Music

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
I can honestly say,....I don't know ANY of these songs,...or are they bands? Time to put on another record,...hummm German dance music,....the chicken dance,...yup, that sounds good. Really!

If you are looking to look into these bands I would start with Built to Spill.

imho..

j

In my iPod right now...

In no particular order (since I usually play all tracks on shuffle):

G Love & Special Sauce
The Shins
Toby Keith
Sonic Youth
Craig Morgan
Kenny Chesney
Bad Religion
Eminem
Dave Matthews Band
The Allman Brothers Band
The Beatles
System of a Down
Alice in Chains (the entire catalog)
Loreena McKennit
Janes Addiction
Henry Rollins Band
Jack Johnson
Modest Mouse
Ozomatli
Pennywise
Cracker
Live
Disturbed
Stone Temple Pilots
Queens of the Stone Age
Misc. Mixed Soundtracks from Movies I Like
Downloaded Podcasts of the Ron and Fez Show

and other miscellaneous music I decide I want to download at a particular moment in time. Any of these songs may appear on my shuffle queue at any moment.

Shaggz

A strong 7
What's sad is that I am trying to expand my music selection, and thought some of the stuff in this thread might be a good jumping point. Just researching the bands on-line, there ain't much that appeals to me. Sean is right, I am too old.

maybe i'll check out sigur ros.

Last edited:

jdog

Shop Keep
What's sad is that I am trying to expand my music selection, and thought some of the stuff in this thread might be a good jumping point. Just researching the bands on-line, there ain't much that appeals to me. Sean is right, I am too old.

maybe i'll check out sigur ros.

Sigur Ros is good but what bands do you like?? Maybe we can guide you along??

j

Shaggz

A strong 7
i like all the wfuv/old wdre ytpe stuff. now with xm in the car and at home, it makes it easier to stay entrenched in that time warp

alice and chains
the dead
neil young/buff springfield/any iteration of csn & sometimes y
wilco
cowboy jumkies
beth orton
sonvolts
jack johnson
dmd
jayhawks
uncle tupelo
citizen cope
gov't mule
richard shindell
smiths
u2, pre zoo station
depeche mode - 1986 on
nirvana
coldplay
gomez
guster
radiohead
hum
ultimate albums:
counting crows - august and everything after
u2 - achtung baby
neil young - after the gold rush
smiths - louder than bombs
hear music - vols 1&2
george michael - listen without prejudice (don't discount this album based on wham! and public restroom stories)
depeche mode - 101 (album b)
pearl jam - 10

stuff like this

jdog

Shop Keep
Try these!!!

Based on this list you gave, here are some bands that should plug in w/o too much struggle.

Open you mind and your ears might follow.

Band of Horses
Built to Spill
Calexico
Iron and Wine
Sun Kill Moon
Interpol
Jets to Brazil
Luna
Marah
Old 97's
Matt Pond PA
Pedro the Lion
The Shins
Yolatengo
My Morning Jacket
Ryan Adams
Sufjan Stevens
The Black Keys
The Decmeberists

All these bands are in my 100 disc changer at the shop. Many of them I would consider "desert island discs" for sure. They are all safe to play at work (or at least in a bike shop)..

Nothing angry here. Just good songwriters. I have seen many of these bands live and they all rocked.

Perhaps ChrisG might chime in. He has the biggest music library that I know of.

J_

Last edited:

Shaggz

A strong 7
cool - thanks. i think a lot of those bands are on the xm stations i listen to, thogh I am not a big fan of ryan adams. it's hard to seperate his personality and temper tantrums from his music. i have been struggling with the decemberists, because they sound like a colonial version of the cranberries - maybe it's the song, haven't decided. i'll work of this list and see what happens.

jdog

Shop Keep
cool - thanks. i think a lot of those bands are on the xm stations i listen to, thogh I am not a big fan of ryan adams. it's hard to seperate his personality and temper tantrums from his music. i have been struggling with the decemberists, because they sound like a colonial version of the cranberries - maybe it's the song, haven't decided. i'll work of this list and see what happens.

Have you heard the new Decemberists Album, The Crane Wife??

I dig it.....

j

Shaggz

A strong 7
i'm not sure what album the songs came off, i would assume that it was the new one, since it was on xm. i think this is the album you referred to as masterpiece. sometimes a song doesn't have the same effect as listiening to an album in it's entirety - kind of like being taken out of context

D

DANSPANK

There's so much stuff out there that it's hard to keep up. But if I come across some good music in a movie or something then I head to iTunes to listen to the whole album and buy it if I fancy it.

I've been watching the Kranked series and Roam mountain bike DVDs and they've got some really great songs in there:
Sweatshop Union - The thing about it
Slackstring - Sunday Jen
Quantic - Life in the rain
John Butler Trio - Earthbound Trio
Zion I - Trippin
De La Soul - It ain't all good
Junkie XL - Legion
NERD - Rockstar

Great tracks!

walter

Fourth Party
Ok, so out of all of the lists that you guys have suggested, which of the bands would you say to be a bit more heavy? Not saying it has to be angry or chaotic, just more upbeat and louder. I'm always up for new music but the slow tempo, melancholy stuff just doesnt do it for me.

J-Dro

Ok, so out of all of the lists that you guys have suggested, which of the bands would you say to be a bit more heavy? Not saying it has to be angry or chaotic, just more upbeat and louder. I'm always up for new music but the slow tempo, melancholy stuff just doesnt do it for me.

Check out Bloc Party. Upbeat, catchy, a little punky. Not like the emo rock that seems to be so popular lately.

Chris(NJ)

In no particular order (since I usually play all tracks on shuffle):

G Love & Special Sauce
The Shins
Toby Keith
Sonic Youth
Craig Morgan
Kenny Chesney
Bad Religion
Eminem
Dave Matthews Band
The Allman Brothers Band
The Beatles
System of a Down
Alice in Chains (the entire catalog)
Loreena McKennit
Janes Addiction
Henry Rollins Band
Jack Johnson
Modest Mouse
Ozomatli
Pennywise
Cracker
Live
Disturbed
Stone Temple Pilots
Queens of the Stone Age
Misc. Mixed Soundtracks from Movies I Like
Downloaded Podcasts of the Ron and Fez Show

and other miscellaneous music I decide I want to download at a particular moment in time. Any of these songs may appear on my shuffle queue at any moment.

some great bands there! I went to a anti-flag, pennywise, bad religion show. Might be one of the best shows I've been to :cool:

ChrisG

Unapologetic Lifer for Rock and Roll
Playlist

Currently heard in the GTI:

(The) Melvins (A) Senile Animal
Boris and Michio Kurihara Rainbow
Black Sabbath Sabotage
Jesu Conqueror
Fields of the Nephilim The Nephilim
Iron Maiden Iron Maiden

walter

Fourth Party
Hey Chris

Currently heard in the GTI:

(The) Melvins (A) Senile Animal
Boris and Michio Kurihara Rainbow
Black Sabbath Sabotage
Jesu Conqueror
Fields of the Nephilim The Nephilim
Iron Maiden Iron Maiden

A while back you were talking about riding the trainer with Black Sabbaths "Masters of Reality" blasting in your face. Snice then, I have been on a Black Sabbath kick, I gave my friend a list of like 40 songs and he burned them all for me, so I have my own greatest hits cd.

The other day I was in Vintage Vinyl in Woodbridge picking up some new stuff, and I was drawn to the Iron Maiden stuff, think Im going to make my own Maiden greatest hits next.

Top Bottom