The Grand Ave Project

rlb

I always try to tell my wife that no matter what you do the kid is going to eat dirt and drink toilet water when you're not looking in a few years. But apparently if you don't do everything right, even before he's born, the kid is going to be a loser and never get into college.

I'm bathing my kid in the toilet as we speak, need to get that immune system boosted.

RobW

I like the door selection, definitely easier to paint than those dumb 6 panel doors (20+ in my house). Looking forward to seeing pics of everything coming together.
I really don't care for doors that have curved lines or beveled edges. I am the same way about window trim and floor molding... I am imagining a 6"-8" flat molding throughout the house... the cabinets were given to us, so they aren't shaker style but are really nice. we do have to paint them though as we don't want the wood look.... Navy blue seems to be the consensus for that which will look really sharp with the marble counters and stainless appliances.

jnos

I really don't care for doors that have curved lines or beveled edges. I am the same way about window trim and floor molding... I am imagining a 6"-8" flat molding throughout the house... the cabinets were given to us, so they aren't shaker style but are really nice. we do have to paint them though as we don't want the wood look.... Navy blue seems to be the consensus for that which will look really sharp with the marble counters and stainless appliances.

Just replaced all the doors and trim in my house. Doors were very similar to yours (3 panel craftsman --> http://publications.reeb.com/catalogs/flush-and-molded/files/assets/basic-html/page27.html).

Baseboard is 1x8 ripped to 6" (to match hydronic baseboard height) with a 3/16" round over to break the edge. General concept was stolen from Windsor One, which I would have bought if it was easily available in NJ (https://windsorone.com/products/moldings/classical-craftsman/)

RobW

@jnos these are reeb doors- I love the craftsman look to them. Thanks for the link on molding, classical craftsman is just how I want it

rlb

Good on you for thinking it through and having a plan. I like the Craftsman style. If I ever do another big reno or build a house for myself that will be the look.

I've replaced every piece of molding in this house (with exception of a few windows). I started with the colonial style because that's what was easily available and reasonably priced, so that's what I kept on going with. Also when I stared I had no idea I'd be doing the rest of the house within the next few years. I can live with it!

RobW

Good on you for thinking it through and having a plan. I like the Craftsman style. If I ever do another big reno or build a house for myself that will be the look.

I've replaced every piece of molding in this house (with exception of a few windows). I started with the colonial style because that's what was easily available and reasonably priced, so that's what I kept on going with. Also when I stared I had no idea I'd be doing the rest of the house within the next few years. I can live with it!
I blame pinterest..... yes.... F'n Pinterest! I normally would of just went along with what was easy and available as well. Since I don't know how to frame or do much of the construction side of this renovation, I am in the manual labor mode like a donkey and cleaning/organizing and paying attention to detail is what my role is thus far.... its like being on the set of This Old House.

Reactions: rlb

Juggernaut

Master of the Metaphor
So.... I was thinking about this thread a couple weeks ago and couldn't for the life of me remember the damn name. Ok, not the first time I forgot something, no biggie...I'll just search words I know would be in it. Squat! WTF? Now I can't even search right.:oops:

Now, a reasonable person would just ask you. Do I ask? No. I just stew for a few minutes...and go back to surfing Bushcraft videos on YouTube.o_O

Fast forward ....so I'm reading @rlb's updates and saw your comments. Ok, I'll give searching another shot. Poof! Pops right up.

Again, WTF?!? Whatever...

If I trust myself at all this AM, this should be the final countdown; on both fronts.

How 's it going?

Reactions: rlb

RobW

So.... I was thinking about this thread a couple weeks ago and couldn't for the life of me remember the damn name. Ok, not the first time I forgot something, no biggie...I'll just search words I know would be in it. Squat! WTF? Now I can't even search right.:oops:

Now, a reasonable person would just ask you. Do I ask? No. I just stew for a few minutes...and go back to surfing Bushcraft videos on YouTube.o_O

Fast forward ....so I'm reading @rlb's updates and saw your comments. Ok, I'll give searching another shot. Poof! Pops right up.

Again, WTF?!? Whatever...

If I trust myself at all this AM, this should be the final countdown; on both fronts.

How 's it going?
there were some turn of events that I felt I wanted to share here but I didn't want to rustle feathers if the wrong eyes read as this is a public forum and anyone can read... now back to the fun stuff...well, partially fun... but more of the long evenings into nights, doing random shit to keep the project going... like, hey! clean up the dumpster so we can get the sheetrock in.... which I reluctantly did knowing we wouldn't have enough room... and then I send the picture and the response was... good job, but not enough room, we will need another dumpster(which I knew we would- or so I thought)...:mad:, long story short... the sheetrock fit and the dumpster was removed.... then there were more days of frustration because of communication issues, not so much on my part at all. I ended up calling my mom to bitch to her one Wednesday afternoon about how much work needs to get done, without a hitch she said "I'm packing dads shit, he'll be there Friday. Ya Gotta love mom and pops for their efforts in keeping my sanity.

Dad shows up and we bang out the side porch decking and rear landing decking. He then started trimming the big tree in the back as I began to prep the bathroom floor for tile. So!.... tiling... a lot of work and the results are grand.... since the sub flooring wasn't even, to help keep the costs down, I had to do it the old fashioned way, which was not with durock sheets... I first layed felt paper, then wire sheets (cut to fit) then nail that down, then run a skim coat of mortar/stucco mix on top. I had to let that dry before laying tiles.... I had an idea of what I was doing as I have watched plenty of "how to's" and plenty of DIY shows. I layed out my tiles and got all my cuts done.. time for thin-set! boom, got that done.... then ran out of time after work and felt i needed daylight and sleep to finish... i end up taking a half day of work the next day to complete the tile...tile looks awesome... and then to the grout... we decide that light gray would look great... but we need to mix a few different bags to get that light gray...so I mix pewter and antique white together which turned out to be too dark. I decided to run back to the shop and get pure white to add to it because the antique white was just turning it creamy gray. Mixed the white in and PERFECTO! layed down the grout and it looks awesome....

this is all i have time to vomit from my memory... ill add some pics shortly.

RobW

IMG_7753.JPG
IMG_7762.JPG
IMG_5991.JPG
ABD65219-CC23-4996-82B0-B2F485DE9443.jpg
8E04E5A1-06C0-47E7-9371-57C341580CF5.jpg
IMG_6017.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_6054.JPG
    IMG_6054.JPG
    63.9 KB · Views: 134

RobW

I think the search is funny sometimes, or maybe it's my brain?

@Flaubert Looking good, I like the tile. And the kitchen blueprints. The headaches will be worth it in hindsight.
I would have Paid big money for those blueprints...but, I know a guy

RobW

This pic sums up the entertainment yesterday as we painted all day... needless to say... anyone know how to do siding and can squeeze in two walls before the 15th??
IMG_6059.JPG

Last edited:

RobW

There was also work done with the AC duct work that I had my dad work on through my instructions while I was at work. We added two returns between the walls for the chimney. One upstairs and one down. The existing return was insufficient.. we turned that into a supply and utilized the hole in return plenum for the downstairs return. Upstairs return was ran to opposite side..we also had to tap into the supply trunk to add two supply ducts for kitchen and powder room. i only have before pics at the moment... but the AC works great and still have to work through some issues like sweating ducts and lack of flow upstairs in two ducts... need to snake them to see if there is blockage. Other than that.... we painted all day yesterday. The baby's room is done, the master still needs one coat on the baseboard. Kitchen, powder room and laundry walls are done. Dining and living room have one coat each. We will hit that this coming weekend along with two coats on the trim/baseboard. Flooring is getting finished today and tomorrow so hopefully the steps and railings on the side and rear entrances get completed today. Wednesday the temporary kitchen is being installed along with appliance delivery. We also need to get the stair railing installed with the original nole post..oh and yea, electrician is coming too to install all outlets and lights. Thursday is our final inspection so that's a good thing... then we need our CO inspection and that should go without a hitch... fingers crossed and spirits high!

Margaret is feeling great and we are looking forward to RJ3 coming into the world and bringing him home! Last night I said to her that this house was all for him... all the headaches and lack of sleep are just things to prepare us for life as parents...

Top Bottom