White trail closure

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
education is better than enforcement - and that we stand with the land managers - would be the purpose.

this is making my head hurt - second time though it -
http://www.nj.gov/dep/rules/rules/njac7_2.pdf

need to find the penalties that go with it.

Something like
--------
this trail is
CLOSED

NJAC 7.2.x.yz
Prohibits blah blah blah
Fines of
$$$$$

NJSP & NJDEP
---

i haven't figured out how to work the jorba part in, maybe just sponsor the sign, with a QR code & logo?

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Pat, you crack me up.
People who break rules don't read rules.

Maybe if you gave this guy a badge?

Alfonso Bedoya as Gold Hat-8x6.jpg

Patrick

Staff member
it isn't just a warning for banditos, but a statement of JORBA's (those it represents) position.
so it is a bit of marketing to the land manager too.

Answering the question of 'why is this trail closed' may be enough,
others might respond to repercussions for re-opening/riding a closed trail.
i suspect that area is closed - not the trail. one can walk wherever they want in 6MR - but can not build trails, two different things.

Last edited:

Allamuchy Joe

Not White House Approved
JORBA.ORG
Yep, another reason to quite riding that overused park. On another note, is there any plan to open the newly acquired areas across 206 to the public? Any trail planning going on with public input?

Arwen's Mom

Mother of Dragons, Breaker of Chains
what I cant understand is the mentality that some dont care about saving an endangered plant. What if it contained the cure for cancer? then what? why do some people think that its ok to destroy nature and not be concerned about the consequences? why so centered on themselves and not anybody else? just go ride elsewhere. How can that one small section of trail be so much better than all the other choices we have to ride?
to those of you who think this stinks...well...what if you lost the PRIVILEGE to ride in the park? AND IT IS A PRIVILEGE!!!
but I am repeating what others have said. Sorry...carry on...

Patrick

Staff member
what I cant understand is the mentality that some dont care about saving an endangered plant. What if it contained the cure for cancer? then what? why do some people think that its ok to destroy nature and not be concerned about the consequences? why so centered on themselves and not anybody else? just go ride elsewhere. How can that one small section of trail be so much better than all the other choices we have to ride?
to those of you who think this stinks...well...what if you lost the PRIVILEGE to ride in the park? AND IT IS A PRIVILEGE!!!
but I am repeating what others have said. Sorry...carry on...

i think it is a jump to say they understand why the trail was closed. or maybe the first person did, that undid the closure, and the rest just follow.

mntal

You're all correct, there are oodles of trails to ride. However, the ridiculous part of this is that people feel we need to bend for some plant that may or may not be there, and I am sure it's not in the middle of the trail. I doubt a 6 inch wide trail through some terrain is going to cause a large scale break down of the environment and society.

And don't worry, I am not going to go smash the little plant.

Patrick

Staff member
You're all correct, there are oodles of trails to ride. However, the ridiculous part of this is that people feel we need to bend for some plant that may or may not be there, and I am sure it's not in the middle of the trail. I doubt a 6 inch wide trail through some terrain is going to cause a large scale break down of the environment and society.

And don't worry, I am not going to go smash the little plant.

exactly - the plant is not in the middle of the trail, cause nothing grows there, cause we keep running it over.

it is the will of society to save the whales, save the plants, save the....

it is now in my back yard "IMBY" - and i choose to yield to the will of society for this postage stamp of land, so
society doesn't classify me as an enemy of all the woods.

mntal

Sometimes the will of society needs to be overridden by the logic of the intelligent.

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Just saw this on Facebook. Here's what can happen...

FB_IMG_1462410063435.jpg

mntal

OK cool, but the white trail didn't seem very illegal considering it was there forever and was formally marked. I am not an expert but I don't see may illegal trails that in your face. Maybe the park rangers are bored and need to justify their existence?

Patrick

Staff member
it would seem that if someone was hiking that rogue, closed trail, they should be fined also

this is an excellent example of what the people in power think. they see it as their only option.

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
OK cool, but the white trail didn't seem very illegal considering it was there forever and was formally marked. I am not an expert but I don't see may illegal trails that in your face. Maybe the park rangers are bored and need to justify their existence?
Why so angry?
Park Rangers don't make the decision to close trails, their boss does. There job is to enforce a closure.
I don't know why the trail is being closed and it really doesn't matter. What does matter is that you respect the people who run the park otherwise you will be kicked out of the park. It's that simple.

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
If soil conditions allow, it may make sense to run a garden rototiller down the tread of a section that needs to be closed.

I have seen some use of these in the northwest and it usually make the tread totally disappear.

This would work at 6mr with our rock free soil and I am about to try it.

trailhead

JORBA: Wildcat/Splitrock
JORBA.ORG
The state bought the land back in April 2014 -- 2 years ago! I have not heard 1 thing about that yet. It was supposed to add 222 acres to Kittatinny (18% increase in land). Yep, another reason to quite riding that overused park. On another note, is there any plan to open the newly acquired areas across 206 to the public? Any trail planning going on with public input?

There is certainly justification for some frustration towards the NJDEP. But consider who was at the table fighting for the preservation of this land....unfortunately we were not there. We have benefited many times from preservation efforts. It may not have resulted in new trails, but I'm sure it kept existing trails open which would have turned into developments.

xc62701

If soil conditions allow, it may make sense to run a garden rototiller down the tread of a section that needs to be closed.

I have seen some use of these in the northwest and it usually make the tread totally disappear.

We did the same with pick axes and McClouds. That place is so rocky it would have been destroyed in the first few feet of the trail. Good idea though.

Fat Trout

I gave a hand with this effort on Saturday. Apparently it was originally an unmarked illegal trail that was marked accidentally by some good intentioned Boy Scouts who were helping the park in an approved effort to update trail markings.

The up side to shutting this trail was that the good faith is helping the relationship with the park. After shutting the trail we also worked on opening up a small piece of trail that the park agreed to....granted not nearly as fun as the closed one. There are also discussions on some other work in the future. That's progress even if small.

Top Bottom