Why we ride...

Because when I ride I think about nothing else other than what is 25 feet in front of me...my head is completely clear. Oh...and I like being in the woods.

Started out as something I could do besides/instead of trail running for fitness that I could continue to do for decades (already north of 50). At first it was frustrating and difficult, but in time it became a challenge and now is also great fun. Plus as many have said love to be out in the woods.

Just off Mt. Pisgah near Asheville, NC. Absolutely spectacular riding.

-Jim.
I've done plenty of dirt but no road near there. Your shot just reminded me of a photo I have from Tanasi, TN.

IMG_2687s.jpg

This...

When I began riding as a kid, a bike provided a means to explore. Exploration and independence was all I needed. "Have bike...will travel!" What an incredible feeling for a young person.

As an adult, it is still exactly the same. "Where can I go on my bike today?" Makes me feel like a kid now too. ;)

and this!

I'm still married and many other people are still alive because I ride, it quiets the demons. ;)

And every now and then I like pushing the envelope just to get that feeling of adrenaline coursing through the veins. ...it's better than cocaine and legal! :D

Trying to keep the waist dimension down and to just have plain ole feel like a little kid fun.

Some will say it is a scouting mission to find burial sites...
I think it is to prevent that...

Rode my Vaya to work today and the first co-worker I saw asked me why I was smiling so much. I replied "I rode to work...that's all"

been thinking about this one.

it is always new. every time i get on a bike. it might be an improvement in speed or technique, or a pair of pheasants crossing the road. a new place, a new riding partner, cleaning a section for the first time, or failing a new way but 10' farther up the climb........there is always something.

sometimes i'm out looking for new, like the NYC run today. But it could be as simple as a pair of eyes staring at me from under a log, at 10pm in february....

the side effects are amazing...
get the weight/waist under control - which was the initiator
get a bit of fitness
meet some people
be a generally calmer person
spend less time on the internet (not that u can tell)
drink beer...oh, probably did that anyway.

go explore on your bike. bring someone along.

My hobby/recreation used to be working on cars/house. They were both expensive and didn't do much in a way of compensation for my lack of exercise at my desk job. Riding has been great because;
- I get reasonable exercise
- cant watch TV while riding
- I still get to solve math/physics problems while on the MTB
- I get to meet new people
- it toughens you up and hopefully prevent you from becoming a wimp (somehow when I'm on the bike I'm able to tolerate a much wider range of temperature than if I were just sitting in my living room)

Why I ride has changed for me. I usually ride alone. Whether on the road or in the woods. I like to clear my mind and just think about what I'm doing right now. I rode to get away from work, stress.

Then I started riding with my 8 year old daughter. We picked up her first real mountain bike a couple of months ago. We've done some short rides around the neighborhood, but this past weekend, we rode 20 miles along the Columbia Trail. Flat, easy, but the most fun I've had on a bike in a while.

The look on her face after the ride was priceless. I showed her some video of 6 Mile. She can't wait to hit the trails. Riding with my kid, who loves to ride, loves the outdoors, brings in a whole new element. Now, this is why I ride.

Why I ride has changed for me. I usually ride alone. Whether on the road or in the woods. I like to clear my mind and just think about what I'm doing right now. I rode to get away from work, stress.

Then I started riding with my 8 year old daughter. We picked up her first real mountain bike a couple of months ago. We've done some short rides around the neighborhood, but this past weekend, we rode 20 miles along the Columbia Trail. Flat, easy, but the most fun I've had on a bike in a while.

The look on her face after the ride was priceless. I showed her some video of 6 Mile. She can't wait to hit the trails. Riding with my kid, who loves to ride, loves the outdoors, brings in a whole new element. Now, this is why I ride.

Winner IMHO !!

Ride to have fun and enjoy the outdoors.

Also to relieve stress when life throws you a curve ball.

You know, when things are going well and then all of a sudden, it changes. Going for rides really helps with that.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom