Music

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
Jdog,

Nice list. I'll have to check some of that stuff out.

I've been meaning to pick up stuff from My Morning Jacket and Sufjan Stevens for a while now. Just never get around to it. Same deal as the TVotR.

I also have the new Wilco and it's still warming up to me. I like Death Cab, and Franz Ferdinand but not as much as most people. Also really dig the Shins and Yo La Tengo. And the Sigur Ros was a big surprise for me. That's the kind of band that prives good music is not dead.

You would probably like Air as well, and perhaps Clinic. Morcheeba is another one I forgot to mention. And I really dig Portishead but a lot of people hate them, my wife included. Rufus Wainright is brilliant, but a hair misguided at times I think.

Norm

I dig Portishead for sure.. Most folks don't. But I like Bjork and most don't.

Rufus is good.

Air too.

Good picks.

I really belive that good music can make or break a day.

I am very lucky that in my job i may play whatever music I like. I can get away with most anything during the week but on the weekends I have to be more careful when families are crusing the bike shop. I once had a mother walk out in rage when I was playing Bob Marley.. She must have smoked some bad stuff to it or something in her past.

Chris F. and I are constantly on the search for new music.

He uses Soulseek and gets stuff that isn't even out.

For example we have been lisiting to the new Shins album for a month. The release date in 1/7/07.. BtW I will buy it when I can. You should too.

Right this very minute I am paying bills while getting into The Crane Wife by the Decemberists. This is a finely crafted album that is probablly to soft for most tastes but man what a masterpiece..

On a tangent I must reccomend the Princeton Record Exchange for any music fans.

j

J-Dro

I've been meaning to pick up stuff from My Morning Jacket and Sufjan Stevens for a while now. Just never get around to it.

Sufjan Stevens was my favorite CD of all 2005. It's so hard to be original; there's not much in music that hasn't been done before, but NOTHING sounds like this masterpiece.

jdog

Shop Keep
Sufjan Stevens was my favorite CD of all 2005. It's so hard to be original; there's not much in music that hasn't been done before, but NOTHING sounds like this masterpiece.

We play Sufjan Stevens in the shop a fair amount.

His music always gets attention, god and bad.

Everyone wants to know who it is. Some ask us to turn it up and others ask to turn it off.

Either way his style can't be ignored.

j

ChrisG

Unapologetic Lifer for Rock and Roll
I've been meaning to pick up stuff from My Morning Jacket
Could be the best live band walking the earth right now. If not, they're damn close. I've always been a little underwhelmed by their studio output, but they are another beast altogether when they take the stage.

jdog

Shop Keep
Could be the best live band walking the earth right now. If not, they're damn close. I've always been a little underwhelmed by their studio output, but they are another beast altogether when they take the stage.

Hence the new live Album.. But I am sure you have it already.

j

heythorp

just cruzing around itunes

i forgot that i used to listen to godsmack on hill days

i got it up right now and it makes me want to go climb hills

i should add this is road music, i dont use the ipod anymore and i never used it in the woods.

ChrisG

BLACK SABBATH

(Just listened to Master of Reality while spinning on the rollers. Oh my God, they were awesome.)

walter

Fourth Party
Chris, if your into cover bands at all, their is a BS cover band called Sabbara Cadabbara that is really good live, whole dress up thing and stage show.

walter

ChrisG

Chris, if your into cover bands at all, their is a BS cover band called Sabbara Cadabbara that is really good live, whole dress up thing and stage show.

walter
Yeah, I'm aware of these guys, and I've heard they're cool. Not to be confused, of course, with Sack Blabbath, another Sabbath tribute band.

D

DANSPANK

I don't listen to music out on the trails but on the way there I like to get ramped up! Here's a few bands that you may not have heard of - give 'em a try:
Artic Monkeys - a fairly typical Manchester band.
Basement Jaxx - some great stuff to get you going. Club orientated
Bassheads - 90's club scene
Cast - a scouse band from Liverpool in a similar vein to the Artic Monkeys
Massice Attack - Someone mentioned Portishead, give Massive Attack a listen too
Mew - A cross between the Beach Boys and the Stone Roses
Morcheeba - I think someone mentioned them already
The Stones - of course
Scissor Sisters - ok, so a little bit fruity but "Take your mama" is a pretty good tune
Snow Patrol - Another Brit band
Spoon - try "I turn my camera on", it was used in a Jaguar commercial
Steppen Wolf - "Magic Carpet Ride" is a classic
The Streets - Sound just like a band in a pub on a Friday night
The Strokes - They're the next up on the same Friday night set!
The Gorillaz - Someone already mentioned them
Jamiroquai - Great acid jazz blended with a bit of funk. Try "Feels just like it should"
And, save the best 'til last:
Kasabian - top of my iPod right now

If anyone wants to here about some UK DJs or club bands then I have a whole list of them too!

Great thread!

Chris(NJ)

I could never get into riding w/ music either. I like to hear whats goin on when I ride. Regardless, before and after rides my cd player eats stuff rise against, thrice, comeback kid, pennywise, bad religion, system of a down...stuff like that. But I'm usually down to listen to whatever, as long as its good :)

Scotty878

Shop: Planet Bike
Shop Keep
This topic just came up on another forum, so I'll just copy past my responce from there! Like I say, this is only a fraction of what I have, wha'ts listed is just what I've been listening to the most in recent weeks....Also, I recognized a LOT of good music on other peoples lists....

Here's mine:

"I have 5916 songs, 16 days and 26.5GB worth...

As for what I listen too, the stuff I've been listening to most often lately is;

...And You Will Know Us By The Trail of Dead
65 Days of Static
Akron/Family
Autolux
Badly Drawn Boy
Bloc Party
Blonde Redhead
The Blood Brothers
Built to Spill
Circa Survive
Death From Above 1979
The Decemberists
Dredg
Explosions in the Sky
From Autumn to Ashes
Head Automatica
The Mars Volta
Matt Pond PA
Millencolin
Minus the Bear
Neutral Milk Hotel
Radiohead
Refused
Russian Circles
Silverstein
These Arms Are Snakes
Thievery Corporation
Thrice
Thursday

Among a LOT of other stuff, but like I said, this stuff is what I'm listening to the most right now."

walter

Fourth Party
I could never get into riding w/ music either. I like to hear whats goin on when I ride. Regardless, before and after rides my cd player eats stuff rise against, thrice, comeback kid, pennywise, bad religion, system of a down...stuff like that. But I'm usually down to listen to whatever, as long as its good :)

Comeback kid, good stuff

walter

jdog

Shop Keep
This topic just came up on another forum, so I'll just copy past my responce from there! Like I say, this is only a fraction of what I have, wha'ts listed is just what I've been listening to the most in recent weeks....Also, I recognized a LOT of good music on other peoples lists....

Here's mine:

"I have 5916 songs, 16 days and 26.5GB worth...

As for what I listen too, the stuff I've been listening to most often lately is;

...And You Will Know Us By The Trail of Dead
65 Days of Static
Akron/Family
Autolux
Badly Drawn Boy
Bloc Party
Blonde Redhead
The Blood Brothers
Built to Spill
Circa Survive
Death From Above 1979
The Decemberists
Dredg
Explosions in the Sky
From Autumn to Ashes
Head Automatica
The Mars Volta
Matt Pond PA
Millencolin
Minus the Bear
Neutral Milk Hotel
Radiohead
Refused
Russian Circles
Silverstein
These Arms Are Snakes
Thievery Corporation
Thrice
Thursday

Among a LOT of other stuff, but like I said, this stuff is what I'm listening to the most right now."

One of the things that I love about owning my own business is that I play pretty much whatever I want all day. 90% of this list might be heard in our shop on any given day.

j

Scotty878

Shop: Planet Bike
Shop Keep
One of the things that I love about owning my own business is that I play pretty much whatever I want all day. 90% of this list might be heard in our shop on any given day.

j

That's awesome! Now I definatly have to get down to your shop!

I cant figure out if I love or hate the mars volta. Some days i'm completely sucked in. other days, they give me a wicked headache.

lol, that seems to be the thing with them...I'll meet somebody who loves them, then the next person can't stand them. I admit that with a lot of music, like TMV, and some harder/louder stuff, sometimes, I'm just like, how do I listen to this, this isn't good. But then theirs the other 90-95% of the time where I'm loving it!

NJ Jess

I'm old, very old

I can honestly say,....I don't know ANY of these songs,...or are they bands? Time to put on another record,...hummm German dance music,....the chicken dance,...yup, that sounds good. Really!

Shaggz

A strong 7
jess, be careful what you say. i said something similar and was slandered in gaelic as a result

Top Bottom