Ramblings from Moe Mountain

roc

Its a nice snowy morning, I got into the park early, before they closed it so they could plow.
It was barely ride-able, deep and wet and heavy snow. Some I could ride and some I gave up on.

7 AM sunrise.

View attachment 43706

Riding in the road
View attachment 43707

Un ride-able Black Eagle trail
View attachment 43708

Got to the furnace just fine
View attachment 43709

The road to the furnace
View attachment 43710
Bridge by furnace road
View attachment 43711

William Hoeferlin trail
View attachment 43712
Now I gotta rest!
How much snow did you get up there?

Kaleidopete

But.....I was back at it riding from light of day to darkness, a first for me. Rode the Moonlander.

Riding was hard and ya had to be careful not to wash out. I was really surprised,
even with the studded Dillinger 5 on the rear and the Snowshoe 2XL 5.25 on the front at 3 psi. I still had trouble. And the wind was so fierce I actually had to dismount for 50 feet at the lower part of the lake, because it was blowing me sideways in the snow and leaning into it didn't help anymore.

Snowy Nov moon06.jpg

Snowy Nov moon07.jpg

Last edited:

Kaleidopete

Thanksgiving ride with Team Town Cycle. It was a great group of riders that showed up for this ride.
I knew I wouldn’t be able to keep up, but I tagged along for the first half mile or so.
They took the high road (Little Bear), and I took the low road ( Wingdam), and we arrived at the dam at about the same time.
That’s where I went my way and they all went theirs.
Here are some photos.

TTC ThanksG03.jpg
TTC ThanksG02.jpg

TTC ThanksG04.jpg

TTC ThanksG05.jpg

TTC ThanksG06.jpg

TTC ThanksG07.jpg

Last edited:

Kaleidopete

Did a little trail maintenance on Wingdam trail today.
There was a pine tree down along with a smaller tree, right across the trail.
I rode in and used my hand saw to clear a path. A 45 minute ride and an hour TM.
This trail doesn't get a lot of bike traffic, but I happen to love this trail, so it's for me.
Could have been wider, but I pooped out, hey it's rideable,..... another day!

before
Wingdam pine.jpg

after
Wingdam clear07.jpg

Last edited:

Mildly Wild

Rode Dbl Pond, Plymouth Lane and Banker back to Dbl Pond T-Day afternoon. Lots of derailer killers out there. Cleaned up most. Fairly good conditions other than that.

Kaleidopete

Rode Dbl Pond, Plymouth Lane and Banker back to Dbl Pond T-Day afternoon. Lots of derailer killers out there. Cleaned up most. Fairly good conditions other than that.
Thanks, great to hear the trails are pretty good. That ride is a good workout! Plymouth is a great trail, big thanks to Black Bear Cycling for building it!

Kaleidopete

I did my usual five mile ride in Wawayanda today at 7AM, and then hung around to see the Cycle Cross race.
They had a GREAT turn out! It was only about 30° this morning. The announcer said the beach is nice and hard packed,
I yelled at him, no it ain't, it's frozen! Saw some familiar faces and I had a great time watching the racers and checking out
all the cool bikes.

WawaCross02.jpg

WawaCross05.jpg

WawaCross07.jpg

WawaCross10.jpg

A nice 15 LB bike!
WawaCross13.jpg

WawaCross14.jpg

Then I went to the Bar and had lunch and beer and hung out with the "other" bikers.

BAMC05.jpg

Now it's time for a nap.

Kaleidopete

Had a great ride this morning, 30° and two inches of heavy wet snow!
Trails were almost closed because of branches hanging down, I had to stop many times to work my way through them.
The snow was so slippery I rode like a drunkin' sailor! No falls, but a lot of dancin' around.
I also heard a few gun shots, it's bear hunting season. Sure to have my orange on.
I got my seven miles in and had the most fun I've had in a while!

The trail, almost closed.
7th snow1.jpg

Hunters truck tracts
7th snow2.jpg

Kaleidopete

A little more trail maintenance today, I took out the pine that was blocking Double Pond trail by the bridge.
It was a nice 28° day and I worked in just my base layer shirt and jeans.
Then I did a nice ride up Laurel Pond trail to Sitting Bear. Lots of ice and snow still.
Great being out on the trails alone at 7 AM, very quiet!

DoubPondPine06.jpg

DoubPondPine07.jpg

Kaleidopete

20° and ice and snow and sleet! Just rite for Fatbiking! So I got to Wawayanda a little early hoping they didn’t lock the gate because of the snow, but damn it they did! I have a special spot I can park across the street where the hunters park sometimes, but they have 4 wheel drive trucks and I have a Ford Fusion. I thought I’d give it a try anyway, what’s the worst that can happen, I get stuck in the snow.
Well I made it, barely, skidding and sliding, but I was in. I unloaded and rode the bike in and they never knew it! Right down the Hoeferlin trail, where I stopped and turned my headlight on, any earlier and I might have been spotted. My ride was going very well and was really nice with the snow falling and about 4 inches on the trails. Very slick snow though, even with my big Bud tire on front which is studded with Gripstuds and my rear Dillinger 5 studded . I guess the studs don’t help in the snow because they don’t have anything hard to grip against. I rode down to the furnace and up around the lake and across the beach. Now it started sleeting and my goggles fogged up. You can’t find a line in snow unless you can see perfectly! Ruts and shadows and rocks are hard to distinguish. Took the goggles off and the sleet was brutal. I was alternating between goggles and no goggles for the remainder of my ride. Towards the end the snow was getting a lot deeper and slipperyer. It was all I could do to ride on and hold it straight. I got my seven miles in and called it quits. What a great ride at 7AM.

Snow17th01.jpg

Snow17th02.jpg

Snow17th03.jpg

Snow17th04.jpg

Snow17th06.jpg

Kaleidopete

Wow...everything was iced over today! My Dillinger studded tires were getting a workout.
One problem riding is the ruts created by hunters trucks. It's hard to maintain a straight line while navigating these.
I was skidding on the ice, even with the studs, spinning the rear tire at times and having the front slide out too.
Nothing that caused me to fall, but it's a handful riding like this. I stopped to adjust my tire pressure too. I gotta say
it's no fun at 17°, I can't imagine what it's like in Alaska doing maintenance at sub zero weather.

Icy 19th07.jpg

Icy 19th08.jpg

Top Bottom