Who likes to smoke their meat?

ekuhn

Labor Day Smoke dodging raindrops. Really like the snake method, but if I did it again, I might have just gone with a single basket and kept stocking. Bought Boneless shoulder - had to cut into two pieces on how it was deboned. Used Killer Hogs BBQ Rub on Chicken and 1 pork half, Hot BBQ Rub on the other pork half. Pre made some White BBQ sauce that was a hit. Once done, pulled it all apart and made sandwiches with pickles and red onions. Inspired by Malcom Reed's HowToBBQRight on Youtube.

IMG_9363.jpeg

IMG_9365.jpeg

IMG_9374.jpeg

IMG_9376.jpeg

IMG_9379.jpeg

IMG_9366.jpeg

IMG_9378.jpeg

qclabrat

Labor Day Smoke dodging raindrops. Really like the snake method, but if I did it again, I might have just gone with a single basket and kept stocking. Bought Boneless shoulder - had to cut into two pieces on how it was deboned. Used Killer Hogs BBQ Rub on Chicken and 1 pork half, Hot BBQ Rub on the other pork half. Pre made some White BBQ sauce that was a hit. Once done, pulled it all apart and made sandwiches with pickles and red onions. Inspired by Malcom Reed's HowToBBQRight on Youtube.

View attachment 104367

View attachment 104368

View attachment 104370

View attachment 104372

View attachment 104373

View attachment 104369

View attachment 104374
Ed, getting things dialed in nicely. I'm in the camp of optimizing smokeheat vs direct heat. I feel it gives a deeper smoke. Especially for meats with long cook times like brisket or delicate fish like trout. I usually have terrible luck cooking chicken with anything else, well done sir

knobbyhead

Next off the Island.
Ed, getting things dialed in nicely. I'm in the camp of optimizing smokeheat vs direct heat. I feel it gives a deeper smoke. Especially for meats with long cook times like brisket or delicate fish like trout. I usually have terrible luck cooking chicken with anything else, well done sir

I did a spatchcock chicken once. It came out yummy. The trick for chicken is higher heat. Like 350 degrees.

My favorite recipe for chicken pieces is road side chicken. It messes up the grill but it comes out so good. Recipe here: https://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?33874-Roadside-Chicken

ekuhn

Thanks Walter. I’ve been experimenting a lot.

I did a spatchcock chicken once. It came out yummy. The trick for chicken is higher heat. Like 350 degrees.

My favorite recipe for chicken pieces is road side chicken. It messes up the grill but it comes out so good. Recipe here: https://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?33874-Roadside-Chicken

I was no higher than like 280 on this one. Been wanting to do a spatchcock chicken, but that recipe has a lot of maintenance. I’ll have to breakout the vortex to keep that kind of heat.

qclabrat

Interesting

Nice features you see only in high end smoker grills. Primary issue is the low gauge steel used which makes it hard to maintain low temps and you'll constantly free the side box. You actually see the lids bend as they film opening and closing them. No comprise for heavy, there's a reason the good smokers, BGE and even Webers are efficient cookers. It tries to capture tech but falls short in build.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Thinking about doing something stupid.....

https://www.backwoods-smoker.com/

i hate round smokers. butts are round :p but everything else is square.
and hanging things in the bullet just sucks, and near impossible in a kamado style...
Doing something this dumb would require much more use....think metric sh*t ton, which is serious.

qclabrat

Thinking about doing something stupid.....

https://www.backwoods-smoker.com/

i hate round smokers. butts are round :p but everything else is square.
and hanging things in the bullet just sucks, and near impossible in a kamado style...
Doing something this dumb would require much more use....think metric sh*t ton, which is serious.
this is nice, their Chubby model is the gold standard for those beginning serious competitions. Price is reasonable, though with lead time, it's likely made in China.

Patrick

Staff member
this is nice, their Chubby model is the gold standard for those beginning serious competitions. Price is reasonable, though with lead time, it's likely made in China.

i'm not sure i'm an entry level guy ;)

they ship within a week via common carrier, cause of the weight.
the longer lead time is when it is customized with a fixed stand or custom paint.
still researching - but i do prefer the water smoker, and some room to load it up!

qclabrat

i'm not sure i'm an entry level guy ;)

they ship within a week via common carrier, cause of the weight.
the longer lead time is when it is customized with a fixed stand or custom paint.
still researching - but i do prefer the water smoker, and some room to load it up!
I've always been a big fan of this smoker company in PA. They make really solid pieces you see at all the local competitions, serious amateurs will use Onyx and Backwoods, but they are too small for a party. Meadowcreek now makes a box model. Looks great and built like a tank. I'd love to make some chinese roast pork with that, "char siu".

https://www.meadowcreekbbq.com/catalog/barbecue-smokers/bx25-box-smoker/

Patrick

Staff member
Since you're not an entry level guy, what about one of these for all the group rides next summer? Bet we can weld on a receiver for your bike rack.

https://www.yodersmokers.com/frontiersman-trailer.html

I pitched that to the wife. We could do the food festival thing. Didn't fly

I've always been a big fan of this smoker company in PA. They make really solid pieces you see at all the local competitions, serious amateurs will use Onyx and Backwoods, but they are too small for a party. Meadowcreek now makes a box model. Looks great and built like a tank. I'd love to make some chinese roast pork with that, "char siu".

https://www.meadowcreekbbq.com/catalog/barbecue-smokers/bx25-box-smoker/

Will do some digging. Same price range.
Thanks for the lead!

Last edited:

ekuhn

Had some folks over for NYE. Cheated a bit and got the pre-rubbed St Louis ribs from Costco. No pictures of the setup as I was running around. Did have a hard time getting the grill up past 250 and it wasn't even that cold out. Did the charcoal snake method with Pecan for just about 3 hours. Spray with Apple Juice and Water mix at 2 hour mark, sauce at 160 degrees, and pull off at 165+ and re-sauce. Smoke ring was deeper than I thought it would be. Came out fantastic with really minimal input and enjoyed by all.

IMG_0635.jpeg

IMG_0636.jpeg

Patrick

Staff member
NSD (new smoker day)

Seasoned the smoker on friday night (rub down the inside with veg oil and run a chimney full of coals around 350F)

so we are off and ready -

Dry rubbed the ribs and butt last night - quite a bit of liquid came out.
Purchased the Chupacabra Rub

1578839842566.png

Meanwhile, dry brining some salmon for about 8 hours - sugar, salt, pepper - 10oz or so filet, skin removed.

1578840062338.png

Light 'er up - bottom firebox, with water bath and reverse flow smoking - the exhaust for the box is on the bottom,
smoke comes in through the top via channels in the side. Plenty of room for more ribs and butt and chix, and .....

1578840120502.png

Last edited:

Patrick

Staff member
Decent results for the first time using a big box.

1 - it has a huge charcoal box. and can't be sealed to put the coals out to save for next time. It is still going
about 13 hours later.
2 - water tray is huge. need a hose to fill it!
3 - adding a whole chimney of lit coals is going to produce 300deg quickly - gotta cut back
4 - chupacabra brisket magic is too salty for ribs.
5 - thin salmon fillet ends up too salty - the thick part was fine.

Ribs came out juicy, and easy to pull off the bone. The higher heat made them have a thicker bark than optimal. I like burnt bits, so good for me, but the crowd differed.
The shoulder cooked up fine, and pulled easy.
The beef ribs from that prime rib roast around christmas went on for a couple hours (it was already cooked) - not enough time to break down the connective crap - threw in garbage.
The thick part of the salmon was fine. very tasty. Needed a sweet note, that i didn't do cause if finished faster than expected.

1578880876445.png

Top Bottom