Ask an automobile mechanic.

Midsize pickup is a joke. Pick large or small. Get a Toyota or a Honda (available in small only) unless you want to be disappointed.

ok, I got a question.

2003 yukon 5.3 chevy engine. Reading cyl 3 misfire

spark plug?
Coil Pack ? - I could switch it with another one
If you say compression test, I think I just gave it away

I just dumped a bottle of tecktron in the tank to see if that helps.

Quick test is to move the spark plug and coil to another cyc and clear code ....see if the misfire "follows " the move.....if it does, you have your answer ...if it doesn't...then do a compression or a leak down test ...if those come up good...you could have a back fuel injector

Quick test is to move the spark plug and coil to another cyc and clear code ....see if the misfire "follows " the move.....if it does, you have your answer ...if it doesn't...then do a compression or a leak down test ...if those come up good...you could have a back fuel injector
Thanks. I'll reinvestigate when the snow melts.

ok, I got a question.

spark plug?

Compression test easy way with no tools. Kill the igntion by unplugging the coil packs, crank over and listen, if it sounds uneven like it's skipping a cylinder, there's a problem. Bent push rod or broken valve spring most common.

ok, I got a question.

spark plug?

My guess would be coil pack.

Compression test easy way with no tools. Kill the igntion by unplugging the coil packs, crank over and listen, if it sounds uneven like it's skipping a cylinder, there's a problem. Bent push rod or broken valve spring most common.

Hopefully that's not it. But that's a great was of testing it.

Last edited by a moderator:
On my 1999 5.3 I get intermittent misfire codes, but the main one is for cam position sensor. I replaced the sensor and still get the code. I'm almost positive that with 290K, the timing chain is shot and causing this. The only issue is it takes 2 or 4 cranks to start then runs flawless. Been doing that since I bought it from @Patrick ~40K miles ago. 😁
I'm going to ride it out.😎

On my 1999 5.3 I get intermittent misfire codes, but the main one is for cam position sensor. I replaced the sensor and still get the code. I'm almost positive that with 290K, the timing chain is shot and causing this. The only issue is it takes 2 or 4 cranks to start then runs flawless. Been doing that since I bought it from @Patrick ~40K miles ago. 😁
I'm going to ride it out.😎

i've put more miles on my truck! you're driving the vette too much.

I been avoiding getting Hybrid certified and EV certified but I will have to do it sometime in the next few years, so far I just took all the Electrical Awareness certifications just because I had to. But our labor time is pretty decent, I really cannot complaint there, sometimes I rather do warranty work than customer pay, just because sometimes they feel so bad for the customer or they just too afraid to shock the customer with labor time so they actually shave a few hours off to please the client. Some radiators on late model GLS can pay 8 hours, or a steering gear box on a 2014 G550 pays 14 hours and I have done it in 9 hours working by the book, I have seen a couple of people cutting corners and getting it done in under 6 hours, which really hurts to see or hear about that. I started at R&S Strauss Auto (lost all my 401k money) and some Japanese company Super Autobacks purchased R&S Strauss just to file bankruptcy and screw all the techs of the company... some huge shitty fraud... I was glad to start at a local Mercedes dealer with low pay and that overcharge the customer with labor time but I got educated by Mercedes, then I went to Benzel-Busch Mercedes in Englewood from which I loved it there and now I am at a smaller dealer down the shore. But so far I do respect the Mercedes-Benz brand and their way to educate the technicians, plus Mercedes do respect all technicians, and Mercedes has made dealerships respect technicians. The brand has a great philosophy and they know how to compensate all employees on all branches to provide the best satisfaction for all employees and customers. This is me telling you things from experience and not from passion. If the technician is happy, the technician will do a better job and will give the customer a better experience. I have consider going to a different brand dealership but I have been extremely afraid if I will be able to survive.
Long time ago when I was a young engineering student, I was at a job fair and so was Mercedes. I talked with the rep for a while and he said, finish school and then come to us. We will send you to tech school and you can work in R&D or stateside doing technical work. The salesman gave you the impression MB wasnt blowing smoke and they followed the European training regiment. Seems to still be true based on your post.

Long time ago when I was a young engineering student, I was at a job fair and so was Mercedes. I talked with the rep for a while and he said, finish school and then come to us. We will send you to tech school and you can work in R&D or stateside doing technical work. The salesman gave you the impression MB wasnt blowing smoke and they followed the European training regiment. Seems to still be true based on your post.
I have nothing negative to say about MB, everything has been a great experience. Yes! There been some extreme challenges and there still are challenges, but somehow I still manage to work around those challenges. MB is always looking forward to provide the best customer experience and if the technicians and salesmen cannot have a good experience at work how can the customer have a good experience with every transaction made at a dealer or service department. I wish I could share some of my Customer1 training videos, but they kinda confidential.
Just a few months left to get my 15 year Silver awardIMG_20191030_220149_599.jpg

Back
Top Bottom