2021 garden thread

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
How many years did it take to get fruit? I have a few varieties going in containers...

from cuttings, I think it was 4 to get a couple, then they really start producing.
We purchased a couple two year old plants from Bill the Fig Guy for a jump start that are in pots..

These are actually set figs from last year that didn't happen. They won't be as good as the later figs that start this year.
since they grow on new, or 1 year old growth, it is an exercise in pruning.

michael.su

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
from cuttings, I think it was 4 to get a couple, then they really start producing.
We purchased a couple two year old plants from Bill the Fig Guy for a jump start that are in pots..

These are actually set figs from last year that didn't happen. They won't be as good as the later figs that start this year.
since they grow on new, or 1 year old growth, it is an exercise in pruning.
Whatcha got?
I have a Brown Turkey, Chicago Hardy and Violette de Bordeaux.
The CH is a new air layered plant that I just adopted from a friend.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Whatcha got?
I have a Brown Turkey, Chicago Hardy and Violette de Bordeaux.
The CH is a new air layered plant that I just adopted from a friend.

some green one that we got clippings from a friend. No idea!

@Roadie has some too - we just started clippings from theirs. Sicilian? and something else.

ekuhn

Im lucky enough to have the space - I doubled the size of my garden this year to approx 15x25.

Bunch of tomato plants from seeds from a guy at work and the rest from the local family farm. Typical tomatoes and cucumbers, but upped my peppers, and also trying strawberries and zucchinis this year. Have the grape, cherry and plum size tomatoes in line with the bamboo tomato trellis - first time doing this as well.

Rototilled it all, threw in some wood chips and mulch to help with improving the clay soil. The dressed the top with leaf mulch - hoping to keep the weeds down. Need to put some stepping blocks in.

IMG_4398.jpeg

Roadie

some green one that we got clippings from a friend. No idea!

@Roadie has some too - we just started clippings from theirs. Sicilian? and something else.
@Patrick I think the clippings are probably a Sicilian fig based on who we got the clippings from. We have been calling it Sarafina. We also have Osborne, a Black type and another type of Sicilian. They are off to a good start this year! The trees we have in the ground are coming on strong too. Could be a good fig year!!

qclabrat

Im lucky enough to have the space - I doubled the size of my garden this year to approx 15x25.

Bunch of tomato plants from seeds from a guy at work and the rest from the local family farm. Typical tomatoes and cucumbers, but upped my peppers, and also trying strawberries and zucchinis this year. Have the grape, cherry and plum size tomatoes in line with the bamboo tomato trellis - first time doing this as well.

Rototilled it all, threw in some wood chips and mulch to help with improving the clay soil. The dressed the top with leaf mulch - hoping to keep the weeds down. Need to put some stepping blocks in.

View attachment 157934
Lucky, no deer?

qclabrat

Put down the tomatoes yesterday, most had to purchased as mine got stunted by too much sun a few weeks ago.
PXL_20210519_234547031.jpg
Turnip beds coming in strong
PXL_20210519_234512661.jpg
Built a quick raised planter for herbs for Mrs Q. Got chives going in the small barrels
PXL_20210519_235009031.jpg
Beans are today's project. Regular bush variety, wax, fava, asparagus/shoestring, cranberry are this years crop
PXL_20210519_180756829.jpg

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
Top Bottom