Ships Log: Fat Aircraft carrier war games

I'll have no fear of driving it, it's insured... I mean I'm terrified of getting into an accident with it bc it's a death trap of the highest order, but its too much fun not to drive.

I'll have no fear of driving it, it's insured... I mean I'm terrified of getting into an accident with it bc it's a death trap of the highest order, but its too much fun not to drive.

are you going qq, street rod, or standard registration - ??

Well its been a little while...ok, a long while. But its done, painted, home. I never thought this day would come. I was thinking the other day about how long its been since I wanted to restore this car and I was able to narrow it down to pretty much the day....I remember it well actually. I cant remember the exact date, but in July of 1989 my dad and I packed up everything we owned (except the mustang) into the biggest Uhaul we could rent....Towing my dads 1970 bronco on a trailer, then being followed by his friend driving his ranger pick up that was carrying his ZX-10 Ninja and LTD-750 Kawasakis.....4 days to get to utah going like 65mph max speed. Fuck that trip was awful.
02-20-2008-18-14-27-408.jpg

02-20-2008-18-13-16-226.jpg

So in one of the rest areas we stop at I notice some Mustang magazine...I bought a couple and spent probably most of Ohio and Indiana reading about restorations and concourse restorations....seeing how perfect some of these cars were and realizing how crappy the paint was on my dads car. I think I spent all of Wyoming trying to talk my dad into repainting the car....He thought I was totally nuts bc to him, he just painted the car....Albeit about 15 years earlier. I persisted with him over the years, but he didnt want to take the car apart. Then later on we restored a 64 galaxie and then a 69 Ranchero so it got put off. Then my father died and the car went to me....took 2 years to get the car back to NJ....I wanted to get it painted as soon as I got it back, but there was no way I could make it happen. I settled for getting it running and driving it around. So for something like 30 years I have been thinking about getting this done.

So finally got to pick it up yesterday....first time seeing the paint outside, although no sun. Really shocking to see after nearly 30 years of thinking about it.
001.jpg

004.jpg

Step 1....Put car up on the lift and out of bob reach

031.jpg

I noticed this last night....I tried doing this on the wife's subaru but it didnt work :) @fidodie the plates you were asking about.

021.jpg

with the flash

022.jpg

So it was great day...as always a little bittersweet....as with most things in the past 28 years, I just have to imagine my Dad would have been very happy. However, if he was still alive, none of this would have happened...He would have never let me touch the car, and he would think i was off my rocker to spend more than $1000 on a paint job...His idea of looked good and mine were bit different.

Now to start tearing it all apart, stay tuned.

I'm jelly. So nice. I just hope we still get to see you riding bikes in the next 7 years. One day I will do this to a 1993 R32 GTR.

Too bad u don't have 70 Bronco too. I dig the xc ski uhaul graphic.
Kills me...you know that bronco came with a gas station my dad bought....it was the plow vehicle....It had about 20,000 original miles on it as it really never went anywhere. But the floors were SHOT and it was rusted out pretty bad. When we got to utah, the guy who built our house offered my dad like $2000 for it and he thought that was bonkers...so he sold it about 2 days after we got to utah.

We MAY have made a couple of jokes about the XC skiers on the side of the truck at the time.

So after this trek to utah with the uhaul, all of our stuff, the bronco, the ranger, my dads two motorcycles, my KX-80 and our 4wheeler in the uhaul....We still had to get the Mustang...So we flew back to NJ and drove it back to Utah. Took the car out of the garage, put new brakes on it, cleaned it up....Parked it on the lawn and took this picture...I cannot explain why im wearing a bears shirt in this picture bc I hated the bears. Probably bc in typical fashion my dad packs like nothing.....I do remember someone gave me that shirt and i never wore it, so why im wearing it here I cant explain.

67 gt 1989.jpeg

Yes the mustang looks beautiful and interesting stories. I'm in Utah right now, first time. Looking forward to checking out the mountains and desert, and the track attack school of course.
oh nice...take a drive theu emigration canyon if you get the chance....if you get up to park city, go take one of your selfies in front of my old house :)

$1.2 mill home now!
Ya that market went through the roof... In 89 my dad bought that lot for $48,000 and the house was around 130,000...I remember it being in the 180s total... Like 4500 sqft house. Once the Olympics came, that town went nuts...when I moved there it was tumbleweeds.

Lol, so my wife just walked into my office with her phone and said "Did you know Utah Joe has a Mustang?!?!?" and then she showed me pictures from your Instagram.

P.S. Melinda LOVES Mustangs. It's why our dog was named Shelby.

Thats awesome, I will pencil her in for a ride when its up and running.

So I got right to work last night....Step 1. Remove all of the suspension. This is two part. For the rear, im putting in a new center section with a posi, all new brake lines, converting to disc brakes. Axles need to go to a shop to get new bearings pressed on. All of this is much easier with the rear end out of the car. So I just unbolted it and rolled it out...the lift makes this just slightly easier :)

This highly sophisticated and complex rear suspension system of the 67 mustang....circa 1750.

20180731_184102.jpg

With the rear out, its going to be much easier to run all of my new brake and fuel lines.

20180731_184110.jpg

Then I ripped out all of the front driver side suspension, all of which I believe is totally original.

20180801_060729.jpg

The joy of spring compressors.

20180731_200059.jpg

Im also cleaning up the driveshaft, stripping the paint and making it look as it did when it came from the factory....well ill try, im not going nuts over it.

20180731_184136.jpg

I need to clean and paint everything behind the suspension...I wanted to leave this on for the guys at the shop to be able to move the car around, plus I didnt want overspray on my nice new stuff. most everything here will be replaced, what isnt, im going to have blasted and powder coated.

20180730_170812.jpg

When bob saw this he ran in to tell my wife that I broke the car

20180731_183259.jpg

one side done

20180731_215944.jpg

Good start, next is the other side, then the steering box.

Attachments

• 20180731_184119.jpg
    20180731_184119.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 99
man your wasting no time in getting this thing moving, cant wait to see the end result.

also (and i may have asked this before) which lift is that?

man your wasting no time in getting this thing moving, cant wait to see the end result.

also (and i may have asked this before) which lift is that?
Ya I want to get right to it....i have alot of parts already and tearing things off is the easy part. At this rate, the car will be driving in only like 2 more years ;)

lift is a bendpak md-6xp...pretty happy with it so far.

Back
Top Bottom