Ramblings from Moe Mountain

Hey........I didn't shelve it, I just needed to ride the Fatty for a while to regain my sanity!
I still gotta ride the Softride the rest of this month, but I do it early AM, so's as not to be seen by anyone.

Beauty and the beast.
Softys 18th05.jpg

Double Pond trail maintenance needed just outside of the camp ground.

Softys 18th06.jpg

Well here I am at day 24 of the Johnny Utah September challenge.
I've been able to ride every day so far and it has been a real experience on my Softride bike.
I feel like a guy that never rode a bike before! My Fat Bike is sooooo much easier.
I have been learning a lot about this bike that I never would have if it wasn't for this challenge.
I thought I'd post up some more photos of my daily rides.

This is the Twin Bridges trail, it runs off Red Dot by the camp ground area and goes to Cherry Ridge Rd. about 2 miles.
sep24_02.jpg

This is Black Eagle trail, a tight little single track off William Hoeferlin trail
soft09.jpg

The beach, this bike ain't no beach rider!
soft8th2.jpg

Wingdam trail, through the laurels.
Softy wingdam03.jpg

The beginning of Pumphouse trail

Softys 15th01.jpg

The middle of Pumphouse trail, over the stream
Softys Pumpuouse03.jpg

Now I'm hoping to make it through the remainder of the month.

I just thought I'd repost this on my blog for those that haven't followed Johnny Utahs Sept. challenge.

Thanks for the challenge, it was great fun to try for every day. But I can’t ride on the last day of the challenge. back in July I took that challenge and I managed to do 19 days in a row, then the obstacle! The spine surgery I needed became available to me on the 19th of July and I had to go with it and drop out. Now I’m in for the September challenge and again a problem.
Since the July surgery I have still been in pain with no improvement, that surgery did nothing to relieve my pain. I’ve not been able to walk more than fifty feet without taking a break. But strangely enough I HAVE been able to ride my bike regularly. It must be the position. But since my first operation even bike riding is getting harder to do. I’ve been seeing my surgeon for the last six weeks or so trying to figure out why I have no improvement. After another MRI and a nerve test we see the problem, my nerve is still pinched behind a spinal bone that was not originally seen and I need another operation, this one is a little more invasive and will require at least a two day stay.
I was able to ride every day in September, right up to the day before surgery, but I’m scheduled for surgery at 7:30 AM, that shoots the day! So 29 days for me, done.
Kaleidopete.

Friday September 30 Got to Hospital at 5AM and was signed in and on the table by 7AM. They gave me the gas and out I went. Woke up mid afternoon and I had a lot of pain. I was shown the button for my Morphine drip, which I hit repeatedly. The nurse noticed my panic on the button and said “that’s not giving you relief, huh?” Then she shot me up with a big hypo of the stuff and I finally got my relief.
Real nice hospital, clean, good workers, good food and overall great care. What I wasn’t ready for was the Gout in both my knees and left foot and ankle. This is caused by the trauma of surgery and was more painful than the back surgery. They ran out of the time they can keep me and had to release me. So I had to go to Milford Manor rehab center on Monday night. A real dump, with very friendly help. At this point I still couldn’t lift my legs or walk at all. My knees were still so swollen I couldn’t bend them more than 6 niches which made it hard to sit in a chair, unless done very slowly, then they would bend further. Food tastes like crap and makes me nauseous just to think about it. I spent Monday night, Tuesday, and Wednesday I knew I had to get out. They were getting my drugs wrong and weren't doing a good job. My friend picked me up and got me home Wednesday afternoon Oct. 5th. I’m still nauseous, my knees are slowly going down and overall I’m feeling a lot better. I’ve got diarrhea. I really just want to rest for a while, this was a rough one.
Thursday 6th, I’m really tired and sore. My knees are going down slowly and my back sores, that I got from an allergic reaction to the bandages, are healing slowly my nauseous is still strong as ever. I don’t want to eat again, but I’m hungry damnit. Diarrhea is hanging on, don’t trust a fart!
Friday 7th. I rode my bike around local streets today, .5 mile a real chore, I’ve no power or stamina, but it felt good to pedal a little.
Sunday 9th. was my first real day out. Went to Jungle Habitat event and only stayed about two hours and saw some peeps and had a great time, trying no to overdue it though.
My Gout problem is hanging on and giving me very sore knees and muscles. My nights are getting better with my Morphine pill to ease muscle spasms and crazy nerve happenings. The Sciatic problem is fixed, thank god! They say the nerves will take time to adjust and calm down, could be months, could be weeks, time will tell. I only take the pain pill when really needed, maybe once every two or three days.
Monday 10th and I’m starting to feel a lot better. Still I realize I’ve got to take it easy. The surgery is rather delicate, with some bone removal and new brackets and pins installed for support. No twisting, no lifting, no bending! I’m not used to this crap, but I don’t want to mess things up now either. I started my rehabilitation walk today and did two miles. Just a little to much, but it was good to get out. I think tomorrow I’ll cut it back to a mile and a half. I’m afraid my blog will be kind of dead for a while as I recover.

It was supposed to be a small 1 inch scar. Everybody lies!
surgery23.jpg

Whoa crazy, lots of stuff happening there...hope you recover soon...why you even trying to touch a bike yet? Let that stuff heal first...do a proper recovery.

Hey Pete, great to see you yesterday, glad you were able to make it out.
(And thanks for the stickers!)

And not to worry about that incision, chicks dig scars.

Focus on healing, it sounds like you are making progress.
Don't worry about the blog, we'll be here when your ready for more adventures.

And take it easy on the morphine. I'll bring you some bottles of Prairie if it'll help. ;)

Glad to see you are on the mend. Take it easy though. I was shocked when you said you went for a bike ride around the hood. But, I'm not judging, as that might be something I would do...and then catch shit for. Anyway, sorry to hear about the other recovery issues you had to endure. Hope it keeps getting better each day!

Glad to see you are on the mend. Take it easy though. I was shocked when you said you went for a bike ride around the hood. But, I'm not judging, as that might be something I would do...and then catch shit for. Anyway, sorry to hear about the other recovery issues you had to endure. Hope it keeps getting better each day!
Thanks! I've got to dial it back a little and do less and recover slowly I'm finding out.

Never trust a fart. This quote really made me giggle and I am stealing it for sure.

Good to hear your healing up, be careful with getting ahead of yourself and getting on the bike too soon. That might only delay you getting back to what you love.

The morphine, that can go from pain relief to something else real quick. Taking only when absolutely needed is a good call on your part. I actually thought they did not even prescribe it anymore due to dependency issues.

Going through some old race stuff I came across the program for our dune buggy races from 1971.
I thought the rules were pretty funny and worth posting.

Motts1.jpg

Motts2.jpg

Back
Top Bottom