Who likes to smoke their meat?

I am new to all of this. I am sure my methods are completely wrong...

I always do chicken at 350. Seems to give it enough smoke even for a faster cook. I guess the theory is that chicken is a delicate flavor so it doesn't take much smoke to be too much? And 350 is high enough to get crispy skin. My father in law goes low and slow on chicken...always turns out rubbery and over-smoked.

Wings I do at 250 and just turn up at the end to crisp the skin. I guess I could probably just do them at 350 the whole time?
Yeah, from what I read, if you're doing skin on 350* is the right way.
Doing the wings at 250*/350* probably gets the better smoke flavor,
since the trick is once things reach a certain temp (I think 140* for pork for example),
they stop absorbing smoke.
So the slower you get there, the more smoke flavor you get.

This in mind, I wanted to do slow and low to maximize the flavor, and we usually cook skinless/boneless thighs anyway, so...

My wife was just enjoying some leftovers and telling me how great they are.
Sadly I have a poultry allergy, so I just have to take her word for it.

Crosspost because smoke tube- legit option for light smokes:

I have a 4 lb pork loin going on the BGE tomorrow. Trying to decide between smoking it vs. grilling/roasting it. Anyone have luck smoking pork loin? I've found some decent recipes. I've also read against it.

I have a 4 lb pork loin going on the BGE tomorrow. Trying to decide between smoking it vs. grilling/roasting it. Anyone have luck smoking pork loin? I've found some decent recipes. I've also read against it.

it comes out great - brine it, and do a rub.
there isn't much fat, so it can dry out quickly - use a thermometer right from the start.
I can't find the recipe I used, but i think it was rather simple.
Only took a couple hours - so adjust amount of charcoal.

BBQ smoked wings. Brined in salt water for 4 hours, little dry rub of mixed spices over night.
Smoked with oak and cherry for an hour, pulled them then put the sauce on, smoked for another hour and 15 minutes. Seared and ready to eat. They just keep getting better week to week. 20210116_134633.jpg

If it wasn't cut i'd def vac seal, then re-heat sous vide.
maybe vac seal a meal's worth of slices, and pick-on the rest during the week?
I did that with the last brisket I made. Got a foodsaver for Christmas so I smoked a big ol 17 pounder. I only sliced what we were going to eat and cut the leftovers into 4 big chunks, vac-sealed and tossed in freezer. Re-heated sous vide and then sliced and it was 99% of what it was right off the smoker. The bark softened up a little so next time I may experiment with sous vide followed by a couple minutes on the grill.

I was at Costco (the one near Bound Brook) they had full brisket full packers at 2.99 a lb. That's a good price.

Unless I invite everyone over for a bbq I have no use for a 15 lb brisket.

See above. ;)
You know, this is what the wife said. I guess I need to check my local costco, or take a trip up north.

Then I can cook a brisket and make some burnt ends.

On the same note, a friend has been cooking sous vide, and finishing off in the smoker, grill. He states that the meat is coming out great.

You know, this is what the wife said. I guess I need to check my local costco, or take a trip up north.

Then I can cook a brisket and make some burnt ends.

On the same note, a friend has been cooking sous vide, and finishing off in the smoker, grill. He states that the meat is coming out great.

So not sous vide but similar idea... Last night, I reverse seared some filet mignon steaks the wife picked up from Costco. There were on the smoker at 225º for about an hour or so to get them to 130º and then 2 minutes per side on the grill as hot as I could get it brought them to 140º (medium). They were the best steaks I’ve ever made.

Again, foodsaver FTW. We’ve never bought the Costco steaks before since they come in a big pack and it’s just 3 of us. Last night I split the pack in half and vac sealed the steaks we didn’t cook.

So not sous vide but similar idea... Last night, I reverse seared some filet mignon steaks the wife picked up from Costco. There were on the smoker at 225º for about an hour or so to get them to 130º and then 2 minutes per side on the grill as hot as I could get it brought them to 140º (medium). They were the best steaks I’ve ever made.

Again, foodsaver FTW. We’ve never bought the Costco steaks before since they come in a big pack and it’s just 3 of us. Last night I split the pack in half and vac sealed the steaks we didn’t cook.

Nice! What wood did you choose?
-
the sous vide really shines on the reheat - you could set the water to 140 and not dry out/overcook leftovers (i have a teenager at home, this is limited right now)

Back
Top Bottom