The DIY thread - DIYourself

Passed the rough electrical inspection - time to light 'er up!

Hopefully not with fire tho.

1575673436140.png

The new low-profile led lights that replace recessed lighting are the bomb! just fire up the hole saw, grab the wire, use the push connector, pop light in.

1575673464987.png

Last edited:
So in other updates - i did flip the monitor - the OSC for the monitor are upside-down, but no problem telling windows the screen orientation.

1575674169172.png

We purchased a spa(hot tub) about 3 years ago - it was a floor model (it was filled and running), and came with the "as new" warranty.
last week it started throwing a flow error - so i did all the flow-error things. Finally, i pull the service panel off and
the pump, while humming, isn't spinning. big motors need a capacitor to get things going - (like if your a/c is humming outside,
but not blowing air, it is a $15 part - not a new system)

Anyway, this is a two speed motor, and it ran fine on high. So i hooked the low speed wire to the high side, and away we go!
Stopped by Pelican today, figuring it would be a shit-show as usual - but he said no problem - the part is warrantied, he has it,
and will be here monday to replace it. The labor isn't covered - but for $200, i'll have someone install a new pump on a 6 year old tub!
Winning! i think?

1575674507062.png

and in dumb news - one of the lights on the garage door opener was out, so i picked up a new bulb.
didn't bother to confirm which one was out, swapped the bulbs, and i picked the wrong one.
then i went to swap again, and the one that was out was just loose. I charged myself $100 for the service call.

Next up: The tail light system for the 1up.

Shot in the dark- looking to borrow a mega ohmmeter for a day. Didn’t realize I need one to properly test my ditra heat cable. My cheap multimeter isn’t up to snuff for the testing.

Had several burnt out flouresent bulbs in the lights in the garage so went full upgrade and did all the bulbs in LED. Hurray cyber Monday deal.

In order to use leds in flouresent fixtures you need to bypass the ballasts. The new bulbs are about twice as bright and are almost twice as efficient. The new ones are 5k 18w compaired to 4100k 32w.

Cost $155 for 37 bulbs.
20191205_114953.jpg20191205_113708.jpg

Shot in the dark- looking to borrow a mega ohmmeter for a day. Didn’t realize I need one to properly test my ditra heat cable. My cheap multimeter isn’t up to snuff for the testing.

should be doable with a $10 meter from harbor freight????

should be doable with a $10 meter from harbor freight????
You’re supposed to use a mega ohmmeter to do the insulation resistance test. In theory if there is a micro break in the wire, a regular multimeter won’t detect it, and it could trigger the gfci circuit built into the thermostat.

You’re supposed to use a mega ohmmeter to do the insulation resistance test. In theory if there is a micro break in the wire, a regular multimeter won’t detect it, and it could trigger the gfci circuit built into the thermostat.
Where are you located? I have a professional multimeter at home that you can borrow.

interesting - i never thought of a jacket fracture. when is the test administered? after pressing into the ditra? once the mortar is down, the result/response is the same. if it is screwed up, rip it out?

i installed a 15w system in a clients bathroom - told him to leave it on, cause like $3/month and warmish floor. he kept turning it off, and wondered
why the floor wasn't warm in the morning - even with an hour lead time - just not enough juice!

Where are you located? I have a professional multimeter at home that you can borrow.
Thanks, but is it a “mega” ohmmeter? They are super expensive and usually only electricians need them, even a fancy multi meter isn’t the same.

interesting - i never thought of a jacket fracture. when is the test administered? after pressing into the ditra? once the mortar is down, the result/response is the same. if it is screwed up, rip it out?

i installed a 15w system in a clients bathroom - told him to leave it on, cause like $3/month and warmish floor. he kept turning it off, and wondered
why the floor wasn't warm in the morning - even with an hour lead time - just not enough juice!
Ditra wants you to test the wire out of the box and after it’s installed, just in case it breaks while laying it down. If something goes wrong while installing the tile you’re out of luck. Ditra also supplies two heat sensors to be redundant, they are very diligent about ensuring the installation is successful.

I’ve heard the same about keeping it on, not worth saving a couple bucks to have to wait for it.

Thanks, but is it a “mega” ohmmeter? They are super expensive and usually only electricians need them, even a fancy multi meter isn’t the same.
Yes, it reads megs. It was around $400, this isn't homeowner grade(this one would be overkill for an electrician). I work in electronics manufacturing and use it for troubleshooting circuit boards. I'm in Hillsborough.

Yes, it reads megs. It was around $400, this isn't homeowner grade(this one would be overkill for an electrician). I work in electronics manufacturing and use it for troubleshooting circuit boards. I'm in Hillsborough.

i'm getting a little jealous of your toy collection. imma gunna have to go buy something i don't need tomorrow!

---

what do you hook this thing up to in order to check if the insulator has cracked?

if something happens to the wire, a normal meter will do the job - this is to check is the insulation has been compromised.
is it hooked primary to ground? it is a comparison measurement? i read a bit of the installation instructions but didn't get to the right section.

i'm getting a little jealous of your toy collection. imma gunna have to go buy something i don't need tomorrow!
This one's for my job, there's no way I'd have it if I didn't need it for that. I have a $10 harbor freight analog one that I use for 99.999% of the stuff at home. I don't need to know if the outlet is 120.7693 volts, just if it's dead or not.

Awesome! Sent you a pm.

Back
Top Bottom