Who likes to smoke their meat?

So not sous vide but similar idea... Last night, I reverse seared some filet mignon steaks the wife picked up from Costco. There were on the smoker at 225º for about an hour or so to get them to 130º and then 2 minutes per side on the grill as hot as I could get it brought them to 140º (medium). They were the best steaks I’ve ever made.

Again, foodsaver FTW. We’ve never bought the Costco steaks before since they come in a big pack and it’s just 3 of us. Last night I split the pack in half and vac sealed the steaks we didn’t cook.
That reverse sear method is the best thing I've done for steaks and pork chops. The other week I made center cut, over 2" thick pork chops that way. 3 days later I heated them in the microwave and they were still juicy. I have yet to try them in the smoker.
What wood did you use for the steaks?

Nice! What wood did you choose?
-
the sous vide really shines on the reheat - you could set the water to 140 and not dry out/overcook leftovers (i have a teenager at home, this is limited right now)
I have a Traeger and lately I've been using Pit Boss competition blend pellets. A 50 pound bag of Pit Boss pellets is cheaper than a 20 pound bag of Traeger pellets.

I've reheated brisket sous vide and it was awesome. Definitely the way to go to preserve moisture on the reheat.

I have a Traeger and lately I've been using Pit Boss competition blend pellets. A 50 pound bag of Pit Boss pellets is cheaper than a 20 pound bag of Traeger pellets.
With you on all this- PB pellets are cheaper in general, and way cheaper if you catch them in stock at Lowe's ($15/40lb bag).
They also get better reviews re: smoke production than Traeger.
The only loss seems to be Traeger's pellets contain something to lubricate the auger mech,
so I mix some in here and there.

Picked up a 6 lb brisket - going to try to smoke it - first time ever smoking anything. Will likely be a disaster but anyone have a good recipe??

Picked up a 6 lb brisket - going to try to smoke it - first time ever smoking anything. Will likely be a disaster but anyone have a good recipe??

brine it - not critical, but works well, find one that sounds good - some are just saltwater, others add sugar, brown sugar, maple syrup, etc
----------if you want it to turn red, like pastrami, it needs to be cured, which is something you'd probably want to avoid.
rub it - again, look around - salt, pepper, garlic and onion powder, etc. eliminate any flavors you don't like
cook to 170 in smoker fat cap up - smoker temp 230-250.
wrap in foil or butcher paper - if you want to save charcoal, it can go to the oven now.
cook to 203
let rest 30 minutes
remove fat cap (it should almost slide off)
slice across the grain (very important)

what smoker ya got?
do you have an instant read or probe thermometer? they are critical here.
not wrapping a brisket will dry it out, and take forever (evaporative cooling)

Look up Myron Mixon‘s method for briskets. I just smoked a 17 pounder today using his routine and it was awesome. It’s the second time I’ve used his method and the second time I’ve had phenomenal results. The last 2 which were awesome came after maybe 10 tries resulting in everything just short of disaster to ok but nothing great.

brine it - not critical, but works well, find one that sounds good - some are just saltwater, others add sugar, brown sugar, maple syrup, etc
----------if you want it to turn red, like pastrami, it needs to be cured, which is something you'd probably want to avoid.
rub it - again, look around - salt, pepper, garlic and onion powder, etc. eliminate any flavors you don't like
cook to 170 in smoker fat cap up - smoker temp 230-250.
wrap in foil or butcher paper - if you want to save charcoal, it can go to the oven now.
cook to 203
let rest 30 minutes
remove fat cap (it should almost slide off)
slice across the grain (very important)

what smoker ya got?
do you have an instant read or probe thermometer? they are critical here.
not wrapping a brisket will dry it out, and take forever (evaporative cooling)

Thanks, will try. Using the primo kamado grill, have a probe thermo

Picked up a Yummly wireless thermometer at Lowes but I think it was too late. By the time I got it home, charged and in the brisket, temp was 200F. Resting now, will be tasting fiasco in ~ 30 min

20210212_173418.jpg

Yep. Analysis:

Came out better than I expected but it was overdone and dry on the thinner end. Tender and tasted very good. Mistake was not using the probe thermometer from the beginning: the temp by the meat was higher than the dial reading on the grill so I was cooking at more like 320 instead of 280.

View attachment 151665

View attachment 151667

Nice smoke ring and good bark! Looks better than my first attempt.

Yep. Analysis:

Came out better than I expected but it was overdone and dry on the thinner end. Tender and tasted very good. Mistake was not using the probe thermometer from the beginning: the temp by the meat was higher than the dial reading on the grill so I was cooking at more like 320 instead of 280.

View attachment 151665

View attachment 151667
Looks better than Grape Nuts. I usually smoke between 225-250, but it's a long day.

I’ve smoked them at 225 and 250 and you’re right, it’s a long day. The last 2 I did at 300 and they were far better than the ones that cooked slower.
Better bark at the higher temp, but got to get them wrapped on time for a moist result.

Back
Top Bottom