good? I’m having second thoughts about growing a patch, apparently paw paw are pollinated by flies and beetles instead of bees, probably not that great to have close to home, maybe if I had a bigger property…

michael.su

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
I have been checking on the Ringwood patch weekly ever since you pointed it out to me. Most of the low hanging fruits have gone but I found one on the ground, already rotting untouched. I took the 5 seeds out of it, are they going to be any good? I’m having second thoughts about growing a patch, apparently paw paw are pollinated by flies and beetles instead of bees, probably not that great to have close to home, maybe if I had a bigger property…
The seeds are probably fine as long as they didn’t dry out.
Flies and beetles pollenate pawpaws, yes.
Their natural habitat is low land along stream banks so I guess that’s how they adapted.
I’m five doors down from a pond/stream so flies and beetles are here either way. They don’t bother me.
They flower around the end of April, early May.
If it was mosquitos that pollenated them… 🔥 🌳 🔥

Last edited:

serviceguy

The seeds are probably fine as long as they didn’t dry out.
Flies and beetles pollenate pawpaws, yes.
Their natural habitat is low land along stream banks so I guess that’s how they adapted.
I’m five doors down from a pond/stream so flies and beetle are here either way. They don’t bother me.
They flower around the end of April, early May.
If it was mosquitos that pollenated them… 🔥 🌳 🔥
We have enough mosquitos as it, courtesy of the neighbor’s wannabe-koi pond!

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Woohoo - 1 passion fruit this year - amazing amount of flowers tho, which is why we grow it.

IMG_0716.JPG

Awe - not much going on in there - but it was tasty.

IMG_0717.JPG

serviceguy

About 1.5 lbs of fruit dropped this morning from my one fruiting tree.
I don’t know if I can eat all of these in the next couple of days but ima try.
Within seconds of bringing these in, my house smells super tropical. 🏝
View attachment 167654
View attachment 167655
I didn't really like the smell but that taste was delicious. I'm thinking to start a new patch in a secret location somewhere in the Ringwood Forest...

michael.su

JORBA.ORG
I didn't really like the smell but that taste was delicious. I'm thinking to start a new patch in a secret location somewhere in the Ringwood Forest...
Really?
They smell like juicy fruit. Who doesn’t like the smell of juicy fruit?! 😁

serviceguy

Really?
They smell like juicy fruit. Who doesn’t like the smell of juicy fruit?! 😁
Maybe the Ringwood patch produces juicy fruits that smell like ass? I've only tasted 2 of them, I showed them around at JORBAFest and made a new Paw Paw fan boy that ended up picking up a few, I was told families were leaving the greenhouse with shopping bags full of them...

michael.su

JORBA.ORG
Maybe the Ringwood patch produces juicy fruits that smell like ass? I've only tasted 2 of them, I showed them around at JORBAFest and made a new Paw Paw fan boy that ended up picking up a few, I was told families were leaving the greenhouse with shopping bags full of them...
Hahaha, maybe? 💩
I have to wonder how ripe the pawpaws that you had were. Were they really soft like an over ripe banana?
My wife even likes their smell but doesn’t want anything to do with eating them. She’s not very adventurous. 😁

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Some late-ripening figs on our one in-ground plant!

The droopy ones are ready to eat - the rest probably won't make it.
Will trim the plant this weekend.

IMG_0977.JPG

Top Bottom