The DIY thread - DIYourself

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Well the guy from the spa place came today, and replaced the pump.
I pre-paid the visit, and as the guy was leaving, he said that i'll get an invoice in a couple weeks.
Wasn't going to argue with the tech that it was warrantied. Then i get an email from the company
and they claim the pump warranty is 3.5 years from manufacture - i was told 5 years from install.
So i'm waiting to get a bill for the pump when the manufacturer disallows the warranty, and the
service guy wants to collect, when he knows that it wasn't under warranty...and it still comes back to the
fact that the problem was a $15 capacitor that I could have replaced.

stay tuned - you might see do-it-yourself small claims court.

Jmann

Never gonna let you down.
i'm getting a little jealous of your toy collection. imma gunna have to go buy something i don't need tomorrow!

---

what do you hook this thing up to in order to check if the insulator has cracked?

if something happens to the wire, a normal meter will do the job - this is to check is the insulation has been compromised.
is it hooked primary to ground? it is a comparison measurement? i read a bit of the installation instructions but didn't get to the right section.
I’m no expert so don’t quote me on this, but when checked with a mega ohmmeter that sends a more current through the wire, it can detect any micro breaks in the wires (that a standard multimeter wouldn’t catch). The thermostat is gfci integrated, so any small break could cause the thermostat to trip. There is a ground braid in the wire so if the insulation was compromised current could bleed to ground. Pretty unlikely though, the insulation is durable and the process of laying it down isn’t that rough. But necessary since you can’t fire it up until the tile is down, and then your screwed if there’s an issue.

Jmann

Never gonna let you down.
Well the guy from the spa place came today, and replaced the pump.
I pre-paid the visit, and as the guy was leaving, he said that i'll get an invoice in a couple weeks.
Wasn't going to argue with the tech that it was warrantied. Then i get an email from the company
and they claim the pump warranty is 3.5 years from manufacture - i was told 5 years from install.
So i'm waiting to get a bill for the pump when the manufacturer disallows the warranty, and the
service guy wants to collect, when he knows that it wasn't under warranty...and it still comes back to the
fact that the problem was a $15 capacitor that I could have replaced.

stay tuned - you might see do-it-yourself small claims court.
That’s the worst when you decide to not mess with something since it’s under warranty, only to get into a bigger hole than if you had just fixed it. I’ve had two capacitors go on my house fan motor, but instead of replacing the capacitors I just keep replacing the motor with whatever old motor my dad has lying around. Of course that last two months and I’m back to square one.

THATmanMANNY

@Patrick @mattybfat @jnos @Mathers for the siding
many pages ago about removing a wall, sizing a beam, pricing. Well here is the progress. This room was a work room slash storage for the past 8 yrs! Contracted this ish out but did the demo and buddy PE did the structural dwg. I did the minor electrical dwg. I’ll be painting myself. Floors are TBD but we 90% sure. Guy has only been here 4 days! This would take me a decade. Post up agin when 100%
60AE026F-9C20-4756-858A-5ABBFF8A9949.jpeg
0DCF5339-3FBF-4CA8-B048-6766B4853B47.jpeg
5A0D1667-9AFE-47A8-A80F-B6C635005654.jpeg
0CD8DE46-EB01-4D83-83CE-57FFF5B2A923.jpeg

Last edited:

serviceguy

Quick question, if I want to replace the ceiling of a room with drywall (it's currently t&g knotty pine) do I really need a permit?

qclabrat

@Patrick @mattybfat @jnos @Mathers for the siding
many pages ago about removing a wall, sizing a beam, pricing. Well here is the progress. This room was a work room slash storage for the past 8 yrs! Contracted this ish out but did the demo and buddy PE did the structural dwg. I did the minor electrical dwg. I’ll be painting myself. Floors are TBD but we 90% sure. Guy has only been here 4 days! This would take me a decade. Post up agin when 100%
View attachment 113680
View attachment 113678
View attachment 113681
View attachment 113679
did you lose a door, can't figure out from the last pic where the wall was

THATmanMANNY

Yes we removed that wood door in photo 3 and closed it up. That's why I needed that cedar siding from Mathers.

In photo 1, The wall was right where the where the drywall starts next to the new door off the kitchen. So the kitchen and new family room will be open.

The new room could probably use another window but maybe in the future. We needed to work in within a reasonable cost and we don't mind the blank canvas for some decorations. So we shall see how the space feels and do some other mods down the road.

rlb

I need to install a new dryer vent through siding. I want to use the j block type mount to make everything look clean, but I'm having problems visualizing how water is prevented from getting behind the siding panels below the vent.

Most pictures I see show an install similar to this
Variform-Universal-J-Block-Square-Mounting-Block-Variform.jpg

The only picture that makes sense to me is this one, but is it necessary? I can only find a single flashed picture in a sea of others.

fetch

R grate

I need to install a new dryer vent through siding. I want to use the j block type mount to make everything look clean, but I'm having problems visualizing how water is prevented from getting behind the siding panels below the vent.

Most pictures I see show an install similar to this
Variform-Universal-J-Block-Square-Mounting-Block-Variform.jpg

The only picture that makes sense to me is this one, but is it necessary? I can only find a single flashed picture in a sea of others.

fetch

iman29

The other day in the melting snow my windshield washer pump shit the bed so I had to fix it but I have no time to do anything with this crap job.

So I found a YouTube video how to do it and I couldn’t believe how simple it was. This DIY moment is really more like my 17 year old middle sons moment since once I showed him the video he’s like I will fix it take my car to work.

I ended up getting home early yesterday but he still wanted to do it so I just “supervised”
( which means hover over and tell him what to do ).

The part was more pricey from NAPA then I thought it would be $70 bucks but the whole removal and install took 20 minutes.

Just had to remove the locking pins from the inside fender well cover to expose the pump, pop off the little hose lines and drain the washer tank. The pump just seats in the tank with a little rubber grommet. The new one came with a cheap grommet but we were able to use the old one no issues.

Limited photos but you can see the old pump was cracked and inside the filter screen seemed to have come loose and jammed the pump.

So glad I saved another trip to the stealer-ship service department.

93700BF3-7D16-485A-83B1-74E67725106A.jpeg6D633C30-5739-47C5-8E88-5A3EFF7901DC.jpeg6443B75B-3784-4F9E-8DA5-73F27CC5CF29.jpegAE08DC38-52B3-46E4-A131-98F5329E2A0F.jpeg

Attachments

• 11F4F5D8-4522-455B-9927-8B08D1773ACA.jpeg
    11F4F5D8-4522-455B-9927-8B08D1773ACA.jpeg
    64.8 KB · Views: 1

rlb

sorry man I blazed up a 1/2 joint of G.O.A.T and forgot what I was doing :)
I would just us tin tape and marry it to the vinyl , or use zipp wall tape .
Really aren’t any good solutions to dryer exterior venting

Haha no worries. Seems like the popular answer so that's what I'll do, thanks!

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Installed a wifi thermostat on my steam boiler without a preexisting c wire. Installed a 24vac xformer and pulled a new wire feed to get it working.

Attachments

• 20191223_155917.jpg
    20191223_155917.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 13
  • 20191223_151317.jpg
    20191223_151317.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 13
  • 20191223_133224.jpg
    20191223_133224.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 13
Top Bottom