Who likes to smoke their meat?

Why shorten the times?
Hmm. I've read they cook faster split. Also I was going to cook them longer uncovered, bit I liked how they look now. I'll check them in 90 mins and if they're not done I'll check them every 10 ish mins.

Once they're pretty much done, I'll unwrap and sauce them up for another 10.

Why shorten the times?
321 isn't always good for all types of ribs. If you get baby backs from Costco who likes to leave a generous portion of the loin still attached, 321 works good because the 2 hour braise step will break them down and be tender. On the other hand, if your ribs are thinner like St Louis cut (or just thin, stingy cut baby's), 321 will render them so soft, they will damn near disintegrate and you'll have pulled pork that night rather than ribs. Gotta adjust the different phases for the rib type. Lastly, the braise step not only tenderises, but also affects the flavor a bit. Less smoke time and more roast pork flavor then bbq so braising only the needed amount is key for truly exceptional bbq ribs.

Ok ... I'm in!! Last week my pit barrel was delivered. Made a whole chicken and pork loin so far. Taste wonderful.

Having problems with the meat temperature stalling, the barrel temp is 225* Any ideas, open the vent and raise it to 250*?

Ok ... I'm in!! Last week my pit barrel was delivered. Made a whole chicken and pork loin so far. Taste wonderful.

Having problems with the meat temperature stalling, the barrel temp is 225* Any ideas, open the vent and raise it to 250*?

don't go from fridge to smoker, gotta let it warm up a bit - hour or so should do it.
Some of the stall is moisture going from liquid to gas state - i'm more on the high temp differential between center and outside.
perhaps related?

And patience! Trying to push it will result in overdone outside - I'm eyeballing a chunk of pork loin i have for next weekend!

How did you prepare your pork?

I used lemon pepper and salt on mine. I did 2 for the landlord at the same time and he used a rub. Mine were really good, did not get a sample of his, but the kids said it was awesome.
Just seems to take longer than youtuber's I watched. Have read up about the stall, still not sure what to do...

I used lemon pepper and salt on mine. I did 2 for the landlord at the same time and he used a rub. Mine were really good, did not get a sample of his, but the kids said it was awesome.
Just seems to take longer than youtuber's I watched. Have read up about the stall, still not sure what to do...

just to be sure, pork loin, not pork tenderloin?

2.5lb pork loin cut from a 10lb slab - i would suspect a couple hours - 3 tops

also the location in the smoker vs the thermometer
putting food right above a water bath is lower temp than the top -

which smoker did you get?

question for the more experienced here since my wife has already started talking about having a bbq once this thing finally blows over to see our friends and catch up.

when doing ribs for this type of event, do you smoke the rack intact and then cut up to serve after, or do you separate the ribs and smoke individually? Im inclined to leave them intact and cut them up just for serving

Stalling (or temporary leveling of internal temp growth) is purely a function of evaporative cooling. Liquid is escaping from the meat and evaporating at the surface. This causes a localised cooling effect on the surface of the meat that resists the transference of cooker heat internally. There's only 2 ways to address it: 1. ignore it and power through the stall if you have the time, or 2. wrap the meat with paper or foil to block the evaporation process. For smaller pieces, just wait it out, it will pick up again soon enough. But for large items like full bone in pork butts or packer briskets wrapping is a common process and can cut an hour or 2 from the overall cook. Using butcher paper you reduce the braising effect on the meat and preserve the bark a little more so many folks have found that to be a happy medium to foil. Another positive side effect of wrapping is being able to capture jus. But the last thing you want to do is alter the temp. A few degrees raise wont have much effect and if you really crank it up, you go from smoking to roasting which isnt ideal for bbq.

Last edited:
Not smoked but cured...delayed Easter package from my mom...original Parmigiano Reggiano, cured inner pig thight (like prosciutto but with no fat) and Naples hot sausage (sort of pepperoni but way better). And some other sweet delicacies as well as some Amaro Averna...

pacco-mamma.jpg

question for the more experienced here since my wife has already started talking about having a bbq once this thing finally blows over to see our friends and catch up.

when doing ribs for this type of event, do you smoke the rack intact and then cut up to serve after, or do you separate the ribs and smoke individually? Im inclined to leave them intact and cut them up just for serving

cut afterwards. unless cutting a rack in half to make it fit.

just to be sure, pork loin, not pork tenderloin?

2.5lb pork loin cut from a 10lb slab - i would suspect a couple hours - 3 tops

also the location in the smoker vs the thermometer
putting food right above a water bath is lower temp than the top -

which smoker did you get?
I have the pit barrel jr. The meat gets hung, no water tray.
Pork tenderloin is what I cooked. Was 4+ hours to get it up to temp. Supposedly should be 2 hours.

I have the pit barrel jr. The meat gets hung, no water tray.
Pork tenderloin is what I cooked. Was 4+ hours to get it up to temp. Supposedly should be 2 hours.

That is long. I can do tenderloins in 90 mins at 225 and they're too small for evaporative stalling.

When it was finally done, did it seem dry and overcooked? I would suspect either the cooker thermometer or the meat thermometer at this point. If you're using the built in lid thermometer, they're notorious for being off. Getting not only a separate digital unit, but also one of high quality is essential. Same for the meat probe.

Also, if you were lifting the lid frequently to check, that can delay the cook as well. Every time u do that, the heat is lost and, "if you're lookin, you ain't cookin!"

Back
Top Bottom