The Grand Ave Project

RobW

I'm starting a renovation blog to document the beginnings of my next step in life. To preface, Margaret and I are expecting a baby in August, as soon as we found out I began hunting down homes, I moved in with Margaret and her roommates in Asbury to save money. I was given solid advice to not buy a house because of the expenses for a baby and a house would be crazy to do both. However, I couldn't stand the thought of having to pay RENT any longer. For a two bedroom condo or home, it was about 1600-2000 a month which is completely ridiculous and a mortgage payment would be the same.
All while scowering the Internet for a house, Margaret's Dad was looking at a house for his step son. If he didn't want the house, we would get a chance to buy if we liked it. Well, we bought the house for almost near free, mortgage payment on it is silly cheap. It's been abandoned since December and the previous tenant had been evicted and the place was in BAD shape. Some good things about the house were- new furnance, new central air, new electric panel(150), new sewer. Needless to say we really really lucked out. Oh, btw.. her dad is a successful contractor with great craftsmanship.
IMG_5473.JPG

Asbuilt plans-
IMG_5480.jpg

View from kitchen into dining room-
IMG_6685.JPG

Dining room-
IMG_6748.JPG

Living room-
IMG_6749.JPG

Bathroom-
IMG_6750.JPG

Second bedroom-
IMG_6753.JPG

Master bedroom-
IMG_6756.JPG

Four guys and 8 hours work gets you this-view from master
IMG_5526.JPG

We've got a tight deadline and the guys have started on the first floor. We should be done gutting by Saturday. We've got a blank canvas and have some incredible plans coming. The vibes are beyond anything I've ever encountered. Yesterday I spent the day in the backyards with some guys from work cleaning it up. I met both neighbors who are Brazilian. They fed both of my crews and myself included Brazilian BBQ --can get used to that!!!
IMG_5527.JPG

Thanks for reading.

Kirt

JORBA: Chimney Rock, Team MTBNJ.COM
JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's
First.

Love reading this Kind of stuff. Best of luck with the house and the baby.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
awesome sauces!! Best of luck - take your time planning, then build with purpose!! Wear a respirator.

Mountain Bike Mike

Good Luck Cuz!

I think its fair to say I can borrow your bikes because ALL your freetime for the next 5 years is accounted for... if you need to take a brake and get some dirt therapy, you know how to reach me.

Oh, and since you did the complete opposite of my advice, at least take this one... get a fresh tetanus shot before you decide to christen all the rooms.

Seriously - I saw the FB post from the reveal party.. A boy... WOW... thats awesome

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
This is a great and sometimes frustrating experience. Wishing you the best of luck for a smooth reno. Also congrats with the future bundle of joy.

RobW

thanks all! planning the following after gutting-
installing new electric wire throughout
recessed lighting
adding powder room off kitchen
moving side entrance to accommodate powder room
making upstairs bathroom smaller to accommodate new closet for the boy
making old 2nd bed closet into a 2nd closet for master
spray foam outside walls
refinish hardwood floors throughout
keeping the stained glass windows after they are refinished
replacing windows of front porch
kitchen was an add on 10 years ago, it has a vaulted ceiling that we will open up and shiplap it.
newer kitchen cabinets (need to paint)
newer kitchen appliances
deleting wall between kitchen and dining
deleting wall between living and dining
leaving chimney with exposed brick
adding 10ft sliding door off the back that will have a patio with pergola

hope to be in by july 1

Juggernaut

Master of the Metaphor
You're nuts! But in a good way. :)

You know the pro's.
You know the Con's.

You've got real world contractor experience at your disposal to hopefully minimize the costly mistakes.

You seem to be surrounded by people who give a damn.

These are certainly exciting times my friend.

BTW - Margaret looks beautiful.

Now, for some "*old man wisdom" for when things go a little sideways... it's life, they always do at some point.....

(*Cuz I'm old and a smart-ass)

"audentes Fortuna iuvat" - Fortune favors the bold.

And

God helps those who helps themselves. ~Benjamin Franklin (he actually lifted that one)

No? How bout this...

"Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” ~ Albert Einstein

Ok, a little vague. Sheesh.

how bout....

"If you can’t fly then run, if you can’t run then walk, if you can’t walk then crawl, but whatever you do you have to keep moving forward.” ~ Martin Luther King Jr.

Still no?!?!?
Shit.
Now I've got to pull out my own personal credo...

I was saving that one... oh well.

"When the tides of life start changing....and the current, upsets your boat. Don't waste your time thinking..what might have been. Just get on your back and float." ~ Ed Norton (The Honeymooners)

RobW

You're nuts! But in a good way. :)

You know the pro's.
You know the Con's.

You've got real world contractor experience at your disposal to hopefully minimize the costly mistakes.

You seem to be surrounded by people who give a damn.

These are certainly exciting times my friend.

BTW - Margaret looks beautiful.

Now, for some "*old man wisdom" for when things go a little sideways... it's life, they always do at some point.....

(*Cuz I'm old and a smart-ass)

"audentes Fortuna iuvat" - Fortune favors the bold.

And

God helps those who helps themselves. ~Benjamin Franklin (he actually lifted that one)

No? How bout this...

"Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” ~ Albert Einstein

Ok, a little vague. Sheesh.

how bout....

"If you can’t fly then run, if you can’t run then walk, if you can’t walk then crawl, but whatever you do you have to keep moving forward.” ~ Martin Luther King Jr.

Still no?!?!?
Shit.
Now I've got to pull out my own personal credo...

I was saving that one... oh well.

"When the tides of life start changing....and the current, upsets your boat. Don't waste your time thinking..what might have been. Just get on your back and float." ~ Ed Norton (The Honeymooners)
thank you!!
here is one I will always remember-- sometimes you just have to act like a duck- water just rolls off their backs -- my ex father in law

on the real though, we have an amazing supportive and positive group of people in our corner cheering us on. we are truly going all in for this. the last 8 months of my life has been so exciting and filled with nothing but positive vibes. I am very fortunate and thankful for how life has played out.

RobW

Good Luck Cuz!

I think its fair to say I can borrow your bikes because ALL your freetime for the next 5 years is accounted for... if you need to take a brake and get some dirt therapy, you know how to reach me.

Oh, and since you did the complete opposite of my advice, at least take this one... get a fresh tetanus shot before you decide to christen all the rooms.

Seriously - I saw the FB post from the reveal party.. A boy... WOW... thats awesome
haha- I plan on getting all possible shots- also, I changed work start time to accommodate some riding time-

as if our family needs another boy but its going to be a ton of fun! glad I was there when the boys were younger and I realize this is going to be the best time of my life... life is good!

JimN

Captain Wildcat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
If you build a man a fire, he'll be warm for one night. But if you set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Also, if the house thing doesn't work out, I've got $20 and a book of matches.

ChrisRU

Congrats on the house and baby! Best of luck with both!

Looking forward to following along, that's a project for sure.

Top Bottom