wildlife sighting

One day at Chimney Rock, I was nearing the top of the Red trail when a young buck was slowly walking his way down, occassionally stopping to eat. When I saw him, I got off my bike and watched him. He saw me, but proceeded walking down the trail, rounding the bend and heading right towards me. I walked cautiously with my bike next to me and wouldn't you know it, that buck walked right passed me on the single track as if we were two people on a sidewalk!? I could have slapped him on the ass!

Last Fall, while riding the Lehigh Gorge Scenic Trail, I almost ran over this fella. At first I thought it was a green pine cone, ya know, like not yet open. But I noticed it moving! I picked him up with a twig and placed him in a nearby tree before taking his picture. Turns out it is a very rare Cecropia moth, the largest species in North America. He was over 5 inches long! They seldom get that large because so many predators are waiting for them each time they molt. Pretty awesome score if you ask me!

Attachments

• caterpillar.jpg
    caterpillar.jpg
    281.8 KB · Views: 171
btw, what are you supposed to do if you see a bear? if it hasn't noticed you? if i has noticed you? if it starts coming at you?

:hysterica That was me yelling at Mike for a McLeod.

Totally off topic but I got a phone call from the Grand Exhaulted Wookie King of Allaire last night around 9:30. I always take Frank's calls, but last night (while sharing a quiet moment with my wife), we both just sat and listened to the ringtone

http://www.galaxyfaraway.com/Sounds/wookie.wav

and laughed. It was quite a funny moment, this being her first exposure to Frank's ringtone.

Some of the ones I have pics for...

ES-NEIK.jpg

Black Snake @ Blue in My Fav Trail
IMG_0908sized.jpg

Deer @ Blue in Monster Trail
P5100031.jpg

Salamander thingy @ KSVP
IMG_0859sized.jpg

Black Snake @ Blue in Stinger Trail
12_Gsized.jpg

Bear @ 2007 24HoA..I saw this as just after I got my picture taken, the photographer looked to the right and there it was, it was also right after my bathroom break not too far from there:eek: :scared:

Nice owl sighting mergs. They are so cool.

We have a pair of screech owls in our neighborhood. I think you and Vic heard them one night when you were over. They visited us a few times during late dinner outside. They are cute little guys, only about 6 inches ("that's what she says!"). I tried to get a picture, but they left too quick.

They look like this:

EasternScreechOwlBillWaller.jpg

I saw a rattle snake in Harriman at the end of the loop next to Anthony Wayne parking area. It was being harassed by a group of Japanese hikers that were throwing sticks at it. Snake was pissed. Big time. To top it off there was a huge bird of prey.... maybe a hawk.... that was watching the snake intently waiting for the hikers to scram so it could have the snake lunch.

Also had a black bear walk up on me in Allamuchy. It came withing 50 feet before stopping to check me out. Fortunately it just turned around and left me alone.

I've been noticing more "birds of prey" in suburban NJ the last few years. Just another testament to the impacts of suburban sprawl....

My girlfriend and I were on a road ride last fall and we were slowly cruising down a residential side street. I noticed a large lawn ornament shaped like some sort of bird. As I was thinking how realistic it looked, it took off w/ a squirrel in its talons. The thing was huge! It was a cool sight.

I saw a rattle snake in Harriman at the end of the loop next to Anthony Wayne parking area. It was being harassed by a group of Japanese hikers that were throwing sticks at it. Snake was pissed. Big time

Should have told them the rattle was a sign of happiness (like a cat's purring) and encouraged them to pet it. Sometimes you see the possibility of a Darwin moment on the cusp of becoming a reality...you just need to give it that little push :D

I've been noticing more "birds of prey" in suburban NJ the last few years. Just another testament to the impacts of suburban sprawl....

My girlfriend and I were on a road ride last fall and we were slowly cruising down a residential side street. I noticed a large lawn ornament shaped like some sort of bird. As I was thinking how realistic it looked, it took off w/ a squirrel in its talons. The thing was huge! It was a cool sight.

Without a doubt I see a lot of Hawks by me, there is also a family of eagles that from time to time show themselves by the resoivoirs. One day last summer I was driving by and there were all these cars parked on the side of the road and when I slowed down it was the pair on a dry "island" part when the water was low eating fish.

Saw an owl like the first photo in Allamuchy North. Thought it was funny because once we saw each other the owl pooped and then flew away.

Either poop or pellet, not sure.

Without a doubt I see a lot of Hawks by me, there is also a family of eagles that from time to time show themselves by the resoivoirs. One day last summer I was driving by and there were all these cars parked on the side of the road and when I slowed down it was the pair on a dry "island" part when the water was low eating fish.

That must be the Oradel eagle family. They've been in the news.

I've seen red tail hawks strike and eat pigeons and squirrels right in my own yard. Raptors seem to be coming back strong.

Doooooods, look at this! My buddy sent me this pic when he was out hiking near the Del. Water Gap. That's his cell phone on the ground to the left of the skid marks for reference.

Attachments

• Eagle Attack.jpg
    Eagle Attack.jpg
    183.8 KB · Views: 191
Doooooods, look at this! My buddy sent me this pic when he was out hiking near the Del. Water Gap. That's his cell phone on the ground to the left of the skid marks for reference.

now THAT is a cool photo.

...the only somewhat rarely seen wildlife Ive come across is a red fox at Hartshorne - saw it crossing the fire road about 3/4 of the way into the park.

other than that I've seen about 4000 deer and few cool, big birds.

4 Deer in MCP

Yesterday on our ride these guys were in the field between the path and the road over near the Tennis area. I know Deer are no big deal but this picture is not zoomed in at all. We were literally less than 100 feet from these guys and they stuck around.

Attachments

• deer1.jpg
    deer1.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 136
Back
Top Bottom