What motivates you?

rosceaux

I have many long-term goals with races being among them. But what gets me out the door on a daily basis?

1. Scheduling: I schedule my next week's training every Saturday and put it in my calendar. Comes right up on my watch so I know what I have to do. I give myself some flexibility based on immediate needs and weather, but other than shuffling among days, there isn't a whole lot of thinking that has to go what I am going to do and why. The deep thinking is Saturday, everything else is follow through.

2. Metrics: My Garmin watch has VO2 metrics. When I was (much) younger and running at a higher level, I know what my "real" Vo2 max scores were. The Garmin's is rough and inexact and probably equal amounts of bullshit and science. But I do look at the numbers a couple of times a week to see what my estimates are. And its close enough to confirm that I've had a good few weeks or not. And as much as I'd like to say it doesn't matter, I think about beating that watch almost every time I'm out.

3. Friend challenges: I have a standing challenge against a friend. On the trails... I run, he rides. I'm 3-1 right now and there's no way he's ever gonna beat me again. There is a Magnetic bumper sticker that has a bike and a runner on it that says "CHAMP." He has it on his truck now. I'm getting it back. I ran yesterday and he didn't ride. Petty? Yup. Juvenile? Yup. Motivating? YUP!!!

xc62701

Ok so maybe my frustration or lack of motivation was necessary. I got into wildcat today and enjoyed my ride much more than the last time I was there. If I rode last night maybe I wouldn’t have had as good of a ride. Who knows.

Dave Taylor

Rex kwan Do
Speaking of motivation...I am adding core work and yoga in to my routine. I find the basic stuff hard and it’s tough to push through. Like I don’t wanna do it. I think trail running helps with core a bit but mand does it suck doing these sufferfest workouts. Like any day of the week you tell me to go put our so and so watts or ride for 5 hours at so and so watts...easy. Go do two sets of side bridges with arm raises(I am dead).

1speed

Incredibly profound yet fantastically flawed
Speaking of motivation...I am adding core work and yoga in to my routine. I find the basic stuff hard and it’s tough to push through. Like I don’t wanna do it. I think trail running helps with core a bit but mand does it suck doing these sufferfest workouts. Like any day of the week you tell me to go put our so and so watts or ride for 5 hours at so and so watts...easy. Go do two sets of side bridges with arm raises(I am dead).
@Dave Taylor - core focused workouts can be brutal. It helps to add "fun" elements to them. I used to take a lot of yoga, but I can't do the level I used to anymore because my back just won't hold up to some of the poses anymore. So now I do planks and bridges as part of a core strengthening routine, but I also picked up a balance board and a slide board to add some more dynamic, fun elements to the workouts. The balance board is fantastic for core strength and it's actually pretty easy to get up to the point where you can balance one it (took me maybe 20 minutes before I could stand on the board comfortably.) But once you start adding in other elements, it gets hard fast but stays fun - like doing body weight squats or even just staying balanced while focusing on other coordination, like trying to juggle or do dumbbell raises or anything like that. (Just use light weight - you don't want to fall while holding heavier dumbbells in your hands!) And a slide board can be a fun workout for your entire lower body and core. If it seems easy, get a longer board - mine adjusts continuously up to 8 feet and if I set it close to 8, just making it all the way side to side requires a lot of effort and core control. I try to do like 2 minute planks and/or one legged bridges interspersed with some balance work and some band work my wife gave me before I finish up with sliding. (BTW, the band work is a great set of exercises for someone with a bad back - it forces you to develop lower body core strength without putting pressure in your back - lateral walks with a band just above your knees starts off easy, but gets super hard after about three rounds.) The whole workout takes about a half hour to 45 minutes and I'm wrecked by the end of it.

For those not aware of what I'm talking about:

Balance board
101_overview_green.png

Slide board:
product-SLIDE-BOARD-014-8FT-slide-board-pro_900x900_crop_center.jpg

resistance bands (I strongly suggest getting the fabric bands because they don't bunch up the same way and don't dig into your legs as much):
workout-resistance-bands-loop-set-crossfit-fitness-booty-leg-health-beauty-ipaxxon-121101_grande.png

Dave Taylor

Rex kwan Do
@Dave Taylor - core focused workouts can be brutal. It helps to add "fun" elements to them. I used to take a lot of yoga, but I can't do the level I used to anymore because my back just won't hold up to some of the poses anymore. So now I do planks and bridges as part of a core strengthening routine, but I also picked up a balance board and a slide board to add some more dynamic, fun elements to the workouts. The balance board is fantastic for core strength and it's actually pretty easy to get up to the point where you can balance one it (took me maybe 20 minutes before I could stand on the board comfortably.) But once you start adding in other elements, it gets hard fast but stays fun - like doing body weight squats or even just staying balanced while focusing on other coordination, like trying to juggle or do dumbbell raises or anything like that. (Just use light weight - you don't want to fall while holding heavier dumbbells in your hands!) And a slide board can be a fun workout for your entire lower body and core. If it seems easy, get a longer board - mine adjusts continuously up to 8 feet and if I set it close to 8, just making it all the way side to side requires a lot of effort and core control. I try to do like 2 minute planks and/or one legged bridges interspersed with some balance work and some band work my wife gave me before I finish up with sliding. (BTW, the band work is a great set of exercises for someone with a bad back - it forces you to develop lower body core strength without putting pressure in your back - lateral walks with a band just above your knees starts off easy, but gets super hard after about three rounds.) The whole workout takes about a half hour to 45 minutes and I'm wrecked by the end of it.

For those not aware of what I'm talking about:

Balance board
View attachment 148637

Slide board:
View attachment 148636

resistance bands (I strongly suggest getting the fabric bands because they don't bunch up the same way and don't dig into your legs as much):
View attachment 148638
Yea! I bought some bands and wall chords too. The yoga is tough because I can not move like that. I started out with beginner strength and i will progress.

Big Dumb Animal

Hippo Nipples' #1 Fan
Yea! I bought some bands and wall chords too. The yoga is tough because I can not move like that. I started out with beginner strength and i will progress.
Less equipment and some serious core training and full body, check out the Insanity DVD series. The original needs no equipment and only about 6 feet of space. Workouts range in time from 30-60 minutes.
Insanity sports asylum volume 1&2-absolutely brutal but require equipment, jump rope and agility ladder are provided if you buy it legit.
Insanity Max 30-only 30 minutes and no equipment. This is my go to for a short but very effective workout. So much core and stability work that transfers to cycling and mobility.

Karate Monkey

Bands/balance boards (there are several versions of these available, and I used all of them during my PT) are way harder than is immediately obvious. Your focus for both is slow, deliberate movements (read up on the Feldenkrais or Alexander methods, then do yourself a favor and find someone who practices them locally to try it out). It pays dividends to do the exercises with a therapist for a few months if you can, as form is just as important as actually doing the exercise (as anyone who's had a PT hold their back flat during a plank can attest).

No matter how rock-solid you think your conditioning is, a balance board will immediately reveal your shortcomings. Bands are excellent for rehabilitation/gentle exercise and stretching. We both have [more than] a full set between the two of us, doing exercises that help to alleviate pressure from shoulders/wrists/back, etc.

For what it's worth, a full core workout (which is what my PT revolved around) takes ~10 minutes with no breaks. There were 3 stretches, planks, squats (then later: squats with weight; squats on balance board; squats with weight on balance board), and combination arm/shoulder exercises (pull downs, inclined press).

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
It is unfortunate when people need a nee bike to keep the stoke*.

*as I currently wait for my Grip2 cartridge to arrive

@xc62701 you have jinxed me. I was so not into riding this morning, blame it on this thread.

xc62701

Are you gonna buy a real fatbike?

I just need to order tires to have a real fatbike.

And no...it's more of a skinny bike. That just means it's time to sell one or two of the bikes I have to welcome the new addition. I don't know why I have so many bikes really. All I want is a MTB, gravel, and road bike but I need some backups as well for all the crap I F up.

Top Bottom