What if Jungle Habitat was closed to mountain bikers?

No the DEC has not.
Tonight's council meeting is considering spending $11,000 for a design of a track.

The aspect of this that I find amusing is that by offering just one legal spot for atv use they are in fact encouraging new atv users. This in turn with certainly increase illegal atv use in the state.

This is not a guess. This is a fact.

Worse yet is that they may very well change their mind and close this down to atv use in the future. I think we all know what will be left behind.

Bottom line is that this doesn't fix anything from anywhere.

I would take a wild guess and that say Honda, Yamaha and Polaris might have more lobbying power than perhaps Cannondale, Specialized and trek..

The resolution passed:
1. The Mayor and Township Clerk be and are hereby authorized to execute a contract with Paul Ferriero, PE, PP, CME, LEED AP for professional services to complete feasibility studies for two ATV tracks; one for the Jungle Habitat property and one on a property selected in consultation with the West Milford ATV Committee.
2. This contract is awarded without competitive bidding as "Professional Services" pursuant to N.J.S.A. 19:44A-20 et seq. and the local public contracts law.
3. The total fee authorized for this contract shall not exceed $11,000.00 ($5,500.00 each ATV track) without the prior written approval of the Township Council.​
You can see the complete resolution here.

in new paltz we would shut this down with a single wet-lands survey (everything is a wetlands if you look hard enough) but i don't know how NJ works. still pretty lame that this is even a consideration.

11k seems like a lot of public money to throw away. is an ATV park expected to collect fees or even make money for the town?

I wish Ringwood would authorize $11,000 to enforce the "no ATV" regulations in place here. They ride everywhere and trash the trails.

jungle was the first trail network that i rode that i really had fun exploring. i hope this all works out (in our favor..)

I wish Ringwood would authorize $11,000 to enforce the "no ATV" regulations in place here. They ride everywhere and trash the trails.

neshaminy cuts the trees that fall too narrow for an atv to pass through. guess if they do their own trail work, that doesn't matter,....of course PA has places to ride so.......

No doubt there was some donation that got this on the docket.
i agree that they are appeasing someone - the atv/moto people really deserve a place to ride. problem is they crash at 60+ and someone convinces them to blame the trail builder.

i agree that they are appeasing someone - the atv/moto people really deserve a place to ride. problem is they crash at 60+ and someone convinces them to blame the trail builder.

this is a big point, atv/moto people DO deserve a place to ride. but i kinda feel like they should have to build that place themselves just like MTBers did at Jungle Habitat; not take over a place that took so much work to make great which i don't know if the town is considering.

honestly, those people living next to JH should be PISSED that this is even a consideration. the loudest mountain bike has squeaky brakes and a fat dude from the bronx riding it. the average performance ATV makes enough noise to shatter windows if revved hard enough in a closed garage. imagine what sunny summer saturdays will sound like for those people who live next to JH when 200 ATV's are riding WFO all day. what about evenings, when people are trying to relax and unwind on their porch?

11k seems like a lot of public money to throw away. is an ATV park expected to collect fees or even make money for the town?
They would like a private entity to run the park and get insurance to cover the liability. This entity would charge fees.

Funny thing is, the town can't deal with the liability of the pump track how do the expect to deal with the liability of an ATV park?

this is a big point, atv/moto people DO deserve a place to ride. but i kinda feel like they should have to build that place themselves just like MTBers did at Jungle Habitat; not take over a place that took so much work to make great which i don't know if the town is considering.

honestly, those people living next to JH should be PISSED that this is even a consideration. the loudest mountain bike has squeaky brakes and a fat dude from the bronx riding it. the average performance ATV makes enough noise to shatter windows if revved hard enough in a closed garage. imagine what sunny summer saturdays will sound like for those people who live next to JH when 200 ATV's are riding WFO all day. what about evenings, when people are trying to relax and unwind on their porch?

Mountain Circle people are very upset. They have a petition going around.

In case anyone is interested.

Some of the residents on Mountain Circle are going to the council meeting this Wednesday at 7:30 to speak out against the ATV park at the public portion of the meeting. I was speaking to a councilperson and they said that would be a good time to voice our concerns. If you are available and can bring some of the mountain bike riders to the meeting it would be that much more effective. Also, we are going to start our petition going around the neighborhood. Again, if you could get your petition with your contacts going I think we can start to put an end to this nonsense.
The meeting is at West Milford Town Hall. Unfortunately I won't be able to attend.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions