What if Jungle Habitat was closed to mountain bikers?

bucknejo

Are non-residents (do not live in West Milford) invited to attend? Can non-residents sign the petition? Although I'm in Allendale I ride at JH a lot so I'd like to help out. Not sure I'd be able to attend the meeting, but would sign a petition STAT.

Bleeder

JORBA:President
I think anyone that is interested, should attend, regardless of where they are from. Maybe the town should know that Jungle draws riders from all over.

Off The Road Again

Correct me if I'm wrong, but since Jungle Habitat's demise as an animal safari in the early '70's, the land had laid vacant and nobody 'owned' the land. Essentially the State took control but did not dedicate any use for the land. ATV/ Dirtbikers saw an opportunity and began shredding trails through the woods at JH. At some point the mtb community, such as JORBA, Town Cycle, etc, started building trails for mtb use. The government caught wind of this and said you can't just freely build trails since it is not a park nor private property. I believe JORBA lobbied (successfully) and the sanctioning bodies that regulate Ringwood and Ramapo took the orphan JH under their control. From what I understand is that JH would be considered a County Park, and therefore no ATV's allowed.
I ride JH (mtb) a lot and love the trail work, even assisted when I could, and I'd hate to see this great place closed to mountain bikers and utterly destroyed with just one weekend of ATV/ Motos. How fast do you think the switchbacks of Otter Slide and Animal Chute will be ruined?

Bleeder

Jungle is a state park, managed under Long Pond Iron Works as park of Ringwood State Park. Has been since WB left I'm told.

icebiker

JORBA: Morris Trails
JORBA.ORG
This paragraph is a good sign of how far we've come with the NYNJ TC since the '90s.

Don Weise, director of membership and development for the New York-New Jersey Trail Conference, said he appreciates the council's desire to find a safe, legal place for ATVs, but this isn't the right fit because of its proximity to mountain bike and hiking trails and the residential areas.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
holy crap -what an under estimation of the amount of land necessary.....well, that is the nice thing about front end studies.
it clarifies the parameters...thinking 100 acre wood is the entry bid....oh bother.
eeyore1.gif

Bleeder

If anybody is planning on riding at Jungle tomorrow 5/16 between 2-4 stop at the Passport Cafe at the Airport and ask Lou Signorino about his plans for an ATV track in Jungle Habitat. Lou is the driving force behind this proposal and he is running for mayor.

I also have a petition at change.org.

We need more support. You can read more and sign the petition here:

https://www.change.org/p/west-milfo...ium=email&utm_campaign=share_email_responsive

I'll be collecting signatures this weekend. See you there.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions