Random Musings, Helpful Hints & Pearls of Wisdom

RyGanley

Basic Riding Ediquite (don't piss everyone off because you don't know)

A lot of Riders (mountain and Road) start out riding alone or with 1 or 2 friends, but as you get into the sport you will notice a draw to riding with groups. Some don't realize this is a large adjustment and you can piss off seasoned riders without knowing; not good when you bust a chain and need help. So here a real basic list of proper etiquette to follow when riding alone or in a group:

- PASSING: only pass on wide easy trails or roads if you pass, call "ON YOUR RIGHT OR LEFT" (normally LEFT) say this when you are just behind each rider you go around. This is huge; because if you run into a guy it can become a pile up fast.

- CALL WHAT YOU SEE: When you see a obstruction in the trail CALL IT: Other riders coming towards you; Yell "RIDER UP" Hikers coming towards you or on the trail "HIKER UP" Car in front or behind (CAR UP OR BACK) Down Tree in the trail "HOLD BACK" (BACK) refers to behind you (UP) refers to in front. Note: this better then a bike bell!

- HELMET, don't forget it, we won't ride with you!

- PREPAIRED: Carry your own tools and tube, we all need a little help out there but don't be that guy.

- SUPPORT: you local bike shop: They will be there for you when the big internet stores don't care.

- RELIZE YOUR LEVEL: Don't come to a beginner ride and make everyone look bad, don’t' go to a advanced ride and sandbag everyone down.

- WASH: Your camelbak Stanks, even if you can't smell it, the guy behind you certainly can. Don't be the stinky dude.

-(new) RIGHT OF WAY: Climbing bikers, hikers, and horses have the right of way, you hit one of these people, your in the wrong.

-(new) SPACE BUFFER: Keep at least on bike leangth per 10miles a hour you are going between you and the guy in front of you.

This shit ain't hard, and if you are here reading posts you obviously want to learn. And for the seasoned riders who have advice follow me up.

Last edited:

Laura T

More suggestions

If you're riding in a group, and you can't clear a 'feature', get out of the way to let the folks who are still riding behind you have a go at it.

If you fumble and end up off the bike, get yourself and the bike out of the way of the people behind you.

Of course, this is why you should always leave a very wide margin between yourself and the rider in front of you: just in case they end up bailing on a feature that you hope to ride clean.

Right Of Way: If you are not on the bike, yield to someone who is riding. Riders should also always yield to horses. Better yet, stop the bike, dismount, and let the horse & rider move past you on the trail. Horses can be very unpredictable and spooky. Last thing you want is a hoof to go through your Crossmax wheel set.

Shaggz

A strong 7
Rider climbing the hill, has the right of way, NOT descending rider.

edit: didn't originally see this in Ry's

Last edited:
D

DANSPANK

Can I add one?

Say hello to every other bugger on the trail!

You've stopped anyway so be polite to the other trail users so that they can see that we're actually pretty decent people...

Frank

Sasquatch
Amen

Great Posts!!!!
ALL EXCELLENT...words to live by.Now we can all ride more courteously.
Just to add..Horses don't know you are human when you're on a bike so in addition to the previous posts, keep talking,say hi to the horse,rider,and it will calm both down.Falling off a spooked horse HURTS...did it last week.

RyGanley

DANSPANK said:
Can I add one?

Say hello to every other bugger on the trail!

You've stopped anyway so be polite to the other trail users so that they can see that we're actually pretty decent people...

Good point, These people out there that day are your allys if you need help, They give comfort that even thought your secluded you are not alone.

Trail Stunts

Don't build it unless it is bomb solid. Nothing is worse than going over the bars on something that looks good but isn't. If you're going to build a stunt you're the one responsible for everyone else's safety. A naked log is safer than one with crap thrown against it (ie. small sticks, short branches, movable rocks) Don't be afraid to take apart a stunt because it doesn't hold solid after you've built it.

RyGanley

Stratocaster said:
Don't build it unless it is bomb solid. Nothing is worse than going over the bars on something that looks good but isn't. If you're going to build a stunt you're the one responsible for everyone else's safety. A naked log is safer than one with crap thrown against it (ie. small sticks, short branches, movable rocks) Don't be afraid to take apart a stunt because it doesn't hold solid after you've built it.

I would like to comment that the only one responsible out there is yourself and maybe the people your with.. You take a chance every single turn and foot you take. If you crash on a stunt, that was no ones fault but your own for not having the skills to ride it.. But I will agree that proper stunt building is nessasary when building... Everyone will know it's yours if it stays so make sure everyone knows your stunts are usally good... And Stunts are bad.. don't do it! ;)

anrothar

entirely thrilled
gt2brew said:
Great Posts!!!!
ALL EXCELLENT...words to live by.Now we can all ride more courteously.
Just to add..Horses don't know you are human when you're on a bike so in addition to the previous posts, keep talking,say hi to the horse,rider,and it will calm both down.Falling off a spooked horse HURTS...did it last week.

personally, i prefer to dismount and let an equestrian pass as well, along with all the advice above. one section of trails near me see alot of equestrian use, and i have always dismounted and talked as they passed, never had a problem. if the horse is especially spooked, remove your helmet.

E

Evil

It's also nice to call out "POOP!" when one of our equestrian friends leaves us a trail gift.

BicyclePhD

Jamis Bicycles
Shop Keep
Stunts

If there are stunts out there that you can't make don't cut them out when you are doing trail mantiance and claim you know it's hard for everyone else too. A lot of this is going around in our local trail

mergs

Spokompton's Finest
JORBA.ORG
Evil said:
It's also nice to call out "POOP!" when one of our equestrian friends leaves us a trail gift.

poop is organic... just like the stuff that in your pipe, e. :D

and poop is good for trails... esp sandy ones like allaire. consider the poop a technical feature.

RyGanley

mergs said:
poop is organic... just like the stuff that in your pipe, e. :D

and poop is good for trails... esp sandy ones like allaire. consider the poop a technical feature.

I concider poop a stunt... it's the only thing on the trail that if you dont' jump in time... ur in deep shit.

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
Be prepaired for the worst..

So yesterday morning I decided I would go out for a nice hour long spin at 6 mile by myself.

I broke my chain on my new SS about 5 miles from the car. I didn't have any extra chain links with me so I had a nice walk/scooter push home.

I clearly didn't carry the right stuff with me. Usually I do but with 2 camelbaks I neglected to fill the one I had with the right stuff.

This is what I had:

-about 10 empty GU/cliff bar/Cliff Blok wrappers
-A hatchet (which strangely I didn't realize I had in my camlebak!)
-A mini Pruning Saw
-29" tube
-Cell phone
-Keys
-Mostly frozen water
-Topeak Hexus Mini Tool (it has a chain breaker)
-Mini Pump

This is what was missing:

-A few spare Links of Chain
-Spare Connex Connect Link
-Shimano 9 Chain pin (not for me but for others)
-Food (vs. Empty food wrappers)
-Zip ties
-Duct tape
-Patch Kit
-Park Tire Boot (Awesome for torn sidewalls on non tubeless)
-Co2 inflater + Spare Co2

Maybe for the epic rides:

-GPS
-Space Blanket
-First aid kit
-Super glue (works good on bad cuts)
-Digi Camera
-Spare Cleats[/SIZE][/SIZE]

So the question is, do YOU carry the right stuff with you in the woods?

If so what??

Last edited:

heythorp

i carry a tube and co2 and that is only so i dont piss off the people i am with if i do flat(run tubeless, havent had a flat yet).....of course water and fuel, usually my gu flask and a bar.

I under carry, I agree you should be prepared but how many times a year do you ride and how many times do yo brake your chain? the percentages say the need for extra links is low.

jdog

Shop Keep
i carry a tube and co2 and that is only so i dont piss off the people i am with if i do flat(run tubeless, havent had a flat yet).....of course water and fuel, usually my gu flask and a bar.

I under carry, I agree you should be prepared but how many times a year do you ride and how many times do yo brake your chain? the percentages say the need for extra links is low.

That is what I thought too but unfortunately with SS built with ENO hub you can't really shorten the chain and keep riding. So I walked..

heythorp

yes big difference with geared and SS. I do have a master link in the saddle pack for the SS but that wont help much without extra links and a chain tool.

Weather has a role in what i carry too. Do i want to walk for an hour today? or is to freezing or too hot ect..

When i ride the mooch i carry more but KVSP, LM or the Tourne, its bare essentials

heythorp

That is what I thought too but unfortunately with SS built with ENO hub you can't really shorten the chain and keep riding. So I walked..

You know, I was thinking about doing and eno hub and some higher end hardtail. carbon stumpjumper. but thats a good point, with the SASS and the sliding drops, if you set chain length correctly all you need is a chain tool and you can keep riding.

jdog

Shop Keep
You know, I was thinking about doing and eno hub and some higher end hardtail. carbon stumpjumper. but thats a good point, with the SASS and the sliding drops, if you set chain length correctly all you need is a chain tool and you can keep riding.

This is the only Fault i can find with the ENO. I am not sure that a sliding dropout will move forward enough to allow for one full less link. One link is almost an inch.

I think Giant has some complete XTC carbon bikes for 06' on the closeout list. The price is crazy low.. like $1700 vs. the msrp of $2600.

I think they have frames too but the frames are almost as much as the completes.

That would make an super singlespeed. That is if the 26" wheel is still apealing.

j-

Top Bottom