What motivates you?

xc62701

Another thing that motivates me is to try new routes and trails that I haven't been on or even road loops. Trying to clear hard tech obstacles is usually motivating too until I'm on the ground bleeding. I get bored riding the same old thing all the time so maybe that's why I'm fighting the trainer too...

mfennell

I think the need to keep up with my friends keeps me motivated to drag my ass out of bed at 5 and I keep getting faster friends. Nothing is more awesome than a group ride in the woods where everyone is skilled and fit. You know everyone will clear that log, clean that climb, rip that downhill, etc. So, so fun. Same with a fast paceline on the road.

mtbiker87

Having two children with autism at home, I rarely lack motivation to get out and ride, seeing how any free time I get is precious, and not to be wasted. But the few times I do find myself somewhat lacking in the motivation department, I pull out a bike I have'nt ridden in awhile and doing something different. Maybe pull out the DJ bike, or the BMX and hit the pumptrack at Port Jervis, or just goof around in the parking lot next door. Or hit the a local spot here that some kids built up to ride moto and do some jumps. Or maybe ride up to the pipeline up the road and see how far its ridable, explore any side trails off it I might find, or taking a spin on the Sussex Branch with my daughter. Unlike some here, who are motivated by training for an event, or having a specific goal, I find just getting out and goofing around on my bike, just feeling that freedom and joy riding a bike can bring, like it did when I was i kid, is all the motivation I need. " Training " sounds like work, and work isnt usually associated with fun. And thats kind of why we ride bikes recreationally for anyway isnt it ? Fun ?

one piece crank

I like riding new and difficult terrain - picking lines, body-english, figuring how to ride up seeming impossible features, and of course, hang time. I get disappointed in cranking up my mileage, to find I only to get better at covering miles. What fun is that?! Technique, balance, skills that’s where it’s at...

You want to improve your core strength, try smaller wheels. Seriously, big wheels will make you soft. I can almost guarantee if the average 29’er swapped to 26” for their difficult rides, they’d cry that it’s unfair and too difficult. That’s the lazy boy of the mountain bike world corrupting you.

1speed

Incredibly profound yet fantastically flawed
I like riding new and difficult terrain - picking lines, body-english, figuring how to ride up seeming impossible features, and of course, hang time. I get disappointed in cranking up my mileage, to find I only to get better at covering miles. What fun is that?! Technique, balance, skills that’s where it’s at...

You want to improve your core strength, try smaller wheels. Seriously, big wheels will make you soft. I can almost guarantee if the average 29’er swapped to 26” for their difficult rides, they’d cry that it’s unfair and too difficult. That’s the lazy boy of the mountain bike world corrupting you.
Why stop there? You wanna talk about the "Lazy Boy" of the bike world? Pneumatic tires take away the true "organic" feel of wooden wheels. And are you really even doing any work if you're not riding a fixie in the woods? There's also an argument to be made for riding solid steel tubing. Yeah ... unless you're riding a 55 lb. fixie with wooden wheels through Allamuchy, you're soft as a newborn kitten.

Dave Taylor

Rex kwan Do
I think the need to keep up with my friends keeps me motivated to drag my ass out of bed at 5 and I keep getting faster friends. Nothing is more awesome than a group ride in the woods where everyone is skilled and fit. You know everyone will clear that log, clean that climb, rip that downhill, etc. So, so fun. Same with a fast paceline on the road.
This 100%.

1speed

Incredibly profound yet fantastically flawed
Yes - with 26" on each side.
Dammit ... my OCD with all things Pythagorean (you know how that is ...) is gnawing at me on this one ...They should be 18.38478" on each side. That way, they'd have a diagonal of 26". We don't want to cheat.

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Some more things that motivate me to ride/ workout:

Clearing my head and cranking music when I ride.

Post workout shakes. 3 parts lemon lime Gatorade powder, 1 part vanilla protein powder....like key lime pie. So good.

A higher FTP. And before Dave Taylor @‘s me.... I know FTP isn’t the end all be all, it’s just a way to baseline fitness improvements. And when it goes up that means good things and it goes up from doing work.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
Post workout shakes. 3 parts lemon lime Gatorade powder, 1 part vanilla protein powder....like key lime pie. So good.
giphy.gif

Top Bottom