Our rub in its deconstructed form.

1580600621526.png

Tomorrow's menu:
Smoked Dry Brined salmon, and salmon dip
Smoked wet brined salmon
Smoked wet brined talapia dip
Pulled Pork
Ribs two ways.
Drumsticks - i might want to do them crispy, so not sure. boiled and wok fried maybe?

Awesome box there Pat.
If I leave now, I might just make it for kick off!

can't be sealed to put the coals out to save for next time.
Not sure if you've had success with this,
but I found using recycled charcoal made for some widely variable cooking temps,
and major spikes.

Not sure if you've had success with this,
but I found using recycled charcoal made for some widely variable cooking temps,
and major spikes.

The briquettes seem to do ok. wood burns hotter than charcoal, so gotta watch that.
I may need to try the all wood method - gotta wrap the meat after a couple hours, or it will
be too smokey.

Food came out good. The shoulder stalled, so it wasn't done in time. not that we needed more to eat.
fish is a bit on the salty side -

1580741808788.png

Tried to double smoke a spiral ham. Struggled with keeping temps over 250.

8699D7BD-31AE-4FB0-B110-8A0FFCB9FFEF.jpeg

Piggy backed some pork belly for burnt ends. Some ends got more burnt way more than others and I didn’t check often since the heat was struggling. The ones that came out great, where great.

30583F3B-767B-4537-AD37-7FEED93DE16D.jpeg

Pineapple Habenaro glaze on the burnt ends. Blackberry glaze on the ham.

Ham was 7/10. She made insta pot mac and cheese, and that rocked the meal.

Did a reverse sear on a thick cut prime ribeye for 2 last night. No pics, but i've been following the simple procedure i saw this guy Harry Soo on youtube and it comes out awesome and it goes like this. Season with Cosmos moisture magic, kosher salt and Harry's BBQ beef rub. Throw on smoker set to 225* (i use my Traeger) till about 120-125*f internal (about 45-60 mins). Pull steak and sear on grill (or on smoker once up to searing temp) for a couple mins per side. Let rest, carve and enjoy. We had a delicious cali petit verdot with it, just awesome.

Dusted off the smoker, because I got time, right?
Couple of racks of baby backs with beans and jalapeño Mac and cheese.

Came out okay-
Temps held nicely between 230-245*
Smoke ring not awesome (mostly chips instead of chunks), and somehow a little dry despite full water pan. Reheat in a moist oven and they’ll be great.
46FACE84-3EAB-4C1F-B8D9-373A482447DB.jpeg

0E836B4B-FB61-4EB7-938C-A558A3FE15A6.jpeg

F5C5F758-F195-47FD-B475-2BACE0E91B25.jpeg

141E986A-0395-40B8-9682-65CCFA83DF23.jpeg

352A6540-B619-4814-8939-DE3C0C485EDA.jpeg

Using residual to touch up the kielbasa reserves
404A3874-F364-4E90-AEBD-6443103AFC88.jpeg

^^^ What is your rib smoking procedure out of curiosity? I can see the meat is slightly rebated on the bone implying it might have used a little longer in the cook. Also carving them all up front will accelerate drying as now they are all exposed to air internally. IF you're pressed for time, even transferring to the oven wrapped in foil to accelerate can help. Generally, tough/dry ribs are underdone. As they cook longer, they will break down and get less tough. Getting the sweet spot means they will be moist, succulent and have a slight chew or even begin to fall off the bone. Going too far, they will still be fall-off-the-bone style but also begin to dry out. That's the general spectrum of rib done-ness.

I do mine for 5-6 hours with a few variances in foiling vs not depending on the type, size and desired texture of the meat.

In general, the only moisture you develop inside the meat is what already there--fats, connective tissue, water, etc. Developing the most juicy result will solely depend on rendering what is already there to the fullest potential without going over and beginning to dry it out. This means staring with a cut that has sufficient internal marbling and then cooking low and sufficiently long to render those tissues but not long enough to begin overdrying. There are some slight exceptions like liquid injections but those are more so for flavor as those will perform some internal basting but largely get evaporated on long cooks and any leftover will certainly come gushing out once you cut into it.

And generally speaking, any external moisture source like water pans or spray bottles are for bark development as you cannot get external moisture to penetrate back into the depths of the meat. Same goes for the fat cap, some folks believe leaving a healthy fat cap on top will let it "baste back into" the meat but its not really the case.

So any meat that seems dry is really just either undercooked (not fully rendered internally) or overcooked (too rendered with moisture loss).

You might want to experiment a bit with the time and procedure to see what works best with the gear you have. ITs hard to dedicate the smoker to one thing for the entire time so i'll often use the oven in conjunction if a step doesn't require smoke. And there's always a limit to how much smoke a cut will benefit from--about 3 hours is all ribs will absorb if you have good smoke.

Although this is for beef, heres' an interesting timeline for how the tissues begin to break down during a cook. IF you've every heard of "The stall", that happens right around 150*f for big roasts like brisket and butts that get taken to 200+ as the evaporation phase sets in.

COOKING MEAT TEMPERATURES

105F/40C - 122F/50C --Calpains begin to denature and lose activity till around 105F, cathepsains at 122F. Since enzyme activity increases up to those temperatures, slow cooking can provide a significant aging effect during cooking. Meat should however be quickly seared or blanched first to kill surface microbes.

120°F/50°C -- Meat develops a white opacity as heat sensitive myosin denatures. Coagulation produces large enough clumps to scatter light. Red meat turns pink.

140°F/60°C -- Red myoglobin begins to denature into tan colored hemichrome. Meat turns from pink to brown-grey color.

140°F/60°C -- Meat suddenly releases lots of juice, shrinks noticeably, and becomes chewy as a result of collagen denaturing which squeezes out liquids.

160°F/70°C -- Connective tissue collagen begins to dissolve to gelatin. Melting of collagen starts to accelerate at 160F and continues rapidly up to 180F

NOTES: At 140°F changes are caused by the denaturing of collagen in the cells. Meat served at this temperature med-rare is changing from juicy to dry. At 160°F/ 70°C connective tissue collagen begins to dissolve to gelatin. This however is a very lengthy process. The fibers are still stiff and dry but meat seems more tender. Source: Harold McGee -- On Food and Cooking

Scattered among the muscle fibers are fat cells which store energy for the muscles. Fat is crucial to meat texture. Waxy when it is cold, fat does not evaporate when you are cooking as does water. It melts and lubricates the fibers as they are getting tougher under the heat. Fat is also the source of much of the flavor in meat. As the animal ages the flavor compounds build up and get stronger. After the animal is slaughtered, the fat can turn rancid if stored improperly or too long.

^^^ What is your rib smoking procedure out of curiosity? I can see the meat is slightly rebated on the bone implying it might have used a little longer in the cook. Also carving them all up front will accelerate drying as now they are all exposed to air internally. IF you're pressed for time, even transferring to the oven wrapped in foil to accelerate can help. Generally, tough/dry ribs are underdone. As they cook longer, they will break down and get less tough. Getting the sweet spot means they will be moist, succulent and have a slight chew or even begin to fall off the bone. Going too far, they will still be fall-off-the-bone style but also begin to dry out. That's the general spectrum of rib done-ness.

I do mine for 5-6 hours with a few variances in foiling vs not depending on the type, size and desired texture of the meat.

In general, the only moisture you develop inside the meat is what already there--fats, connective tissue, water, etc. Developing the most juicy result will solely depend on rendering what is already there to the fullest potential without going over and beginning to dry it out. This means staring with a cut that has sufficient internal marbling and then cooking low and sufficiently long to render those tissues but not long enough to begin overdrying. There are some slight exceptions like liquid injections but those are more so for flavor as those will perform some internal basting but largely get evaporated on long cooks and any leftover will certainly come gushing out once you cut into it.

And generally speaking, any external moisture source like water pans or spray bottles are for bark development as you cannot get external moisture to penetrate back into the depths of the meat. Same goes for the fat cap, some folks believe leaving a healthy fat cap on top will let it "baste back into" the meat but its not really the case.

So any meat that seems dry is really just either undercooked (not fully rendered internally) or overcooked (too rendered with moisture loss).

You might want to experiment a bit with the time and procedure to see what works best with the gear you have. ITs hard to dedicate the smoker to one thing for the entire time so i'll often use the oven in conjunction if a step doesn't require smoke. And there's always a limit to how much smoke a cut will benefit from--about 3 hours is all ribs will absorb if you have good smoke.

Although this is for beef, heres' an interesting timeline for how the tissues begin to break down during a cook. IF you've every heard of "The stall", that happens right around 150*f for big roasts like brisket and butts that get taken to 200+ as the evaporation phase sets in.

COOKING MEAT TEMPERATURES

105F/40C - 122F/50C --Calpains begin to denature and lose activity till around 105F, cathepsains at 122F. Since enzyme activity increases up to those temperatures, slow cooking can provide a significant aging effect during cooking. Meat should however be quickly seared or blanched first to kill surface microbes.

120°F/50°C -- Meat develops a white opacity as heat sensitive myosin denatures. Coagulation produces large enough clumps to scatter light. Red meat turns pink.

140°F/60°C -- Red myoglobin begins to denature into tan colored hemichrome. Meat turns from pink to brown-grey color.

140°F/60°C -- Meat suddenly releases lots of juice, shrinks noticeably, and becomes chewy as a result of collagen denaturing which squeezes out liquids.

160°F/70°C -- Connective tissue collagen begins to dissolve to gelatin. Melting of collagen starts to accelerate at 160F and continues rapidly up to 180F

NOTES: At 140°F changes are caused by the denaturing of collagen in the cells. Meat served at this temperature med-rare is changing from juicy to dry. At 160°F/ 70°C connective tissue collagen begins to dissolve to gelatin. This however is a very lengthy process. The fibers are still stiff and dry but meat seems more tender. Source: Harold McGee -- On Food and Cooking

Scattered among the muscle fibers are fat cells which store energy for the muscles. Fat is crucial to meat texture. Waxy when it is cold, fat does not evaporate when you are cooking as does water. It melts and lubricates the fibers as they are getting tougher under the heat. Fat is also the source of much of the flavor in meat. As the animal ages the flavor compounds build up and get stronger. After the animal is slaughtered, the fat can turn rancid if stored improperly or too long.
Wow. Informative post for sure.

This was my first time dusting off the smoker in a very long while,
but the procedure is largely the same.
I probably pulled them off at about 4.5 hours,
but yes, I have typically done them longer in the past and gotten the desired results (pulling back from the one a bit more, moister).
Temp control was really pretty good- I was happy it held the range easily (230-245*, but mostly around 235*)
I did not consider that dryness could be because undercooked,
I'll make sure I have adequate time next session- Thanks!

Starting to get the hang of this. Wife bought me the smoker for v-day. I bought myself the 4probe leave in thermostat
Tonight was 'drunken drumsticks ' came out good.

Now to get some simple recipies to build me experience!
20200407_153838.jpg
20200407_173748.jpg

Bbq sauce was also homemade my yours truly

Wife made potatoe salad to compliment

20200407_173754.jpg

Starting to get the hang of this. Wife bought me the smoker for v-day. I bought myself the 4probe leave in thermostat
Tonight was 'drunken drumsticks ' came out good.

Now to get some simple recipies to build me experience!
View attachment 124720
View attachment 124719

Bbq sauce was also homemade my yours truly

Wife made potatoe salad to compliment

View attachment 124721
Sweet! If you want to do something bigge try a pork butt. They are pretty resilient to temperature swings.

Some of the more simple and easy things to smoke are whole fryer chickens, pork tenderloins and steaks. These are the things that dont take too much time, have few steps and are hard to screw up. Chickens you actually roast so you smoker needs to be able get to 350-400* and only takes an hour. Put the probe in the thigh (ignore any plastic pop indicator if there is one) and when the probe reads 165 she's done. Pork tenderloins take about 60-90 mins at 225* smoker temp to reach 145* internal (no more, no less) and are so tender its hard to make the tough. Let rest for 10 mins before carving to allow juices to redistribute. Steaks can be done in the reverse sear method: smoke steak until 5-10 degrees below your target temp. For example, if you like your ribeye med-rare (130-135*f internal), smoke at 225* until meat is 120-125* internal. In the mean time, get your grill or pan searing hot, then sear the steaks quickly on both sides, let rest for 5 mins, then enjoy!

I can't think of a better way to spend discretionary income when the economy and finances are going to complete shit than by buying a smoker. I picked up a Traeger pellet smoker to be exact. It might be "cheating" but it's a hell of a lot better than my propane grill with a smoke tube in it.

Anyway, I made some baby back ribs on Sunday. They were excellent. I need to adjust my rub a little (less salt) but the process worked great.

This was after 2.5 hours of smoke and 2.5 hours wrapped. I sauced them and threw them back on to set the sauce a little.
20200412_212317838_iOS.jpg

Bon Appetit!
20200412_212557822_iOS.jpg

Back
Top Bottom