Who likes to smoke their meat?

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
After St Patrick's, brisket can be had for pennies. Stock up for the smoker and brisket sausage. They won't have the fat cap, so you'll need to add 25% of the weight in some sort of fat for good sausage

ekuhn

Typical Weekend End BBQ Rib Smoke. Bought a brisket from Costco, but with the shitty unseasonable weather Sat/Sunday I just froze that.

Alternating Pecan and Apple wood chips. 4hrs all in. Apple Cider vinegar/Water/Crushed Red Pepper Flake spritz.

IMG_4505.jpeg

IMG_4512.jpeg

IMG_4518.jpeg

Patrick

Staff member
i also did the kettle grill smoke - using the charcoal holders and adding some every so often.
Was harder to maintain temp than i thought. kept it going for a couple hours, then wrapped in butcher paper and into the oven.
Came out juicy, with good smoke. Wasn't the meatiest rib rack.

1622569729684.png

1622570349846.png
1622583590750.png

Last edited:

ekuhn

i also did the kettle grill smoke - using the charcoal holders and adding some every so often.
Was harder to maintain temp than i thought. kept it going for a couple hours, then wrapped in butcher paper and into the oven.
Came out juicy, with good smoke. Wasn't the meatiest rib rack.

View attachment 158943

View attachment 158944
One of the reasons why I go with the "snake" method is to keep the heat pretty even. The baskets - no matter the position have a concentrated hot spot as compared to a slow radial burn. The rib rack also makes a huge difference as compared to laying them flat on the kettle - really need a offset with a large flat area to keep em flat. Allows more smoke to move around.

I've had good luck with the Costco ribs, both pre-seasonsed and bare. Pretty much my goto supplier.

Patrick

Staff member
Got some serious plans for next weekend. If you haven’t shopped yet, I’d urge you to try this low cost alternative. Easy to make also.

grab a pork loin. Not tenderloin. This is the center of a pork chop cut away from the bones. It is not small. This one is from Costco but I’ve seen them at shop rite.
3BA0DB9F-707B-4C86-94F5-BAE7E3F0E458.jpeg

check out the price! Bargain!

79A17956-85E4-4EDF-9631-F415D2B292D0.jpeg

after trimming a bit of fat and the membrane, it looked like this
0E4A1364-81C7-441B-B299-9905D443C0D5.jpeg

not much waste here.
559B2ACB-4B2E-4B11-9681-ECBD03DAEC9D.jpeg

look up apple cider brine. Only takes a few hours, then into the smoke. Don’t let it go to long.

comes out moist.
other options are to add a rub or butterfly!
lots of food, not lots of money

Patrick

Staff member
All hail the pig!
Was going to brine some brisket, salmon, and trout. And also spatchcock a couple of chickens,
but decided to go all in on the pork. I'm in trouble with one of the shoulders, it was in the back of the refrigerator and froze!
New this time around is 10lbs of pork belly. 6lbs as a scored slab, which i'll cut up later. 4 cubed, which will then be bathed in a bbq sauce mix,
and returned to the smoker. with this much meat in there, i'm expecting 10 hours - gunna be some hungry campers.

1625398398597.png

As always, 4th of July is an open house. Stop on by anytime after 3:00. Fireworks at dark.
If you can't find my house, your google-fu is broken, and you should take @Mitch's internet skills class.

Patrick

Staff member
No pictures - too hungry.

The pork belly was a success. the scored slab version just slowed things down.
next time - 1.5" cubes. Toss in Chinese 5 spice and brown sugar. Smoker for 6 hours or so.
Bathe in bbq/honey/butter sauce in a chafing pan another couple hours. Finish on gas grill at high heat.
Could use a screen on the gas grill - a few jumped into the fire.

ribs were falling off the bone - I cut them with a cleaver, and it wasn't sharp enough, so that didn't help.

Last edited:
Top Bottom