Ships Log: Fat Aircraft carrier war games

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
And we’re back.
Since there seems to be a blogging vacuum on this site, I figured I would continue to do my best and pass along some of my completely worthless life experiences. Its been a few months since I last brought you into my boring world. In that time I have been officially reclassified due to mass consumption of Mexican food, chocolate chips and marshmallows.

My new classification is CVN – (Carrier Vessel Nuclear) I’ll explain later, but first my stats as they are impressive.

Name: Utah
Namesake: um the state
Builder: Parents
Laid down: gross, I like to think I was made in a test tube
Launched: 17 October 1976
In service: 34 years
Homeport: Rockaway naval base
General characteristics
Class: aircraft carrier
Displacement: 100,000 tons
Length: Overall: 5’9”
Beam (wasteline): Overall: 252 ft
Draft: 5’9” (I sink like a concrete block)

Propulsion:
2 × WestinghouseA4W nuclear reactor legs

331w FTP
Speed:
30+ knots
Range:
Limited only by water and clif bar carrying capacity

On board I have acquired some new equipment in offensive arsenal in December
2008 Tarmac pro: I don’t have a pic of it yet, but it looks like this with different wheels and more carbon this and that
Specialized_Tarmac_Pro_Gold.jpg

From the Vreeland Navy, I picked up this 2011 Specialized Crux
64007_1636002221893_1291834825_1790102_5031161_n.jpg

And last but not least, the most powerful of my new weapons
Mavic open pro with a powertap.
large-mavic-open-pro-powertap-pro-n.jpg

With these new items for 2011 I plan on invading the road and crit racing scene, racing the b’s in cross and of course continuing on getting stomped like a naked fat guy in cat 1 xc.
So for starters with the new powertap hub I have finally gotten around to performing an FTP test. The results of which revised my classification from oversized human, to aircraft carrier. Im going to just assume that everyone who has not tuned out by now knows what an FTP test is from reading norm’s blog, so ill spare you the boring explanation..

Anyway the results of my 20min test: 349w x 95% = 331w

As im told, this is a good number. The silver lining of course is that much like an aircraft carrier, my shear bulk prevents jet ski like performance. On the morning I did the test I weighed in at 198lbs unfueled. About +8 from cross season, about -12 from this date last year. This brings me to my goal for 2011. Maintain or increase power and get lighter. I know that sounds like the exact same thing that everyone who has ever bought a bicycle for recreation wants to do… However, I own a power meter now so I have to speak in a more serious manner. You understand im sure. Not sure what my goal weight is. Last year I hit 185 a few times and that was 7lbs lighter than I had ever been in my adult life. Would be nice to get to 180 or less. To help with this im now counting calories . This blows, but it does in fact work. Luke turned me onto my fitness pal and I find that it’s the most convenient of the programs I have tried.

Riding? Well mainly trainer, or rollers, or rollers then trainer, then maybe a spin class, then rollers, then we finally get to the weekend and I can get outside in the daylight hours. Nothing too exciting. Mountain bike on the road for extended periods of time. This past weekend for example:
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/69288633
Rockaway to patriots path to lewis morris. Lap of the race course then home. 4hrs total.

There should be more rides like this to come, but I think thats enough for the first post. I leave you with cute pictures of my now 50lb puppy for that warm and cuddly feeling. Who doesnt love puppies?
167196_1832116930819_1477271490_2654095_6106815_n.jpg

185831_1852393597723_1477271490_2688906_6030004_n.jpg

Last edited:

BiknBen

Anyway the results of my 20min test: 349w x 95% = 331w

As im told, this is a good number. The silver lining of course is that much like an aircraft carrier, my shear bulk prevents jet ski like performance. On the morning I did the test I weighed in at 198lbs unfueled.

Joe,
I realize that you understand this but I'll expand on it to help others who may not be familiar with power based training. The mass of the rider influences the power numbers dramatically. When you stand up on the pedals, you push down and generate a force on the pedals. At the same time, gravity is pulling your entire body down and generating a force as well. The bigger the rider, the greater the contribution of gravity. Therefore a bigger rider produces more watts.

The number of watts is only part of the equation. To compare two athletes, you have to consider their mass. This is done by calculation their Watts per Kilogram. Your 331 number is impressive for someone at your level. As you mentioned, it is time to address the other part of the equation.

To take it to the next level, I'll offer my numbers. My last test produced a result of 278 watts at a mass of 155 lbs. Everyone run for your calculators :rolleyes:. Joe's W/Kg is 3.68. My number is 3.95.

Does that mean that I am faster. The answer to so many of these types of questions is, "It depends!". On a flat road, the influence of gravity is lessened. Aerodynamics plays a much larger role. It is known that the difference in drag between a 200 lb rider and a 150 lb rider is relatively small. So on a flat road, Joe will put a hurtin on me but I can sit in his draft in order to keep up.

Conversely, on an incline, gravity plays a huge role while aerodynamics is lessened. Joe will likely only be able to watch me pedal away up the climb.

Soooo...Congrats to Joe for enduring the test and producing a solid result. Now work on reducing that aircraft carrier frame to speed boat. In the mean time, register for all the flat races and kill-em.

If you guys like this, maybe I'll expand and explain how the 20-minute test falls short.

Last edited:

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Thank you for posting that Ben, I didnt want to get too deep into all of that for my first post, but that's really the important information.

I should add that the purpose of me doing this test is part "how much power do I make" in order to set a baseline and track improvements. But also to establish my power zones for doing things such as tempo rides, etc.

I think that is the ugliest road bike in all of the seas

It is god awful ugly. Best way I can describe it is that it looks like a rappers bathroom. Lucky for me, I dont care how anything looks.

liong71er

hey,joe.
how's going?
very intresting thread and title.
me like it a lot,different than the most.
i suppose your not secretly building up a "nuke" to destroy "SSworld"
aren't you??
coz that would be the end of "my" world.if you do..:D

keep it up,,so i can steal a thing or two from your thread!!

kush

Joe,
If you guys like this, maybe I'll expand and explain how the 20-minute test falls short.

I do wonder a lot about the 20 minute FTP test. On the one hand, it seems like it would be a good predictor of ... well, how well you would do in 20 minute intervals.

And likely people have different anaerobic capacities, where 95% for one may be 90% for another or 98% for yet another. For instance, using your power as an example, let's say that your anaerobic capacity isn't as good as the average, and you should be using 90%. That's a 15 watt range of error on your FTP. It seems significant, but is it really meaningful to your training program? You are not really off when it comes to intervals work ... probably the upper end of your tempo and endurance ranges are going to feel harder than they should by a bit over the longer rides, but I don't know if it really is meaningful?

I guess if the 20min test is used as a starting point, and used consistently to manage your training, it probably is as effective as anything else. (or close enough)

This is a good topic though. I'm into it.

PS, if a rider stays seated through the entire 20 mins (I know I do), does weight really still play a factor?

Hi Joe!

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Ben, I would be interested in reading it for sure.

Ilya makes some great points. Perhaps I can make decent power for 20min and the rate at which I drop off is worse than say someone like Ben who has less useless bulk to haul around for hours? I mean there have been times (2009 DH40 is one I recall) where I have ridden to what I felt was near death. At the 09 DH40 I was so happy that I had my lighter hardtail since it was 3 less pounds to carry around and 3lbs on me is like a haircut.

Anyway, so what does liposuction cost? And who wants utah bacon?

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
If someone told me Norm and Utah were going to start a blog today, I would not have guessed this is where W/Kg and aerodynamics were going to be discussed. Then again...:hmmm:

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I gave you W and lb. I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt that you guys can divide after you convert to kg :)

BiknBen

hit it. i'm all eyes.

I do wonder a lot about the 20 minute FTP test...

The issue I have with functional threshold power is that it is a function of the duration of the test. Determining 20-minute power doesn't mean crap if you are training for a 2+ hour event.

The value of the 20 minute test is only to track progress. Using that value as a basis for training is where I begin to shake my head. Many people have begun training to improve the result in that test. Instead, that number should be the result of training for your specific event(s). I'm not working my butt off to get a better test result. I want a better race result.

Another issue I have is a little more personal. I am not a strong, powerful guy. Through years of experience, I know that I can hold a 100% effort for only a short period of time relative to others. Basically, when I am forced to my maximum, I'm going to slow down sooner than some other riders. OTOH, I can hold an 80% effort all friggin day. My results in the 20 minute test look sub-par. I'm curious how I would fair in a two-hour test. Anybody want to give that one a try. ;)

Historically, a gold standard test was 60 minutes or a 40km TT. Then it became a 30 minute test. Now, Hunter Allen says it can be 20 minutes. That puts me at a greater and greater disadvantage. Phoey!

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
This thread has a start of thread to geek talk ratio that is off the charts. I better start posting again to bring back the balance. However, pearls thread is active, so that may be enough.

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
hey,joe.
how's going?
very intresting thread and title.
me like it a lot,different than the most.
i suppose your not secretly building up a "nuke" to destroy "SSworld"
aren't you??
coz that would be the end of "my" world.if you do..:D

keep it up,,so i can steal a thing or two from your thread!!

Hey buddy, looking forward to riding with you again soon. Dont worry, I dont think you will be seeing me at too many races on my SS. I have one, I like riding it, racing it is another story. For racing, I prefer gears.

So speaking of boring people with numbers, this is my ride on the rollers tonight. Please dont click on it, you will die, its that mundane. 1hr on the rollers, light pace. Just wasnt feeling it tonight. Past 3 days I have -600, -1100 and about another -1000+ calories today. Felt a bit tired which is murder for indoor riding. Thankfully I had top gear to distract me http://connect.garmin.com/activity/69826089

After that I had to run to petsmart and get some more food for the mutt. I love this, since its the only store I know of that allows you to bring your dog. I think if I was single I would just take Elsa to different petsmarts..I have met more girls this way then I ever have at a bar.

She loves chicken
185661_1855806403041_1477271490_2693720_989674_n.jpg

BiknBen

This thread has a start of thread to geek talk ratio that is off the charts. I better start posting again to bring back the balance. However, pearls thread is active, so that may be enough.

Don't worry. I'll quickly grow tired of the silliness and leave.

kimrey

CVN? I was thinking more of a refugee boat carrying Oreos and Tejas tortilla chips to some better place.
:)

Elsa looks awfully interested in birds, I'll have to bring Chloe for a playdate sometime. See if she cowers and pisses the floor like many dogs do when they hear the mighty Cockatoo scream.

bonefishjake

Strong like bull, smart like tractor
Team MTBNJ Halter's
what happened to just having a blog and writing down the stuff you did in it? all these silly names.

hi utah!

and this sux b/c now i want a power meter. i'll add that to the list.

Top Bottom