Jungle Habitat, Who's In?

wlee

Wow, first race today and my chain came off 6 times ! I was playing catch up all day.The course was very demanding and I managed to stay on the bike the whole race.(except for putting chain back on which I am now a pro at).I finished !!! I was very winded only been riding for 3 months.Man that was tough but cant wait for the next one!

Glancing Aft

Great race today, just like last year Town Cycle put on a quality event. It was definitely worth the drive up! The conditions where perfect, and the course was relentless. I had a great time, and finished with my best race of the year. Good times all around...

Congrats to Mixmasta for his first sport podium finish.

MixMastaMM

Team Bulldog Rider
Great job by the Town Cycle guys and everyone that has built trails in JH. I can't wait to see what it is going to be like in a few years. As for the race, definitely my best showing and probably my best race ever. See everyone at Blue in 2 weeks.

Mare

That course was tough, but by the 2nd lap I was making it over and through most of the rocks and startedt to enjoy it. I am really glad I did it and would definitely race there again...Drive to ride it for the hell of it? Probably not. Race it? Yes. I got 3rd which entitled me to some cool flip flops and a hat. Woo hoo!

Nice to see a lot of folks out there and congrats to everyone!

Glancing Aft

Sport 19-29 results,
eb17a163.jpg

6thElement

Managed to pre-ride the first 5 and last 5 minutes of the course, which showed me that if you didn't reach the rock garden first you were stuffed.

Hard out the gate with only one other rider ahead of me, he crashed going up an easy climb and I took the lead. I was first to the rock garden, sailed straight through with no problems, but I heard the rider behind me pop a tire or something which caused a loud bang. He went down and everyone else followed, it must have looked like dominos, hopefully no injuries.

I had a 100 yard lead and never looked back for my first win. :cool:

Some initial concerns when they posted the results and had me 2nd, but they'd just messed up transposing from the timing sheet to the results sheet so easily fixed.

Edit: Super stoked for managing to get a complete set of medals in my first season, a 1st, 2nd and 3rd.

Last edited:

graveyardman67

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Wow, first race today and my chain came off 6 times ! I was playing catch up all day.The course was very demanding and I managed to stay on the bike the whole race.(except for putting chain back on which I am now a pro at).I finished !!! I was very winded only been riding for 3 months.Man that was tough but cant wait for the next one!

Props to my new friend. This guy has his son (I am assuming) up there riding around on his old BMX bike. Ohhhhh not just any bike, a Thruster Tri-power, a true classic; complete with Bullseye hubs and that two finger brake lever, uh, uh Damn I can't remember the name.
It was great talking to you. I think you rattled free some of the old BMX days in me - I won my class; just like when I was 16. First MTB win ever;)

MixMastaMM

Team Bulldog Rider
Props to my new friend. This guy has his son (I am assuming) up there riding around on his old BMX bike. Ohhhhh not just any bike, a Thruster Tri-power, a true classic; complete with Bullseye hubs and that two finger brake lever, uh, uh Damn I can't remember the name.
It was great talking to you. I think you rattled free some of the old BMX days in me - I won my class; just like when I was 16. First MTB win ever;)

That bike was fly. My Bros used to race them. It looked like some of my first bikes. All hand me down old race parts. Weren't the frames made in Wayne, NJ?

graveyardman67

Team MTBNJ Halter's
That bike was fly. My Bros used to race them. It looked like some of my first bikes. All hand me down old race parts. Weren't the frames made in Wayne, NJ?

They were made in Wayne. My best friend was sponsored by Speed Unlimited (Thruster) and his mom dated Lee, the owner of the company. They were down in flood zone off of Newark Pompton Tpk (kinda behind Burger King on Rt 23 and Nwk Pmtn). They had a pretty good BMX track in the yard and their claim to fame was building the Vanishing Point. F*$cking sick funny car.
http://www.draglist.com/stories/SOD-Nov-2002/SOD-110202.htm

My dad was friends with them from drag racing. Sick, sick , sick , sick Sh*t.
Sammy was a great guy, who I knew BTW (well my dad did - I was like 11 or 12 when I met him), you would never imagine this dude going 380 mph in under 4 secs. The best is 0-100 mph in 0.3s.

Thruster had a model of the namesake
http://bmxmuseum.com/bikes/thruster/

Last edited:

graveyardman67

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Englishtown in the early 80's late 70's. Then they outlawed jet cars at NHRA tracks. I was at E-Town when someone (I can't remember who) went throught the sand traps, through the fence, over the road and 150 ft into the woods in a jet car that didn't shut down. It's a freakin jet man!!! If I remember (being an ex-AirForce guy) it was one of these
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Electric_F404
with wheels and some body fascia. Maybe 3500 lbs total, with fuel. hmmm 17,000 lbs of thrust.:getsome: Hold on M'fer

MixMastaMM

Team Bulldog Rider
their claim to fame was building the Vanishing Point. F*$cking sick funny car.
http://www.draglist.com/stories/SOD-Nov-2002/SOD-110202.htm

My dad was friends with them from drag racing. Sick, sick , sick , sick Sh*t.
Sammy was a great guy, who I knew BTW (well my dad did - I was like 11 or 12 when I met him), you would never imagine this dude going 380 mph in under 4 secs. The best is 0-100 mph in 0.3s.

I remember them driving the crew cab pickup truck around town. I think they lived on Mac Donald drive at one point. I'll have to dig around, but we might still have a vanishing point and some thruster t-shirts laying around. I can picture the thruster T. It had the Thruster text and some sort of jet drag car on it. I think the vanishing point T was one of the super dooper 80s T with the glitter in the design.

This looks like the frame that was the first "real" bike I remember riding:

http://bmxmuseum.com/bikes/kuwahara/image33

I have to go dig that thing out of the shed now!

Last edited:
Top Bottom