The Grand Ave Project

Stair tread and riser refinishing

1/4" mahogany plywood risers to cover up 110 years of paint.
white oak bullnose with white oak flooring.
Gon' look just right!

IMG_5755.JPG

HA! that's the one we originally wanted but decided on Another.
You dodged a bullet on that one. No matter which you go with, I cannot stress enough how much I like buying appliances at/from PC Richard because they have a 10-year extended warranty that costs about the same as a 4-year extension plan at Best Buy.

Lowe's has horrible service as far as I am concerned. And they charge if they come for a service call and determine that a call was not warranted.

Last edited:
You dodged a bullet on that one. No matter which you go with, I cannot stress enough how much I like buying appliances at/from PC Richard because they have a 20-year extended warranty that costs about the same as a 4-year extension plan at Best Buy.

Lowe's has horrible service as far as I am concerned. And they charge if they come for a service call and determine that a call was not warranted.
I've yet to check their prices. I bought my tv from them and was happy with their service and support. Good suggestion!

The salesman will often drop the price enough to about cover the cost of the extended warranty. So it's sort of like paying full price and getting them to throw in the extended warranty.

Last edited:
That seems to be the way, everyone I've talked to says that Samsung is legit with everything

Nope...im a samsung house tho. Tv, wash/dry, fridge. Wife and i.love samsung stuff

we've had the opposite with Samsung, both our fridge and washer suck. The frost freeze function freezes over and you get a pool of water in your veggie drawer, while under warranty the service guy said it was a design flaw and was no real solution, but he came over 2 additional times while the warranty was still valid. I actually tried to fix it again myself this weekend from a part suggested by someone here. Hope it works cause soggy veggie drawers are no fun. Also my washer was never level. The same service guy as the fridge tried everything to stop it from moving when in the spin cycle. He even changed some weights in the drum as he thought it was uneven and causing it to "walk" a few inches away from the wall each time we used it. Well, just like the fridge, it never got fixed and the warranty eventually ran out. All in all the service guy came over 5 time for two appliances over the course of two years. Not good quality in my experience. Never buying another Samsung appliance, though their TVs and phones are great other than the ones that catch fire. Good luck picking your appliances.

We have a Samsung refrigerator that is really nice looking and has nice design aesthetically, but electronics and reliability-wise is just crap. Icemakers are a known problem with these units. Biggest problem we have is that the twin cooling system blower for the refrigerator gets blocked up with ice. So 2 to 3 times a year I need to empty the out refrigerator and then remove rear blower and chip away and defrost the fan and refrigerant lines.

We have a basic Samsung microwave which is decent enough and has been generally OK. We got it because it matches refrigerator.

Personally I have always been a big advocate for Samsung televisions, but now I am wondering if I would even consider a Samsung TV next time.

We have an LG front loader clothing washer that has been just awesome.

I've been doing the same for the past 5 years, if my aftermarket part works, I'll shoot over the part number to you. Its an OEM Samsung part so its legit.[/QUOTE]

Ditto. Mine now makes about 10 cubes every 4 days. Unit does not eject ice out. I thinks the ejecter mechanism is done
The ice maker in our unit is located within the refrigerator compartment and not in the lower freezer drawer compartment. So every week and a half or so, I need to remove the ice cube container and chip away excess ice and clear any ice cube blockages, otherwise it gets blocked up and stops making cubes.

Ours keeps making ice as long as the ice dams are removed. The auger motors are also problematic, although thankfully, I have not experienced that problem yet.
I have to reset ours every month or so - it just stops making ice. Worst design ever!

I have two fridges in my kitchen, we like to have a lot of food at hand...
The other is a GE Profile I had gotten from my brother when he moved overseas. The ice from the door never worked right so just retrieved it from the freezer bin. When the ice maker completely stopped working, I did some research and found out it may be related to the main board. I found a replacement online for about $75. After 2 hrs of labor, everything now works, including ice from the door. Not sure if this solution will fix your fridges, but may be worth the effort if it interests you.

The salesman will often drop the price enough to about cover the cost of the extended warranty. So it's sort of like paying full price and getting them to throw in the extended warranty.
Did more research in my free time and found some GE Profile appliances at PC Richards for around the same price. I've always hear that line of GE is excellent. With the horror stories I'm hearing here, I've taken Samsung off my list.... sorry Samsung

We went with the mismatched brand kitchen appliance route, all stainless. Kitchen Aid French door, counter depth fridge, water dispenser inside with ice maker in freezer drawer below, for the clean look. Kitchen Aid dishwasher, very quiet. GE Cafe gas 5 burner convection oven with range hood. Low ceiling and we don't microwave too much, so just a 1200w Panasonic counter top unit on a shelf below upper cabinet instead of over the range.

Did more research in my free time and found some GE Profile appliances at PC Richards for around the same price. I've always hear that line of GE is excellent. With the horror stories I'm hearing here, I've taken Samsung off my list.... sorry Samsung

Rob everything here is GE profile. So far so good. Everything whistles and chimes at you!

Our previous refrigerator was Whirlpool Gold and that thing was a champ. We got that back in 2000 and the stainless steel never got finger prints or dirt.

We went with the Samsung though because we liked the styling and 4 drawers. Unfortunately, the stainless steel exterior on that gets smudges easily.

Wife was considering a Bosch dishwasher, but we went with KitchenAid again because we got an phenomenal deal at PC Richard and also because Kitchen Aid has been rock solid and problem-free for us. 3 levels in the KitchenAid dishwasher is really nice.

Our rough electrical inspection passed... next Thursday is the rough plumbing inspection. today also marks 34 weeks pregnant, this weekend is our first baby class and the baby shower. the light at the end of the tunnel is visible yet it is very blurry....

Oh man. Baby class. I'm getting roped in to a 5 week class every Monday from 6-9 starting next week (I think). What happened to just winging it like in the good old days?

today also marks 34 weeks pregnant, this weekend is our first baby class and the baby shower. the light at the end of the tunnel is visible yet it is very blurry....

It's gettin real now! Get ready for the shitty diapers, we're going through 12 a day here....

Oh man. Baby class. I'm getting roped in to a 5 week class every Monday from 6-9 starting next week (I think). What happened to just winging it like in the good old days?

Baby care, or labor/delivery? If it's the latter, you'll be surprised at how much you need to be doing. I was thinking "no way I'll be able to support my wife through this." She rocked it like a superhero, I think I remembered 5% of what we learned.

What happened to just winging it like in the good old days?
Seriously. Winging it could be the best way bc if it was up to Google you're either dying or have cancer. I was talking to a few guys that are new dad's and they were like, "if you need help hit me up".... I don't know where to begin to ask for help on this subject. I guess I'm more relying on my natural instinct to kick in and takeover.
@rlb congrats on the new addition, I'm looking forward to the dad duties. Seen a bunch of close people go through it and I've envy their strength and have seen them grow as people. Future dad stoke level is zoomin!

Crunch time is not even a subject here. I got to search through 50 interior doors at her dad's shop this evening. I've got 6 eyed up and a few picked out for the closets. All shaker style which is the look I was hoping for.
IMG_5776.JPG

I always try to tell my wife that no matter what you do the kid is going to eat dirt and drink toilet water when you're not looking in a few years. But apparently if you don't do everything right, even before he's born, the kid is going to be a loser and never get into college.

I've been bad about blogging about being a pre-Dad, maybe I'll try to do a brief post each week when the classes start. Were 32 weeks so just a tad behind you.

@rlb congrats on the new addition, I'm looking forward to the dad duties. Seen a bunch of close people go through it and I've envy their strength and have seen them grow as people. Future dad stoke level is zoomin!

Thanks, it's been a pretty cool experience so far. Having an infant has definitely turned me into a more patient person overnight, so I can't wait to see how the whole family grows together.

I like the door selection, definitely easier to paint than those dumb 6 panel doors (20+ in my house). Looking forward to seeing pics of everything coming together.

Back
Top Bottom