Ask an automobile mechanic.

Many many years ago I worked at an automotive chain. I must've done hundreds of brake jobs. I thought I knew it all, so when my honda pilot was grinding metal on metal I let it go because I was super busy with my first child and figured oh well its just a rotor it's practically a throw away item. Well one day backing out of my MILs driveway the rear passenger side outer brake pad falls out thru the rim onto the street. I saw it in my side view mirror as I was avoiding the curb. No clue how that's even possible

Last edited:
The amount of new cars I see coming in with their first service overdue by over 1000 miles, from which the instrument cluster displays at all times. We talking about cars with a little over 10k miles

these are the people who should be using the 20k mile rated oil and not told it will last that long so when they go over it doesnt hurt.

Clear the code and check if it comes back on below 40°F after you start the engine and let it warm up to operating temperature if the code comes back under this condition then it is the thermostat the problem, most likely keeps happening now that we are in winter, make sure you get the factory thermostat and seal or gasket, if it's the thermostat make sure you Jack up the front axle(the front of the car) when you bleed the cooling system and run your heat on defrost and you can also try to drive the car a couple of miles on a low gear above 3500 RPM with the defrost ON to prevent any air pockets getting trapped in the heater core

$27 OEM thermostat and $19 OEM coolant and she's fixed. That's one good thing about domestics. Thank you!

these are the people who should be using the 20k mile rated oil and not told it will last that long so when they go over it doesnt hurt.
Please don't believe about the 20k oil, plus the chain guides gave up causing engine to get out of timing and the intake valves of the left side head got bent, looks like the customer was using conventional oil on this M272 engine due to the looks of the residue. Engine has 89k miles

Reactions: don
Please don't believe about the 20k oil, plus the chain guides gave up causing engine to get out of timing and the intake valves of the left side head got bent, looks like the customer was using conventional oil on this M272 engine due to the looks of the residue. Engine has 89k miles

Thats the exact problem, people see the ads for an oil that will lubricate for 20k miles(im looking at you mobile 1 annual protection) and they automatically assume that ALL oil will. That is not the case, only certain formulations of the expensive stuff lasts that long. and even if the oil does I have not seen a filter rated for more than 15k mile changes, at which point why not just change it all out when you change the filter.

if you dont want to believe in the extended drain intervals then dont(it only helps me if you change it more), but knowing one of the engineers (my wife) who makes the formulations it is VERY possible for oil to lubricate properly for 20k (and more) miles between changes in an engine that is running properly.

Thats the exact problem, people see the ads for an oil that will lubricate for 20k miles(im looking at you mobile 1 annual protection) and they automatically assume that ALL oil will. That is not the case, only certain formulations of the expensive stuff lasts that long. and even if the oil does I have not seen a filter rated for more than 15k mile changes, at which point why not just change it all out when you change the filter.

if you dont want to believe in the extended drain intervals then dont(it only helps me if you change it more), but knowing one of the engineers (my wife) who makes the formulations it is VERY possible for oil to lubricate properly for 20k (and more) miles between changes in an engine that is running properly.
Mercedes uses strictly 229.5 oil for 98% of the current engines and 229.52 for BlueTec, new AMG 4 cyl turbo and hybrid engines.. and yes the brand is Mobil1

Mercedes uses strictly 229.5 oil for 98% of the current engines and 229.52 for BlueTec, new AMG 4 cyl turbo and hybrid engines.. and yes the brand is Mobil1

ill ask my wife what those numbers mean, Im assuming they are Mercedes internal material specs. I wonder if mobile ones 'annual protection' product meets them 🤔

also i wouldnt use mobile one in any of my cars after hearing the games that mobile plays with that product and some of the issues they have had in the past.

not that anyone under warranty should be playing that game.

Reactions: don
I change the synthetic oil in my car every 12 months, even if I only have drive 2,000-3,000 miles. My car is 18 years old, but I thought I was just reading somewhere that newer models have a problem with condensation and moisture getting in the oil.

I change the synthetic oil in my car every 12 months, even if I only have drive 2,000-3,000 miles. My car is 18 years old, but I thought I was just reading somewhere that newer models have a problem with condensation and moisture getting in the oil.

condensation/moisture getting into the oil is why they put a length of time on the change interval instead of just miles, if you drive the car every day and get it warmed up pretty completely once in a while (every week or two) you dont really need to worry about the time interval as warming the engine up to full operating temperature boils all that moisture out of the crankcase.

modern cars are generally better about that, there may be a few unique cases which are prone to moisture getting in, but im not aware of any, hell my challenger which sits all winter (thanksgiving to easter usually) never has any moisture in the oil when i pull it out, im tempted to not even change it this spring since i barely got to drive it this past year, will see what the wife thinks of that idea when we get there.

modern cars are generally better about that, there may be a few unique cases which are prone to moisture getting in, but im not aware of any,
Equinox/Terrain 2.4 have a huge problem with PCV. So much moisture collects, when it freezes will block off the vent tube and build crankcase pressure. Then the rear main blows out, along with all the oil and then kaboom. Oh and most all are customers that "always change" the oil every 20k or so if it needs it.
With this cold snap they will be lined up. Good, I love gravy jobs! No warranty for you without oil change receipts

i guess these are people without long drive cycles, as the long drive cycle would defrost the vent tube, and then cook the moisture out.

lmao at the 20k changes under warranty, thats a silly gamble dumb move for sure, i just found out my trucks PCM records the maximum mileage between oil change light resets probably to make warranty denials easier if you dont change it, now if only i could get total engine runtime hours out of it, thatd be interesting.

also keep in mind (im sure you already know this, but im throwing it out for the less informed) 'severe duty' drive cycle is applicable to ALOT more people than realize it, lots of short trips throw you in there and so does lots of idle time, im not sure how the electronic oil change indicators work all that into their forumla tho.

Back
Top Bottom