What if Jungle Habitat was closed to mountain bikers?

Bleeder

JORBA:President
Wait, what?

I am writing to you about my concern (more like a freak out, actually) for our future access to jungle habitat which is threatened by a proposed West Milford ATV park.

My involvement with jungle habitat began years ago after I read an article in my local paper about an organization called JORBA that was building trails there. I had hiked and biked to the jungle from my home, and I wanted to be involved. I showed up the following week and met Dave and Jeff for the first time. Little did I know, as we trudged through the snow and hacked out the first turn on a trail that was to become hippo, that this was the start of my odyssey into trail building and advocacy. It reignited my love of mountain biking and allowed me to give back to a community I have grown into. I quit smoking, I started riding more, and I am now secretary of JORBA.

Since 2006, JORBA has invested more than 3500 man hours cleaning, building and maintaining trails at jungle habitat. Kids races, mountain bikes races, trail runs and mountain biking festivals are held at jungle habitat every year. Jungle habitat is now widely know in the MTB community, locally, statewide, nationally and even internationally. Check out some articles from The Magazine and Dirt Rag Magazine. Now all that will be gone.

Originally, West Milford Twp was planning to use township-owned property to develop an ATV park, but now they are proposing to spend taxpayer money to lease state-owned jungle habitat. Years ago, this site was considered and then rejected for ATV use. Not only is this a more costly option, but under Title 13:1L-5.1 the commissioner is required to consider the impact on current recreational activities such as hiking, trail running and mountain biking. Furthermore, “ Under the ATV legislation, the DEP must purchase new land for the parks and may not use existing state park lands.” In addition, Pending legislation would prohibit the siting of an ATV park within 5 miles of residential zoning. If ATVs are allowed, mountain bikers, trail runners, and hikers will not be.

For these reasons I urge you to actively oppose West Milford’s proposal to use jungle habitat for ATVs by writing letters to state officials, the town council, and even the local press. (See names and addresses below.)

Learn More:
NorthJersy.com Follow the stories:
West Milford Township hits rut during ATV park assessment
West Milford OKs RFP for ATV park
Officials warn ATV injuries could be costly to West Milford taxpayers
West Milford Township seeks recruits for ATV park committee
West Milford Township overwhelmed by ATV committee applications
West Milford Town Council sees large turnout for ATV Committee
West Milford ATV committee conflicts under consideration
ATV park, fire depts. on council agenda in West Milford

Express your opinion:
State Officials:

Bob Martin
DEP Commissioner
401 E. State St.
7th Floor, East Wing
P.O. Box 402
Trenton, NJ 08625-0402
http://www.nj.gov/dep/commissioner/index.html

Division of Parks and Forestry
State Park Service
Director: Mark Texel
609-292-2773
Fax Number:
609-984-0503
Mailing Address:
Mail Code 501-04
PO Box 420
501 East State Street
4th floor
Trenton, NJ 08625-0420

State Park Service - Regional Offices
Northern Region
Regional Superintendent: Stephen R. Ellis (Acting)
973-786-5210
Fax Number:
(973) 786-6874
Mailing Address:
PO Box 1100
199 Goodale Road
Newton, NJ 07860

Township of West Milford
Mayor Bettina Bieri
(1/1/08-12/31/15)
973-728-2710 (Townhall)
Bieri@WestMilford.org

Ada Erik
Councilwoman
(1/1/12-12/31/14)
Phone: 973-728-2710
Fax:
E-Mail: Erik@WestMilford.org

Vivienne Erk
Councilwoman
(1/1/13-12/31/15)
Fax:
E-Mail: Erk@WestMilford.org

Michele Dale
Councilwoman
(1/1/14-12/31/16)
Fax:
E-Mail: Dale@WestMilford.org

CarlLa Horton
Councilwoman
(1/1/12-12/31/14)
Phone: 973-728-0579
Fax:
E-Mail: Horton@WestMilford.org

Michael Hensley
Councilman
(1/1/13-12/31/015)
Fax:
E-Mail: Hensley@WestMilford.org

Lou Signorino
Councilman
(1/1/14-12/31/16)
Fax:
E-Mail: Signorino@WestMilford.org
By the way, Lou is the major force behind the use of Jungle for ATV's exclusively.

gtluke

The Moped
Man that sucks. Jungle on paper is an ideal spot for this though. Parking lot, road throughout. But how much of a dick do you have to be to ruin all the work we did in there? Hand stacking all those rocks.

Mountain Bike Mike

Wow - I am sooooo torn with this.. I am both an ATV'er and Mountain biker and I've moved more to cycling because of the lack of places to ride Dirtbikes in the state of NJ. In fact, I am sooooo frustrated that we can't ride dirtbikes in NJ that I almost sold my son's and my dirtbike this year. There is no place to ride these bikes in the woods legally in NJ.

I do see a great thing for the Dirtbike community but at the expense of Mountain Bike trails - I don't know about that....

This is a tough one for me and I would hate to see a year of ATV thrashing undo years of precise trail work - we all know ATVs will thrash some trails.

Bleeder

JORBA:President
Wow - I am sooooo torn with this.. I am both an ATV'er and Mountain biker and I've moved more to cycling because of the lack of places to ride Dirtbikes in the state of NJ. In fact, I am sooooo frustrated that we can't ride dirtbikes in NJ that I almost sold my son's and my dirtbike this year. There is no place to ride these bikes in the woods legally in NJ.

I do see a great thing for the Dirtbike community but at the expense of Mountain Bike trails - I don't know about that....

This is a tough one for me and I would hate to see a year of ATV thrashing undo years of precise trail work - we all know ATVs will thrash some trails.

Mike,
That is exactly why it took so long for me to post this. I rode, my kids grew up riding dirt bikes, DVW couldn't be a bigger fan. But for this I'm pro MTB.

The town was originally considering using township property for an ATV park. That I'm for. Now they want to spend taxpayer money to lease Jungle and kick us out. That I'm against.

Magic

Formerly 1sh0t1b33r
Team MTBNJ Halter's
MTBers on singletrack, ATV's on doubletrack. Everyone wins... kind of.

ktmrider

I have been riding moto for awhile , i did a bit of moto up at jungle a few years ago , If they open to ORV the place will be destroyed , i have been at a bunch of these parks throughout the years and you can actually see the destruction from year to year. Has anyone ever been to Paragon in PA ? It is trashed , some of the trails are un ridable.
It would really be hard to watch jungle get destroyed if this were to happen .

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
This is a bad plan by the town and doubt highly it ever gets legs. We had a pump track closed down with one law suit. This NJ folks. I grew up motoing many of the same trails we ride but problem is parks are too small in NJ and cannot handle what on slouht will become if such a plan. I love dirt moto more then anybody but it lost its luster when every pit and rail bed were banned. Now take one of the most condensed states and give them a small parcel land just riddiculus. Not to mention shitting on the hard work of jorba. Just dumb...

chris12453

I also ride both ATV's and mnt bike. For that matter I also live in West Milford and the vibe going around is that they are going to move forward with this. Members of the town council are for it this time around which is different than in years past. Residents have been complaining about ATV's for way too long now. It's gotten to the point where I could take my ATV out and ride past a cop wave and they will just sit there. Their answer at this point is to try and get tips as to when a group of riders are on the "township property" and setup a sting of sorts. Unfortunately these turn out to be quite useless especially if your from this area as there is more than one way out. The thought process as far as I can tell is if they open up Jungle for ATV's they will stop all that. Could this end up not going through, yes its possible. But it seems from what I have heard from people in town, it has legs at this point.

gmb3

JORBA: Sourlands
JORBA.ORG
This is terrible news. One of the best mountain biking destinations in the tri-state area and they wanna destroy it. I drive up there all the time from Hoboken and I see cars with NY plates there all the time as well. Someone suggested a joint-use trail system but there's no way in hell that would ever work. It has to be one or the other. This is depressing.

Magic

Formerly 1sh0t1b33r
Team MTBNJ Halter's
This is terrible news. One of the best mountain biking destinations in the tri-state area and they wanna destroy it. I drive up there all the time from Hoboken and I see cars with NY plates there all the time as well. Someone suggested a joint-use trail system but there's no way in hell that would ever work. It has to be one or the other. This is depressing.

I'm one of said New Yorkers. Just across the border from me and one of the closer locations to ride.

I Ride Bikes

I've also been riding atv's for years. New jersey is so anti moto. It would take such a huge effort to turn this around. I think it will be a long time before this happens.

kidzach

So they are going to take all the very hard work others have done and spit on it??? And take it as their own ? I understand there is parking there and all that but come on man. Of all the thousands of acres to choose from they have to take from others to get what they want. Is this the middle ages? I do feel for the ATV crowd because I do not know of anywhere in the state they are allowed to ride. Are there places? I don't ride Jungle very often (maybe twice the last 3 years) , but this is wrong on sooooo many levels.

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
This is a huge mistake on so many levels. I am a mtber and enduro moto guy. I want to see legal moto spots all over, but this is not the correct path. Not even close.

jdwalk

first time poster: Places like JH make riding in this area amazing. It is an excellent park with fun technical bits that are MTB specific. made to ride. it'd be a shame to have it turned to something else.

Rockbottom

I love Jungle. So sad to hear about this proposal. I travel an hour and a half each way to Jungle from Staten Island several times a year. It would be heartbreaking to see this amazing trail system shut to mountain bikers, especially after all the countless hours so many put in to build these trails.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions