Ships Log: Fat Aircraft carrier war games

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
did you consider the maxjack? and if so why didnt you choose that over this one?

https://www.maxjaxusa.com

2 post lift makes getting out of the car suck.
base prep is also very expensive.

4 post is nice, esp drive on - use it to store a car up in the air. make a drip tray to fill the gaps, and park under it!
(assuming 10' ceilings!)

beauty of a scissor is portability. appropriate jack stands required.

---

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
did you consider the maxjack? and if so why didnt you choose that over this one?

https://www.maxjaxusa.com
I very much considered that one, but I didnt want to mount anything to my garage floor. I wanted to be able to move mine wherever in my garage if need be. And it doesnt go any higher than the one I got, so the main appeal was it being open underneath...which is nice, however...the scissor lift platform is really only in the middle section of the chassis...so its not really blocking a whole lot thats is important I felt anyway. With the mustang, it will make it harder to wheel a trans jack under the car to install the transmission....However after doing this 3 times laying in the dirt and bench pressing, im not all that worried about it. Im not buying a trans jack anyway. Once the mustang is back together...I just didnt picture myself using a lift a whole lot and I didnt want to park inside of it...Then unbolting it/moving it/resetting it up seemed like a pain if I wanted to do something like an oil change. I may TOTALLY prove myself wrong with this line of thinking, but I thought the scissor lift was the most simple/versatile solution for me. If you have a good permanent spot and dont mind the lift being there...and will also use it all the time...Definitely take that into consideration.

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's
i was thinking about that one because it solves the parking issue,and gives you enough height for most of what i would ever want to tackle on my own. If i had a good spot to leave it permanently id go for a full size 2 post (12k lbish) and leave it, i unfortunatley dont have room or ceiling height for that, which is why the quickjack caught my attention, and now im going to go take a look at this one that you have, maybe ill have to make time to invite myself over to check it out. My bigger concern with the straight drive over style is clearance, my car is low, and going to end up lower in the not too distant future and i really dont feel like damaging any of the platic bits driving over something.

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
My bigger concern with the straight drive over style is clearance
Yes this is definitely a concern if you are planning on driving over it all the time. With my focus, which is...I wouldnt say low? I guess average small car ground clearance....the pads JUST made contact with some of the cladding underneath, so i just threw the boards down. If I have drove the car over first, then put the pads on, it would have cleared fine. The mustang should clear it im thinking. Plus I would just remove the pads when im not using the lift which gives you an extra couple inches of clearance.

If I had a perfect permanent spot, I really like the idea of this one...flush mount.

http://www.bendpak.com/car-lifts/specialty-lifts/mds-6kf.aspx

Pearl

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING
So the last race I did this long was in 2015 when I did the first Stewart 45. 3.5hrs of everything and the kitchen sink pace until we died. @pearl used to try to talk me into doing endurance races by saying..."oh its fun, you just ride at this chill pace, chit chatting, etc...its fun!" This has never been my experience in any endurance race I have ever done. 5.5hrs of BS50 included....Everyone I have done goes like this.....Start at full xc pace....ride at 97% xc...bleed out of your eyeballs until all of your blood is gone....then do your best to limp your way across the finish line.

Like others have said before, this may be marketed as an endurance race, but the big boys can race 3 hours at XC pace. Hell, isn't this how the OG Cat 1 MTB XC races were? 3 hours and shit?

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
More updates....Broken parts addition.

I did mention in my Mooch recap how my Lefty wasnt not working correctly and I have been having all of these issues with it losing travel since last year. Well it went back to c'dale a couple of times, they fixed it free of charge and sent it back. Before the mooch race i was again down to 2in of travel. I know the reset process on the new leftys, its less work...No tools, just take the air out of it...move it up and down, re-air, done. Takes like 60 seconds. Or so I thought. One of the nice perks about buying bike from @jdog is that he never leaves me hanging with a problem and everything always gets worked out. And quite frankly, my leftys have been some of the most reliable pieces of bike equipment I own...My 2012 carbon lefty now has 13,000 miles on it...13,000! And thats with 180lb me riding it thru north jersey for 6 years. My 2012 supermax has over 7000mi now. In this case, after a couple of previous issues, Jay got me in touch with one of the C'dale techs. We spoke on the phone and he asked me how I was resetting the fork...I mean I have been resetting leftys for eions now, I figure I have it down. Well, turns out, with the newer leftys, you have to really bottom them out hard to properly reset them. Like way harder than I had thought. I run thru this process on the phone with him and bingo, fork is fixed in 1 min. At iron furnace, worked like a charm. So turns out I just cant hit things hard enough.

Also broken, my 3 month old KS lev dropper...went online, filled out form, mailed it to them....it came back rebuilt a week later, no charge...sweet, thanks!

I bought a fox shock to replace the monarch on my scalpel. This was an experiment. When I bought the scalpel, fox didnt make a metric shock so I bought a new/take off 7.5x2.0 float off ebay to try out. I actually called fox first and tried buying the correct shock, but they told me they didnt make it, sorry. So I picked this one up for pretty cheap...This thing....right out of the box...The 3 position lever doesn't work...set it to the middle, it hits a bump and automatically switches to lock position. So I sent to back to fox last week...Of course I know there will be no warranty for this even tho its basically new. Turns out for what its going to cost to fix it, more cost effective to buy a new shock...They gave me what i paid for the shock as a trade in....and now they do make the proper metric shock for this bike...hooray! So in the end, good resolution.

My point in making this post (and im only making it bc I opened the can of worms already when i mentioned my lefty was having issues) is that yes we all get fucking pissed when our shit breaks and I see some people RUN to the internet and start venting and bashing. In my experience, really isnt the way to get things resolved. Hold off, contact someone, tell them your issue...You might be pleasantly surprised.

JDurk

Still have volume spacers in air chamber of the Lefty 2.0? I removed them from mine because I was losing travel as well. Longer intervals between bearing resets now.

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
@JDurk That is a good question, im not sure.

So some other stuff going on....
Took bob for his first ride on dirt last night at the Tourne. Results were mixed...I was certain when he started riding over bumpy stuff it was going to throw him for a loop....When he was going, he was absolutely loving it...when we hit a small incline and the rocks caused him to stall out...he was shall we say...displeased with Fidel Castro like FURY. But despite the issues, he kept wanted to get back on and keep going...Then rode the last 5min without issue so we ended on a high note...which is all that really matters with a 4 year old attention span.
Screenshot_20180524-185533.png

In other news...the mustang's parts are all now blue. I stopped by yesterday to check everything out....im amazed at how close this color looks to the old blue. But just so better...so much smoother. I cant wait to see what it looks like after its been wet sanded and buffed out. To do this, they put everything on the car...fenders, doors, hood, trunk, etc...Next week im told. There are a number of bolts that get body paint and I didnt like the condition of them, so I ordered all new ones and that slowed things down a bit, but whatever.
IMG955680.jpg
IMG955681.jpg
IMG955895.jpg
IMG955909_01.jpg

JDurk

@JDurk That is a good question, im not sure.

This is what I took out of my 2.0. Has made the fork action very linear. Doesn't seem to ramp up into the travel. I was running as low as 130psi with the volume spacers in and still couldn't bottom out. Using 150-155psi now and bottom out a every now and then. Still have to do a bearing reset occasionally.

IMG_20160618_163605279resize.jpg

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
This is what I took out of my 2.0. Has made the fork action very linear. Doesn't seem to ramp up into the travel. I was running as low as 130psi with the volume spacers in and still couldn't bottom out. Using 150-155psi now and bottom out a every now and then. Still have to do a bearing reset occasionally.

Can I ask your weight? I'm assuming you have a newer fork (I have an older lefty) and I've considered removing an air spacer to see how it feels, but I rather like the current setup. Although that may change if/when I change my fork from a 100mm to 120mm at the next service.

Utah, are you like the parents who get their kids a Facebook account with the intention of turning it over to them when they're old enough, except with Strava?

If you have plans for Robert to be a world class bicycle star, I would suggest skiing and track/cross country.

JDurk

Can I ask your weight? I'm assuming you have a newer fork (I have an older lefty) and I've considered removing an air spacer to see how it feels, but I rather like the current setup. Although that may change if/when I change my fork from a 100mm to 120mm at the next service.

'16 Lefty 2.0 and my current weight varies around 230-240lbs. Using the owners manual chart, recommended fork pressure seems to be approximately 66% of body weight. So that's how I came up with 150-155psi.

Didn't know that a Lefty could change from 100 to 120. On an older bike, I had an '08 Lefty 29 that's a 110mm(26") with three 10mm travel limiting spacers to get to 80mm. I removed one for 90mm and had plenty of tire clearance.

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
'16 Lefty 2.0 and my current weight varies around 230-240lbs. Using the owners manual chart, recommended fork pressure seems to be approximately 66% of body weight. So that's how I came up with 150-155psi.

Didn't know that a Lefty could change from 100 to 120. On an older bike, I had an '08 Lefty 29 that's a 110mm(26") with three 10mm travel limiting spacers to get to 80mm. I removed one for 90mm and had plenty of tire clearance.

The last ones of the Lefties with the boots can be adjusted. Mine is a 90, with removed spacer making it 100. However, internally it's really a 120mm fork with the spacers. A 140mm fork is exactly the same with the exception there's ANOTHER spacer that can be cut down or replaced with the shorter one from the 140mm fork.

Mendon said he would do it at no charge when servicing the fork. Raises the axle-to-crown by 20mm also.

Top Bottom