The DIY thread - DIYourself

Why did you do that Rick? I pulled the ballast and put in 120V LED replacements. I hope to never have to touch them again.

I googled that but seemed too complicated. Next time one burns out (there are 3 fluorescent lights in the basement) I'll look into it again.

I googled that but seemed too complicated. Next time one burns out (there are 3 fluorescent lights in the basement) I'll look into it again.
You remove the ballast, then wire nut the bulb connectors into the 120V feed. Most bulb replacements come with a sticker that states ballast is removed, and use only LED replacements.

Spent some time fixing up my 70s pink bathroom. The Mrs had a job change recently, so now we're both getting ready at the same time which means I get to shower in the crappy bathroom. It needed a new faucet (old one was constantly dripping) and there was no exhaust fan.

The faucet job was more of a PITA than I expected, mainly due to the stupid plastic nuts that hold it on. It took me a few trips to home depot to finally get the right tool for the job.

IMG_20191229_145254.jpg

I was going to reuse the old supply lines, but I decided on another last minute trip to HD for new ones, cheap insurance. New faucet installed

IMG_20200101_150757.jpg

Next up was the exhaust fan. I picked up an inline unit since I have access to the wall behind the bathroom (my workshop), so this seemed like the best way to go. To make it all work I moved the dryer vent to a new location (which required moving some electrical) and used the former dryer vent for the bathroom exhaust.

Existing dryer vent, and electrical for AC compressor that is exactly where the new vent needs to go
IMG_20191231_104856.jpg

New dryer vent through the siding. No pics with the siding off, but it was easier to work with than I expected. I picked up a siding tool a while back (for some other project I never got to) and I was glad to have it on hand. I didn't put the trim cover on yet, because I want to modify it to point left (away from the AC compressor).

IMG_20200101_150506.jpg

Not too many inbetween pics, here's everything all hooked up. The reroute added 2ft to the dryer line, but it's not a very long run so I don't think it will impact drying that much. The bathroom duct routing is a little goofy. I probably could have mounted the fan box on the wall, but I didn't want it sticking out since the fridge needs that space, so I opted for this. I still need to cut the insulation, didn't feel like needing another shower today. I'll get to it....

IMG_20200101_145920.jpg

IMG_20200101_150346.jpg

Check out that wallpaper

IMG_20200101_150750.jpg

Dewstop automatic switch FTW

IMG_20200101_150733.jpg

And finally, my new favorite tool. Been eyeing this at HD for a while, and picked it up just for shits. Turned out to be super useful for this whole project.

IMG_20200101_145950.jpg

Last edited:
Spent some time fixing up my 70s pink bathroom. The Mrs had a job change recently, so now we're both getting ready at the same time which means I get to shower in the crappy bathroom. It needed a new faucet (old one was constantly dripping) and there was no exhaust fan.

The faucet job was more of a PITA than I expected, mainly due to the stupid plastic nuts that hold it on. It took me a few trips to home depot to finally get the right tool for the job.

IMG_20191229_145254.jpg

I was going to reuse the old supply lines, but I decided on another last minute trip to HD for new ones, cheap insurance. New faucet installed

IMG_20200101_150757.jpg

Next up was the exhaust fan. I picked up an inline unit since I have access to the wall behind the bathroom (my workshop), so this seemed like the best way to go. To make it all work I moved the dryer vent to a new location (which required moving some electrical) and used the former dryer vent for the bathroom exhaust.

Existing dryer vent, and electrical for AC compressor that is exactly where the new vent needs to go
View attachment 115122

New dryer vent through the siding. No pics with the siding off, but it was easier to work with than I expected. I picked up a siding tool a while back (for some other project I never got to) and I was glad to have it on hand. I didn't put the trim cover on yet, because I want to modify it to point left (away from the AC compressor).

IMG_20200101_150506.jpg

Not too many inbetween pics, here's everything all hooked up. The reroute added 2ft to the dryer line, but it's not a very long run so I don't think it will impact drying that much. The bathroom duct routing is a little goofy. I probably could have mounted the fan box on the wall, but I didn't want it sticking out since the fridge needs that space, so I opted for this. I still need to cut the insulation, didn't feel like needing another shower today. I'll get to it....

View attachment 115123

View attachment 115124

Check out that wallpaper

IMG_20200101_150750.jpg

Dewstop automatic switch FTW

View attachment 115125

And finally, my new favorite tool. Been eyeing this at HD for a while, and picked it up just for shits. Turned out to be super useful for this whole project.

IMG_20200101_145950.jpg
@rlb keep an eye on the compressor next year or the year after when you clean the fins on it (assuming you do...if not the Googles can help on how). Have seen dryer lint clog the fins on some compressors to the point that the AC doesn't run as cool or as efficiently since air can not flow over the thousands of clogged fins. Also, I have the same Husky lights and they are pretty handy for sure

@rlb keep an eye on the compressor next year or the year after when you clean the fins on it (assuming you do...if not the Googles can help on how). Have seen dryer lint clog the fins on some compressors to the point that the AC doesn't run as cool or as efficiently since air can not flow over the thousands of clogged fins. Also, I have the same Husky lights and they are pretty handy for sure

Thanks, already battling the lint (the old location was even closer to the compressor). But this is a good reminder to order the fin comb I always forget about until cleaning time. Ideally the AC unit will get replaced and relocated some time soon. It's 20+ years old, and under the deck, which drives me nuts when sitting out there. Maybe I'll do it this year if the tax return looks good enough.

Had no idea this was a thing. Buying a 2 or 3 gang box (unless someone has one they want to part with?) and installing one of these ASAP :)

I have one in use for ~5 years now, still going strong. They also make them with an integrated light switch.

Any recos on landscaping lighting systems? I put in solar lights about 2 years ago and they worked well for awhile but don't last down here. Just pulled them all and chucked in the trash. Trying low voltage led this time

Any recos on landscaping lighting systems? I put in solar lights about 2 years ago and they worked well for awhile but don't last down here. Just pulled them all and chucked in the trash. Trying low voltage led this time
There’s a company bases in Florida called Coastal Source. Pretty high end stuff and you’ll need a dealer to install it. We sell their speaker systems and everything is quality built.

Finally was able to finish grouting and wire up the thermostat for the ditra heat. Works fine so that was a sigh of relief. The tile I used had texture to it and the grout really got stuck in the grooves, sponge wouldn’t get it all out. I used grout release for the rest of the job and it worked fine, but I’m going to have a bear of a time cleaning up the first section I grouted. Here it is, still wet from haze cleaning. Grout came out a lot lighter than expected but I’m ok with it.
A646F02C-F172-46A6-B2C3-0D1F611900C5.jpeg

What feels like 6 months ago finally had to do wife's front brakes. I've got a rotation so I'll do a flush then

Attachments

• IMG_20200111_142149.jpg
    IMG_20200111_142149.jpg
    138.5 KB · Views: 17
I'm looking for a double end supported paint roller frame for std paint rollers (9"). They don't seem to exist in HD or Lowes.

The std paint roller frames flex and it annoys me

Painting ceilings suck

With all the new wifi stuff, like cameras, lights, switches - especially outside the house, I decided to install an outdoor access point.
Basically a weather hardened version of a wireless router. Decided on Comfast. (yeah, not a great name)

$70
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07FT3LFD6/

It is powered over the ethernet cable, so i purchased a 40m cable rated for outdoor use $30 -

Simple enough - plug short cable (included) into modem, other end to power injector, then the long cable from power injector to access point mounted high in the garage.
Visit the admin page to change the password, and put the unit into access point mode (it can also be used as a router, or bridge), set the wifi name and pw

Great coverage of the yard for $100. There are some things with the OS that need to be corrected, but just geeky stuff, like auto correct the time.
Recommended if you have spotty coverage from your indoor unit...

It can be mounted on a pole/pipe with included straps, or to a wall, using protruding anchors.

1578964270070.png

Last edited:
With all the new wifi stuff, like cameras, lights, switches - especially outside the house, I decided to install an outdoor access point.
Basically a weather hardened version of a wireless router. Decided on Comfast. (yeah, not a great name)

$70
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07FT3LFD6/

It is powered over the ethernet cable, so i purchased a 40m cable rated for outdoor use $30 -

Simple enough - plug short cable (included) into modem, other end to power injector, then the long cable from power injector to access point mounted high in the garage.
Visit the admin page to change the password, and put the unit into access point mode (it can also be used as a router, or bridge), set the wifi name and pw

Great coverage of the yard for $100. There are some things with the OS that need to be corrected, but just geeky stuff, like auto correct the time.
Recommended if you have spotty coverage from your indoor unit...

It can be mounted on a pole/pipe with included straps, or to a wall, using protruding anchors.

View attachment 116286
Damn that’s pretty good I sell those for 10x that pice. If you ever need cable or parts let me know Ill hook you up. I won’t charge you 10x the price ?

Back
Top Bottom