Ask an automobile mechanic.

Dingo

i guess these are people without long drive cycles, as the long drive cycle would defrost the vent tube, and then cook the moisture out.
I would guess normal drive cycles, with long oil change intervals. Plus a shit design PCV valve that is internal to the intake manifold and not serviceable. And a vent tube that is not heated.
My Honda has both a serviceable PCV and heated vent.

Reactions: don

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I would guess normal drive cycles, with long oil change intervals. Plus a shit design PCV valve that is internal to the intake manifold and not serviceable. And a vent tube that is not heated.
My Honda has both a serviceable PCV and heated vent.

interesting, iv never seen a heated vent, or a non-servicable PCV, what are you considering a 'long' oil change interval? most cars now are recommending 10k miles (or when the light comes on, whichever happens first). I would also think that the heat soak from the hot engine when you shut it off would defrost things, at least enough to remove the blockage. . . .

since your a gm tech, any common issue with the srx (15ish) or Colorado engines (my parents have one of each now) that i should expect to be hearing about? (both cars are garaged at night in a heated garage so frozen pcv and vents are highly unlikely)

Dingo

They attach the vent to a coolant pipe to warm it. So simple.

Don't know anything about cadilac, might as well be made in china Colorado's use the 3.6 with it's known timing chain problems, along with transmission woes. Unless they bought the turd diesel version.
pcv.jpg

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
i guess these are people without long drive cycles, as the long drive cycle would defrost the vent tube, and then cook the moisture out.

lmao at the 20k changes under warranty, thats a silly gamble dumb move for sure, i just found out my trucks PCM records the maximum mileage between oil change light resets probably to make warranty denials easier if you dont change it, now if only i could get total engine runtime hours out of it, thatd be interesting.

also keep in mind (im sure you already know this, but im throwing it out for the less informed) 'severe duty' drive cycle is applicable to ALOT more people than realize it, lots of short trips throw you in there and so does lots of idle time, im not sure how the electronic oil change indicators work all that into their forumla tho.

i have the Blue Driver OBDII diag dongle. I think it pulls total hours

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's
They attach the vent to a coolant pipe to warm it. So simple.

Don't know anything about cadilac, might as well be made in china Colorado's use the 3.6 with it's known timing chain problems, along with transmission woes. Unless they bought the turd diesel version.
View attachment 150219
nope, not diesel for him, i honestly thing his dakota that he traded in for it was a better fit, but im not paying his bills so :shrug:

i have the Blue Driver OBDII diag dongle. I think it pulls total hours

come read the total hours, my truck has a readout in the dash for driving vs idle hours, but it reset itself at 13xx drive hour :(

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
nope, not diesel for him, i honestly thing his dakota that he traded in for it was a better fit, but im not paying his bills so :shrug:

come read the total hours, my truck has a readout in the dash for driving vs idle hours, but it reset itself at 13xx drive hour :(

i'm heading to the sourlands in about an hour with @knobbyhead for impromptu fun friday (we decided about an hour ago)

Dingo

My Volvo has a similar pipe. Huge PITA to replace. It never occurred to me there was a functional reason for the coolant pipe being attached to the PCV system. Thanks!
Yeah, it never occurred to me either, until we had frozen vents. Then it clicked.
On the GM V8 trucks there is an updated oil fill cap that has a blow off valve built into it, just in case crankcase pressure builds up.

GTCHAMPION1

Why do the Germans my ancestors have to over complicate everything.
Working with Mercedes for over 14 years one thing I did noticed, this people are smart and their work instructions are exactly made to prevent injuries and damage to their vehicles and related parts, yes there are other easier ways to replace parts, but nothing beats the factory work instructions. Nothing seems complicated anymore trust me.

Dingo

Working with Mercedes for over 14 years one thing I did noticed, this people are smart and their work instructions are exactly made to prevent injuries and damage to their vehicles and related parts, yes there are other easier ways to replace parts, but nothing beats the factory work instructions. Nothing seems complicated anymore trust me.
GM is completely opposite. Service procedures are so convoluted that they are impossible to follow, or just wrong. Labor times are cut so bad that we are forced to find short cuts. We can submit the errors, so they can fix the procedures, but nothing ever changes. Techs are leaving gm in droves, darn near impossible to make a living here. Who is gonna fix their electric cars they plan on selling?

GTCHAMPION1

GM is completely opposite. Service procedures are so convoluted that they are impossible to follow, or just wrong. Labor times are cut so bad that we are forced to find short cuts. We can submit the errors, so they can fix the procedures, but nothing ever changes. Techs are leaving gm in droves, darn near impossible to make a living here. Who is gonna fix their electric cars they plan on selling?
I been avoiding getting Hybrid certified and EV certified but I will have to do it sometime in the next few years, so far I just took all the Electrical Awareness certifications just because I had to. But our labor time is pretty decent, I really cannot complaint there, sometimes I rather do warranty work than customer pay, just because sometimes they feel so bad for the customer or they just too afraid to shock the customer with labor time so they actually shave a few hours off to please the client. Some radiators on late model GLS can pay 8 hours, or a steering gear box on a 2014 G550 pays 14 hours and I have done it in 9 hours working by the book, I have seen a couple of people cutting corners and getting it done in under 6 hours, which really hurts to see or hear about that. I started at R&S Strauss Auto (lost all my 401k money) and some Japanese company Super Autobacks purchased R&S Strauss just to file bankruptcy and screw all the techs of the company... some huge shitty fraud... I was glad to start at a local Mercedes dealer with low pay and that overcharge the customer with labor time but I got educated by Mercedes, then I went to Benzel-Busch Mercedes in Englewood from which I loved it there and now I am at a smaller dealer down the shore. But so far I do respect the Mercedes-Benz brand and their way to educate the technicians, plus Mercedes do respect all technicians, and Mercedes has made dealerships respect technicians. The brand has a great philosophy and they know how to compensate all employees on all branches to provide the best satisfaction for all employees and customers. This is me telling you things from experience and not from passion. If the technician is happy, the technician will do a better job and will give the customer a better experience. I have consider going to a different brand dealership but I have been extremely afraid if I will be able to survive.

Last edited:

Dingo

W
I been avoiding getting Hybrid certified and EV certified but I will have to do it sometime in the next few years, so far I just took all the Electrical Awareness certifications just because I had to. But our labor time is pretty decent, I really cannot complaint there, sometimes I rather do warranty work than customer pay, just because sometimes they feel so bad for the customer or they just too afraid to shock the customer with labor time so they actually shave a few hours off to please the client. Some radiators on late model GLS can pay 8 hours, or a steering gear box on a 2014 G550 pays 14 hours and I have done it in 9 hours working by the book, I have seen a couple of people cutting corners and getting it done in under 6 hours, which really hurts to see or hear about that. I started at R&S Strauss Auto (lost all my 401k money) and some Japanese company Super Autobacks purchased R&S Strauss just to file bankruptcy and screw all the techs of the company... some huge shitty fraud... I was glad to start at a local Mercedes dealer with low pay and that overcharge the customer with labor time but I got educated by Mercedes, then I went to Benzel-Busch Mercedes in Englewood from which I loved it there and now I am at a smaller dealer down the shore. But so far I do respect the Mercedes-Benz brand and their way to educate the technicians, plus Mercedes do respect all technicians, and Mercedes has made dealerships respect technicians. The brand has a great philosophy and they know how to compensate all employees on all branches to provide the best satisfaction for all employees and customers. This is me telling you things from experience and not from passion. If the technician is happy, the technician will do a better job and will give the customer a better experience. I have consider going to a different brand dealership but I have been extremely afraid if I will be able to survive.
Wow! So odd to hear a tech is happy with his career choice. At gm we are all so fed up with it. I'm on several websites, and it's everywhere across the country, gm has fucked the techs with crappy products and labor time. They keep taking away, yet demand more. My paycheck is exactly half of what it was in 2008. I'm about 4 yrs away from retirement, so changing manufactures is not going to happen at this point. FUCK gm I honestly hope and pray they fold up! No government bail out next time.

GTCHAMPION1

W

Wow! So odd to hear a tech is happy with his career choice. At gm we are all so fed up with it. I'm on several websites, and it's everywhere across the country, gm has fucked the techs with crappy products and labor time. They keep taking away, yet demand more. My paycheck is exactly half of what it was in 2008. I'm about 4 yrs away from retirement, so changing manufactures is not going to happen at this point. FUCK gm I honestly hope and pray they fold up! No government bail out next time.
Sad to know about the situation with GM. I heard Tesla has nothing but overtime, and a lot of Benz techs went to Tesla, I do not know how their pay works but they seem to like it there. Electrical Vehicles are not my thing, at least for now.

Reactions: don

qclabrat

Looking for a used midsized pickup truck. Any recommendations? Prefer a bench seat up front. @Dingo did any GM pickups inherit gen1 Acadia's quality

Dingo

Looking for a used midsized pickup truck. Any recommendations? Prefer a bench seat up front. @Dingo did any GM pickups inherit gen1 Acadia's quality
The latest gen of Colorado/Canyon have been better than average GM quality. Avoid the 4 and 5 cylinder previous gen. I would look at Toyota to be honest.

Last edited:
Top Bottom