Lauf forks

I'm sold. I just started looking for a Niner fork a week ago but was I thinking about getting a 40mm rim and run a 3.0 tire on front to try to accomplish (or halfassing) the same thing (smoothing the small chatter of roots and things like that, getting a little bit of safety cushion if I eat something coming down fast). This is supposed to do that and a bit more. The only thing is that is so expensive! Somebody buy some of the things I have for sale :D

Hey Jeff, dibs when you want to sell yours :)

10424617_1490236004539634_1712190311_n.jpg

It is interesting concept but it looks weird...I can't understand why bike stuff is so expensive...

are most suspension forks asthetically pleasing? its a couple of tubes.

i think its a cool idea..its just way too cost prohibitive.

Ugly yes, Getting a pro deal on this, beautiful. They are sending me one of these to run on my bikes. Might be just what I need. I run the Niner Carbon now and when ever I use a suspension fork I break it because I leave it locked out all the time. This is just what the Dr. ordered

Ugly yes, Getting a pro deal on this, beautiful. They are sending me one of these to run on my bikes. Might be just what I need. I run the Niner Carbon now and when ever I use a suspension fork I break it because I leave it locked out all the time. This is just what the Dr. ordered

Then why not just run a rigid fork? Not ugly enough for you?

$1000 for an 60mm travel fork (or whatever that is) with rubber bands for springs and no real damping control? Buy a 1995 RockShox Q21R with the magnesium lowers for $50. Same weight, same damping, rubber springs, almost as ugly, but save $$$$.

Ignoring the forks aesthetics, looking forward to your "No Holds Barred" impressions.

Then why not just run a rigid fork? Not ugly enough for you?

$1000 for an 60mm travel fork (or whatever that is) with rubber bands for springs and no real damping control? Buy a 1995 RockShox Q21R with the magnesium lowers for $50. Same weight, same damping, rubber springs, almost as ugly, but save $$$$.
I run a rigid fork 99.9 % of the time. But for the long rough race's like the W101 I like a little help. But in those races I keep it locked out 80% of the time with just a bit of give. This ends up killing the fork.
I'm getting a Pro deal on this . Not$$$$
Ignoring the forks aesthetics, looking forward to your "No Holds Barred" impressions.
I will report back on this...

@Mitch, I was looking at some of the photos from the BS50 and I see you with the new fork.

Sooooooo, what-cha think?

It was certainly the proper venue for a torture test.....

@Mitch, I was looking at some of the photos from the BS50 and I see you with the new fork.

Sooooooo, what-cha think?

It was certainly the proper venue for a torture test.....
This fork rides like a chubby, it gets the job done but is not 100% satisfying.

So I took the fork for a test run at Allaire on Sat. No issues but I'm just not use to any suspension so it felt weird.. It is great on the roots, soaks them right up.. Many roots together you still bounce but it takes the edge off for sure. There is one drop in on Tiger that has about 20 ft of roots on a hill and turn. On the rigid fork my head just shakes and I hold on for tight hoping to get my vision back. When I hit that with this fork it was 50% better. Still chatter but I could see where I was going. .. Postive point for that..
Now how was it at Waway? It was good but some of the rock gardens were just too big for it. I will have to find a comfort zone on this. I could fly down stuff with out having to pick as clean a line as I would on the rigid fork but I have to not exceed a certain size rock or I would be in trouble. This fork rides like a chubby, it gets the job done but is not 100% satisfying..
Pro's :Better then rigid for the smaller rocks and root gardens. Soaks up all the small solo rocks and roots with ease. Lighter then full sus fork. Nice on small drop offs, no big thud landings like rigid has.
Cons: No lockout for climbing, has a little bobbing. Can lead to disaster if you forgets it's limits. You still need to avoid the big rocks and pick good lines.
I'm am sure once I get use to this I will enjoy it more and more.Like any new toy. It takes time.

this thing would suit me wonderfully.

I like running rigid as I love having a light front-end but, I have to admit, I like how a front squish fork takes the edge off. so I've been running with a front squish the last few months.

considering the places i ride (huber, hart, 6MR, allaire, LewMo) and the manner in which I ride (no 5-foot drops....that's for sure) a lightweight, minimal travel fork would be perfect for me.

but, at $900. just not gonna happen

I like running rigid as I love having a light front-end but, I have to admit, I like how a front squish fork takes the edge off. so I've been running with a front squish the last few months.

considering the places i ride (huber, hart, 6MR, allaire, LewMo) and the manner in which I ride (no 5-foot drops....that's for sure) a lightweight, minimal travel fork would be perfect for me.

Mark I could set you up with my contact and maybe he can run some numbers by you. I can not say for sure if he can help but he might..
@Mitch you should just get a Pro deal on a fat bike and be done with these silly contraptions :)
MitchyBFatty, sounds good...

I ride a 2.4 on front (SS rigid) most of the time at those places. I'm thinking about experimenting with a 27.5+ on the front. The Whisky 9 fork can fit a 29+. Would basically have the same outside diameter as the 29er with a 2.2 tire.

Back
Top Bottom