What motivates you?

xc62701

On those days when you want to ride but things are not working, what helps get you out the door? Last night I put the kids down and was wanting to get outside and just get an easy hour in. I went out to see how cold it was and it was colder than I wanted. So I said, ok maybe I'll ride the trainer. Then after trying to get zwift to load and for the second time this week it didn't, I got really frustrated. I don't know what's up with that thing. I'm just going to cancel my subscription. I said f*ck it and went to bed. So what helps you get out the door or push through when everything is making you rethink your decision? I know I need to HTFU and get out there but some days my mind just won't let me.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
On those days when you want to ride but things are not working, what helps get you out the door? Last night I put the kids down and was wanting to get outside and just get an easy hour in. I went out to see how cold it was and it was colder than I wanted. So I said, ok maybe I'll ride the trainer. Then after trying to get zwift to load and for the second time this week it didn't, I got really frustrated. I don't know what's up with that thing. I'm just going to cancel my subscription. I said f*ck it and went to bed. So what helps you get out the door or push through when everything is making you rethink your decision? I know I need to HTFU and get out there but some days my mind just won't let me.

update your OS + app. it is very sensitive to change.
what do you run zwift on?
-
i'm the wrong person to ask about motivation - without any event on the schedule, there is no
"responsibility" to get the time in. even at my 'just suck less' level, i felt more compelled to go with a target event.

kearneyb

Short term motivation like you described? Get dressed to workout before you go outside to check temperature, bring an extra layer with you. At this point you are committed and it is easier to add or remove an extra layer when you are standing in the garage.

clarkenstein

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
I think anything that gets in the way (weather, tech, time, etc) makes riding an additional stress. And that’s no good.

Riding is a lot like sex - you’re never going to regret it after you’re done. Keep that mindset and you’ll be able to ride in the worst weather, at the worst possible time, or going through the buggiest Zwift ride set up.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Current state - I am the wrong person to answer this question.

Previous life - it's just what you do. Remember those days of yore when I would get up at 4am, ride my bike, then take a train to NYC? I just did it. There is no motivating factor. Just like the January alcohol thread - and I suppose the Nike adage - you just do it, as if it's a light switch. The decision to have that switch ON or OFF has been made way ahead of the moment when you stand at the door trying to decide if you're going out or not.

If I were your coach, I would ask you this. Was that hour of spinning going to get you something more than getting an extra hour+ of sleep? I tend to doubt it. So in the case above, you need to ask yourself: what is the goal of my walking out the door? Countless studies have shown that sleep drives overall health more than eating & exercise. So unless walking out the door is targeting a specific workout, then work on getting more rest.

Failing that, stand in front of a full length mirror with no shirt on for a while.

Big Dumb Animal

Hippo Nipples' #1 Fan
The money I spent on equipment, winter riding gear, everything, gives me motivation. Although it's already spent it always makes me feel worse seeing it sit in the corner looking all sad while I relax on the couch.
As Norm said, being at the point where the switch is just on, it's just something you do now.
As cold as it can be I always think how I'll be warm in 10 minutes, how great I'll feel after I'm done, and how much more relaxing the couch will be after a nice hot shower.

Mahnken

The pandemic really threw my game off. I started 2020 off great (actually started December 2019), training for a bunch of races on the 2020 schedule. Then covid hit, races got cancelled, and eventually my job (operating room nurse, as needed) decided saving money was better than appropriate staffing and really cut down on my hours (I'm there about once a week now, I might start picking up shifts sticking vaccines in people's arms soon just to get out of the house). Being home with the kids all day everyday really started taking it's toll on me, it's mentally exhausting. Stay at home parents really don't get the credit they deserve, it's the hardest job I've ever had to do. Eventually towards the end of the year I was lucky if I dragged myself out of the house once a week for exercise and I gained 20 pounds from where I was a year ago. Most of my races are all back on the schedule now and at this point I really need to get back at it. I should've started up a training plan back in November, but it took a new years resolution (I really hate new years resolutions) to get me going. Since the new year started I've managed to do something (bike or run) everyday, keeping that streak going is helping to nudge me out the door when I don't feel like it. Getting vaccinated helped improve things too because now I'll feel more comfortable at the races. And after my second dose I'll finally feel comfortable to get back to the pool at the gym. My bigger races are in May (way over yonder xterra) and June (eagleman 70.3, half ironman). My mental state is getting better day by day, I really think there was a bit of depression creeping in. Not sure I'll be in the shape for these races that I would've been had covid never hit, which sucks, but I've gotta try and get there. I guess that's keeping me motivated.
I cancelled zwift for the same reasons. I hated all the updates and resetting the computer all the time. Seemed like it never wanted to just work. I use trainerroad now, it just works.

JimN

Captain Wildcat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I went out to see how cold it was and it was colder than I wanted. So I said, ok maybe I'll ride the trainer. Then after trying to get zwift to load and for the second time this week it didn't, I got really frustrated. I don't know what's up with that thing. I'm just going to cancel my subscription. I said f*ck it and went to bed.

If you didn't have Zwift, would you have just added a layer and gone out to ride?

extremedave

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Riding is a lot like sex - you’re never going to regret it after you’re done. Keep that mindset and you’ll be able to ride in the worst weather, at the worst possible time, or going through the buggiest Zwift ride set up.

I'm going with this. I had zero motivation Sunday. Getting geared up to go out in the cold is never easy. I ended up on the Columbia trail walking the pup with the fatbike. As I was rolling along, I found myself wishing I was on a legit trail for much longer. So yeah, it's hard to get going but it usually doesn't suck.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
Motivation shifts overtime, from chasing miles, to hours, an event; but at some point, everything becomes old. Adding TM to my rides has been motivating the last few years.

@Norm pretty much sums it up with the decision to ride is made well before standing at the door. There are sometimes when I get up to ride and see it is pouring or some kinda of other undesirable condition and I go back to sleep.

I don't know what hours your job has, but it would seem like it is a "9-5" situation. Since I had kids, riding in the evening adds a ton of stress, simply from a family perspective. At some point you are running out the door to ride, kid is screaming, you didn't clean up the dishes, insert 20 other things it could be. This stress is all on top of you had a shit day at work, and now you are waiting until 7 or 8 pm to ride? Ugh.

It took a long time to get used to, but morning routines make my riding WAY more consistent. Assuming your kid stays asleep... But work is generally quiet, you dont have a pile of shit to clean up before you go out and you are only limited by actually getting out of bed. Sure it is the coldest part of the day, dark, etc, but roads are less travelled, trails are empty and you can just zone out and ride....

Dave Taylor

Rex kwan Do
A bit of what Norm said and some of what Jim V said. For me, I am a bit OCD so no problem. I actually get more stressed if I don’t get enough volume(just like alcohol). I look at the bike as my “me time”, whether it’s training, cruising, chasing koms. Often I am more in the situation of “how am I 30 miles into this shitty and cold, wet rainy ride?” Windering how I got there. Just like quitting drinking it needs to be habit or it won’t last. Biking is habit for me.

I have had a bunch of back issues however and getting a rowing machine and treadmill allows the body to rest in other areas. BTW, I ised to have all those zwift issues and then I bought a stages bike. It works flawlessly and is easy to get rolling.

rick81721

Lothar
A bit of what Norm said and some of what Jim V said. For me, I am a bit OCD so no problem. I actually get more stressed if I don’t get enough volume(just like alcohol). I look at the bike as my “me time”, whether it’s training, cruising, chasing koms. Often I am more in the situation of “how am I 30 miles into this shitty and cold, wet rainy ride?” Windering how I got there. Just like quitting drinking it needs to be habit or it won’t last. Biking is habit for me.

I have had a bunch of back issues however and getting a rowing machine and treadmill allows the body to rest in other areas. BTW, I ised to have all those zwift issues and then I bought a stages bike. It works flawlessly and is easy to get rolling.

Yeah forgot to add, up north when the weather is miserable I go to plan B and do a treadmill run + weight training instead of a ride.

Dave Taylor

Rex kwan Do
Motivation shifts overtime, from chasing miles, to hours, an event; but at some point, everything becomes old. Adding TM to my rides has been motivating the last few years.

@Norm pretty much sums it up with the decision to ride is made well before standing at the door. There are sometimes when I get up to ride and see it is pouring or some kinda of other undesirable condition and I go back to sleep.

I don't know what hours your job has, but it would seem like it is a "9-5" situation. Since I had kids, riding in the evening adds a ton of stress, simply from a family perspective. At some point you are running out the door to ride, kid is screaming, you didn't clean up the dishes, insert 20 other things it could be. This stress is all on top of you had a shit day at work, and now you are waiting until 7 or 8 pm to ride? Ugh.

It took a long time to get used to, but morning routines make my riding WAY more consistent. Assuming your kid stays asleep... But work is generally quiet, you dont have a pile of shit to clean up before you go out and you are only limited by actually getting out of bed. Sure it is the coldest part of the day, dark, etc, but roads are less travelled, trails are empty and you can just zone out and ride....
This too. I switched it up a bit and do sufferfest, zwift races or treadmill to get more tas during the week. I save my long rides for 5:30am on the weekends. If you wait til 7 at night that gives u too mich time to overthink it and bail out.

goldsbar

Slightly different view. There's nothing wrong with getting a little lazy in the winter or whenever if it just means you'll come out more enthused in the spring. I've become more like Lance over the last few years and ride fairly full on all year. Not sure that's good. I blame Zwift. Previously I did some riding and have all the stories around near zero degree commutes and MTB rides, but it was never nearly as much as the summer. Mixed it up more with skiing, running, heavy bag, jump rope, whatever, though definitely lost fitness. Just make sure you do something - even walking or light hiking - so it's part of your routine and you'll recover fitness rapidly when you start again.

Top Bottom